• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

QB Vincent Amendola transfers from UNC to TU

5 hours ago, RundaPower said:

Again, there will be more than 2 commits.  This year especially,  smart FCS coaches aren’t running around and encouraging their commits to splash the social media world.  A committ ain’t  committed until they sign.  Reality,  most FCS recruits don’t verbal until the fall, as the are waiting on FBS offers.

Of course I understand that there will be more than 2 recruits eventually.  I will respectfully disagree that "smart coaches" are influencing whether a kid posts his commitment on social media.  Smart coaches are getting the best kids they can...any way they can.  Posting the commitment does nothing to hurt the kid or school.  That said TU currently has more transfers than 2021 commits. By the way...the way the transfers were announced is via social media...lol. IMO strong programs are built through high school recruiting and developing those players.  It's okay to mix in a transfer or two in positions of need. I'm a fan and I am rooting for a strong finish to the recruiting season.  I like the two kids they have a lot. But would love to see some big guys and linebackers. 

JMU can pull in an entire class of 3* and some 4* guys. Delaware used to be able to recruit almost as well as JMU and they still get really good classes, based on their history. We're lucky if we get two or three 3* guys as freshmen. But all those schools also grab numerous transfers every year. JMU does it at quarterback ever two years. They did it with Vad Lee from Georgia Tech and DiNucci from Pitt. They get guys, usually athletic spread type of quarterbacks, that fit their system. I have an issue that some of the transfer quarterbacks were all over the place in terms of style. We should be adding similar-type of quarterbacks like Flacco or even Grant Enders, every season or every two seasons. I think it's tough to win at this level without a quarterback that can run some. Amendola is not Flacco in terms of speed and athleticism, but does appear to have some Enders in him.

I really don't care how we get there, but Towson needs to make the playoffs in 2020 or 2021. If you play in the spring, you have 19 seniors (most are redshirts or have graduated) that will use up their eligibility. I believe all are on scholarship, though one or two might be partials. If you don't play, a lot of those guys won't be coming back, because they probably have jobs lined up. But some might. Then it puts more emphasis on making the playoffs with an eight-game schedule. If we play, we will have nearly a brand new team next season, especially on the offensive line, where we have four senior starters. The only returning guy would be center Cole Cheripko and in fact, we'd likely have to go with some talented by inexperienced replacements at every other position. That's a case where you have to bring in 2-3 juco/FBS transfers at a minimum just to add bodies. You can't just recruit five freshmen OL and have them as your depth.

16 minutes ago, Maharba10 said:

Of course I understand that there will be more than 2 recruits eventually.  I will respectfully disagree that "smart coaches" are influencing whether a kid posts his commitment on social media.  Smart coaches are getting the best kids they can...any way they can.  Posting the commitment does nothing to hurt the kid or school.  That said TU currently has more transfers than 2021 commits. By the way...the way the transfers were announced is via social media...lol. IMO strong programs are built through high school recruiting and developing those players.  It's okay to mix in a transfer or two in positions of need. I'm a fan and I am rooting for a strong finish to the recruiting season.  I like the two kids they have a lot. But would love to see some big guys and linebackers. 

If this was a normal year, we would have five to six freshman commits by now. And we may have because as RP said, some have not committed on social media yet. But this is not a normal year and with 19 seniors (they probably know who is coming back and who is not), if there is no spring, we don't need that many recruits. 

Posting the commitment does nothing to hurt the kid or school. 

I think we just explained in several previous posts that the MAC schools and other programs have poached these kids in the past once they committed to Towson. I really don't think it matters either way, but they've been burned in the past. Personally, I would like to see us have 7-8 commits by now and a few transfers on social media, but I'm at the point where I'd rather play football first. Then think about recruiting later.

The shame of this whole damn mess is that if the CAA decided to play football this season (and we probably could have done it without most students on campus), we would have had a chance to have our best team since 2012. Experienced quarterback, a lot of quality transfers on defense from Power Five schools that were healthy, a talented Temple transfer at FS, an All-American RB, a loaded WR corps and a monster OL with a 330-pound RT who missed last season due to a torn ACL.

Unfortunately, even if we play in the spring, that QB and RB are gone. Who knows how anybody will play after not seriously playing in a year-and-a-half. And with a brand new QB.

4 hours ago, mat1992 said:

JMU can pull in an entire class of 3* and some 4* guys. Delaware used to be able to recruit almost as well as JMU and they still get really good classes, based on their history. We're lucky if we get two or three 3* guys as freshmen. But all those schools also grab numerous transfers every year. JMU does it at quarterback ever two years. They did it with Vad Lee from Georgia Tech and DiNucci from Pitt. They get guys, usually athletic spread type of quarterbacks, that fit their system. I have an issue that some of the transfer quarterbacks were all over the place in terms of style. We should be adding similar-type of quarterbacks like Flacco or even Grant Enders, every season or every two seasons. I think it's tough to win at this level without a quarterback that can run some. Amendola is not Flacco in terms of speed and athleticism, but does appear to have some Enders in him.

I really don't care how we get there, but Towson needs to make the playoffs in 2020 or 2021. If you play in the spring, you have 19 seniors (most are redshirts or have graduated) that will use up their eligibility. I believe all are on scholarship, though one or two might be partials. If you don't play, a lot of those guys won't be coming back, because they probably have jobs lined up. But some might. Then it puts more emphasis on making the playoffs with an eight-game schedule. If we play, we will have nearly a brand new team next season, especially on the offensive line, where we have four senior starters. The only returning guy would be center Cole Cheripko and in fact, we'd likely have to go with some talented by inexperienced replacements at every other position. That's a case where you have to bring in 2-3 juco/FBS transfers at a minimum just to add bodies. You can't just recruit five freshmen OL and have them as your depth.

Doesn't everyone get an extra year of eligibility whether they play in the spring or not? In other words...if they play in the spring it doesn't count as a year of eligibility used.