• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB pounds Frostburg State, 89-45

Hard to take much away from this game, given the caliber of the opponent. The following are some random thoughts:

ZM looks poised to become a real offensive force. Good chance he’ll lead the team in scoring this season;

It is excruciating watching A Thomas miss so many bunny’s. Didn’t matter tonight, but very well could come back to bite us down the line;

Nice to see Morman light up the scoreboard. After Morsell & ZM, it would be nice to have him & McNeill be alternative scorers;

McNeill looked good, dropping 3 or 4 three point shots. We really need him to be a consistent outside threat on a squad generally challenged in its 3-point shooting;

Ingram has serious upside. I was actually hoping he’d shoot a little more tonight;

Prophete looks very tentative to shoot. When he did, his shot didn’t look good;

Thoroughly unimpressed with Rolle tonight. He jacked up 3 bricks when he got in the game;

The more I see Tunstall, the more I like him. He’s not going to score much, but he can rebound, block & alter shots, & can be used on D to press the other team.

On to Loyola Friday night. It’ll be their home opener & they nearly upset Northwestern in their season opener.

Prophete's shot doesn't look good. Hard to believe he scored that many points in Florida. However, his job is to get people the basketball. I think in the second half, he did that well. Even better than Starr, who had just one assist. I'm glad Morsell and Martin played very little tonight. They didn't look locked in and Skerry did the right thing by playing the others. Hell, Rolle played 8 minutes and took three shots from the shooting guard spot. Early in preseason, he was sharing the backup point guard spot with Prophete but you could tell he was shot-first, pass-last. Despite the way he shot tonight, he is a pretty good shooter. He's just undersized.

But there's very little I can take from this game. Good to see Morman shooting well and showing some hops. I thought Ingram was very tentative. He is a jet in the open court. He jumps over guys trying to get rebounds. But he passed up several shots and I while he could have taken any D3 guys off the dribble, he played within the system. I guess that's a good thing but as a fan, Id like to see what he can really do.

Morman is definitely going to be a leader of the team. He's the most Division 1 conditioned player on this team. Well built, well balanced player. That is what I saw last night.

Once again this team has some issues to figure out offensively. It took until mid-late last season to get things figured out, and that is one good thing about this semi-cupcake non-conference schedule this season. They have a little bit of a cushion to have some room to find their offensive identity.

I don't really see anywhere on the schedule where they are going to really embarrass themselves, because they're going to match up well against just about all of their opposition this season. 

But hopefully that doesn't let the team become content with themselves, because they have a ton of work cut out for them if they expect to win the CAA and compete in the NIT/NCAA's. NIT/NCAA's are another league compared to the CAA and absolutely another league compared to their non-conference schedule.

But while I think the weak scheduling is a bit frustrating, it may bode well for them this year, another year where it may take them a little bit of time to really get things going.

7 hours ago, griggey20 said:

Watched a little of CoC last night, got POUNDED by Wichita State.  I feel like our athleticism can definitely cause them some problems.  

Wichita state is really really good. But Charleston didn’t have Brantley again last night

I get alarmed by the amount of shots in the lane that our guys miss.  Is it lack of concentration?  Bad form?  Fear of contact?  They need to do a better job of going strong and absorbing contact to get these shots in the lane.  With as many offensive rebounds as we pull down, we can’t continue to miss the shorties. 

Ingram looks like he has all kinds of potential to eventually be a go-to type guy with that athleticism.  I was impressed with his raw ability.  That will get fine-tuned.  I liked Prophete’s handle but if he faces a decent defensive player, he might get his pocket picked a bit.  Needs to be tighter with the ball. 

Don’t get much from games like this.  Loyola at their place will be a better measurement.  Looking forward to seeing them here on Monday vs FAU. 

3 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

I get alarmed by the amount of shots in the lane that our guys miss.  Is it lack of concentration?  Bad form?  Fear of contact?  They need to do a better job of going strong and absorbing contact to get these shots in the lane.  With as many offensive rebounds as we pull down, we can’t continue to miss the shorties. 

Ingram looks like he has all kinds of potential to eventually be a go-to type guy with that athleticism.  I was impressed with his raw ability.  That will get fine-tuned.  I liked Prophete’s handle but if he faces a decent defensive player, he might get his pocket picked a bit.  Needs to be tighter with the ball. 

Don’t get much from games like this.  Loyola at their place will be a better measurement.  Looking forward to seeing them here on Monday vs FAU. 

FAU is not a home game. It is day one in part of a 3 game tournament down in Florida (8 team tourney). It is a fairly weak chunk of teams competing in that, so hopefully Towson can make it to the championship in that little tournament. Really no reason they can't. From what i've read, FAU is among some of the weaker teams in all of D1 this season.

Loyola should be a really fun one. Probably my most anticipated non-conference game this season other than Pitt. Not that they are even that good, but it is always nice to beat them. And going on the road and doing it would be even sweeter. Also they played very well against Northwestern, so it will not be a automatic won game. Still another game that i'd highly favor Towson in.

I think UMBC will be a much harder in-state game in early December. UMBC only lost by 11 to SMU and 25 to Arizona. Those 2 teams are tournament teams, and Arizona is possible Title contenders.

Edited by lightspeednate
FAU sentence error

Yes, and even easier, I’m covering the golf tournament in Naples thru Sunday so will only have to drive 15 miles vs the 3 hours from Orlando.  But I will only see Monday’s game cuz other basketball travels are taking me out of state.