• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Hoops Stats

His career record post 11-12 mess is 119-114 and 67-59 in the watered down CAA   That’s a 51% and 53% winning percentage 

Pat was hired in the spring of 2011 Since then there have been 17 other coaches in who have been at their school the same amount of time or longer without making the ncaa tournament. 336 programs have either made the tournament, canned their coach or left in that time frame.

Those teams are:

Toledo * #

Sam Houston state * #

Saint Francis NY * #

UL Monroe #

Hartford

Sacramento St

Houston Baptist College #

Charleston southern * #

UNH

Boston university * #

Eastern Michigan

Texas A&M corpus Christi #

Penn state

Nebraska-Omaha #

Monmouth * #

Navy

Northern Illinois    

* won regular season title at-least once 

# played in conf champ game at-least once 

so that leaves 7 other coaches in all of D1 college hoops who are still employed at their school without making the conference title game or winning a regular season championship... words don’t even describe how mind boggling that is.  Add in idiot Leonard’s extension for Pat, I can almost guarantee he will be alone on that list in a year or so.

FIRE PAT & TIM!

• Like 1

Look, by any objective standard, he should be fired. Overall mediocre record, lack of impact HS recruits, futility in conference tournament play, inept offense, year after year. 

What, if anything, can we, as the few of us who are passionate about TU basketball do about this? Voice our displeasure to the university president? I guess, but that & 50 cents will get you, well, I don’t know what it will get you, but I don’t think it will get us a new coach. The harsh reality is that the contract extension several years ago is an albatross that will hang around our necks until spring 2027. If anyone has any PLAUSIBLE suggestions how to effectuate regime change I’d love to hear it

I only see one way of ending his contract prematurely.  That is reverting back to the 5 wins or less seasons from which we came from during the Pat's cats era. Higher ups would have no choice but to make a change. That may be difficult since he does recruit moderately well. Coaching and developing is a different story...

Skerry was lucky enough to replace total ineptitude in Pat Kennedy (in fairness was in a tougher CAA). When you replace total ineptitude you often get rewarded for achieving mediocrity. My brother went to the University of Hartford and they are in the same exact position with their coach John Gallagher. 

This is not meant to defend Skerry, but there has pretty much been total ineptitude around this program since the last year of Terry Truax (95-96 was our last solid non-Skerry year) and everyone else before Skerry (not just Kennedy). There have been some pretty good years under Skerry, but this is all starting to go in the wrong direction. Everyone who has criticized Skerry has a very one-sided, short-term memory view of this program. However, I will agree with most of what is being said at this point because since the end of the 2017-18 season this program has mostly been a debacle. I just have three questions: 

What is your realistic plan to replace Skerry? (I know this has been talked about plenty)
How are you going to get a better coach with the current decision-makers in place?
Who are the realistic candidates for Towson based on our budget and job stature that you think can do better based on what this program has been for the last 23-24 years?

• Like 1

Realistically Skerry will be here but hopefully TL will not in the near future. Maybe new leadership will get a pep in his step?

13 hours ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Skerry was lucky enough to replace total ineptitude in Pat Kennedy (in fairness was in a tougher CAA). When you replace total ineptitude you often get rewarded for achieving mediocrity. My brother went to the University of Hartford and they are in the same exact position with their coach John Gallagher. 

My condolences for your family and your college hoops nightmares.

17 hours ago, tualum said:

I only see one way of ending his contract prematurely.  That is reverting back to the 5 wins or less seasons from which we came from during the Pat's cats era. Higher ups would have no choice but to make a change. That may be difficult since he does recruit moderately well. Coaching and developing is a different story...

5 win seasons under PK aren't much worse than 12 win season Skerry. The CAA is awful in comparison and the easy D2/D3/NAIA games.

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

This is not meant to defend Skerry, but there has pretty much been total ineptitude around this program since the last year of Terry Truax (95-96 was our last solid non-Skerry year) and everyone else before Skerry (not just Kennedy). There have been some pretty good years under Skerry, but this is all starting to go in the wrong direction. Everyone who has criticized Skerry has a very one-sided, short-term memory view of this program. However, I will agree with most of what is being said at this point because since the end of the 2017-18 season this program has mostly been a debacle. I just have three questions: 

What is your realistic plan to replace Skerry? (I know this has been talked about plenty)
How are you going to get a better coach with the current decision-makers in place?
Who are the realistic candidates for Towson based on our budget and job stature that you think can do better based on what this program has been for the last 23-24 years?

So ineptitude for a period time, means we shouldn't try and get better?  SOT philosophy. 

Before the Skerry lovers bite my head off. I AM NOT COMPARING OUR PROGRAM TO THESE.  But Baylor, Charleston, St Marys, just to name a few, were morbid programs and had serious issues within their programs. They got the right coach and look a them all now.

Yes, we don't have the money to replace him now (other smaller schools can but we can't hmmm).

It wouldn't be worse than the coaching is right now. Pats a solid recruiter, Nice guy, Awful X and O coach and Poor at developing players. Prove me wrong.

A young up and coming assistant would take the job. Someone who is hungry for their shot and to prove themselves.  The geezers here will respond "but he will leave in a few years for a bigger job!"  HELL YES! We would love that, because it meant he made his mark here and improved/won. There are good young coaches out there that are on the benches. Winthrop found Kelsey, Charleston found Grant, ETSU found Forbes, Delaware may or may not have found Inglesby. 

• Like 1

Another great stat. Since Pat took over, every single CAA hoops program, except Towson and Elon (Elon joined in 2014), as won the regular season title. There have been 9 different teams (VCU) that have played in the CAA title game.

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

5 win seasons under PK aren't much worse than 12 win season Skerry. The CAA is awful in comparison and the easy D2/D3/NAIA games.

So ineptitude for a period time, means we shouldn't try and get better?  SOT philosophy. 

Before the Skerry lovers bite my head off. I AM NOT COMPARING OUR PROGRAM TO THESE.  But Baylor, Charleston, St Marys, just to name a few, were morbid programs and had serious issues within their programs. They got the right coach and look a them all now.

Yes, we don't have the money to replace him now (other smaller schools can but we can't hmmm).

It wouldn't be worse than the coaching is right now. Pats a solid recruiter, Nice guy, Awful X and O coach and Poor at developing players. Prove me wrong.

A young up and coming assistant would take the job. Someone who is hungry for their shot and to prove themselves.  The geezers here will respond "but he will leave in a few years for a bigger job!"  HELL YES! We would love that, because it meant he made his mark here and improved/won. There are good young coaches out there that are on the benches. Winthrop found Kelsey, Charleston found Grant, ETSU found Forbes, Delaware may or may not have found Inglesby. 

Pat Kennedy should have been arrested for theft.  The man spent more time at Joey Chu's lounge then he did at the university.  Any one associated with that sh***tshow should know better than to compare it to Pat Skerry.  If they can't tell the difference they are lost.  By the way, 2 years ago was the highest the CAA was ever ranked.  Ever.