• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

PG Dylan Williamson becomes first 2022 commit in Hoops

25 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Maybe an off-season will help improve his game, but I have in mind a big who’s going to average more than 4 points and 3 boards a game. I mean, those numbers are reminiscent of Alex Thomas 

Haha I was joking. 

Paar needs a year in the weight room, but you can’t teach hands. Footwork is an issue as well and we saw a minute of Biekeu and a dropped rebound. I’m ok with another TJ or DT as your backup to CT. Long and athletic and 225+ That’s enough in the new CAA 

Absolutely go through for an established big from a lower mid major conference.   
So many out there who may want a change of scenery and a better conference. 
EG: Josh Cohen w/St Francis (6’10” Sophomore) (11 & 6 a game)

Or if a coach is being fired from a bigger school with a big who hasn’t found any playing time and would be better off playing for a mid major.

EG: Gabe Wiznitzer w/Louisville (6’11” Sophmore)  Obviously tried this with the USC kid and it didn’t work out  

Or go out and get a Euro with some college experience or who has played for his country’s national team at some level.  Rolling the dice but it has worked for a lot of programs.  

How many solid Nigerians are playing in college all over the country and we never get our hooks into one!

Or get someone from the Ivy League as a grad transfer who wants to play in a better league (I think CAA is a bit better than Ivy right?)

EG: Cam Krystkowiak w/Dartmouth (6’9” Junior) 

Just throwing out names for fun. 

In the end it’s all about our coaching staff and past relationships..  hence why I like to see from time to time new assistants on the staff.  USF landed Yauhen Massalski from San Diego because they hired Chris Gerlufsen as a Associate Head Coach and he had the relationship.  Not gonna change Clark or O’Donnell but sometimes you add an assistant who brings all his recruiting contacts. 

18 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Absolutely go through for an established big from a lower mid major conference.   
So many out there who may want a change of scenery and a better conference. 
EG: Josh Cohen w/St Francis (6’10” Sophomore) (11 & 6 a game)

Or if a coach is being fired from a bigger school with a big who hasn’t found any playing time and would be better off playing for a mid major.

EG: Gabe Wiznitzer w/Louisville (6’11” Sophmore)  Obviously tried this with the USC kid and it didn’t work out  

Or go out and get a Euro with some college experience or who has played for his country’s national team at some level.  Rolling the dice but it has worked for a lot of programs.  

How many solid Nigerians are playing in college all over the country and we never get our hooks into one!

Or get someone from the Ivy League as a grad transfer who wants to play in a better league (I think CAA is a bit better than Ivy right?)

EG: Cam Krystkowiak w/Dartmouth (6’9” Junior) 

Just throwing out names for fun. 

In the end it’s all about our coaching staff and past relationships..  hence why I like to see from time to time new assistants on the staff.  USF landed Yauhen Massalski from San Diego because they hired Chris Gerlufsen as a Associate Head Coach and he had the relationship.  Not gonna change Clark or O’Donnell but sometimes you add an assistant who brings all his recruiting contacts. 

No projects. We need kids that can play right away. He doesn't have to be 6-11. I'm sure the portal will start to fill up in early March and then it's a free-for-all.  Charles is 6-7 with a 7-1 wingspan but is 245. You just need 6-8 or 6-9 with length, size and some skill. We have Charles for another 2 years if he wants. We just need a more productive backup. I don't want to play two bigs anymore. It's all about the four guard lineup and when Cam graduates, hopefully CMay can be the guy to replace him.

Also, it's still a guard league and we need to continue to enhance the 1 and 2 positions. Well, 3 and 4 as well. 

• Like 1

If this year has taught us anyting about the portal its not just about getting good players but the right players.  We have gotten the fancy names in the past and it hasn't worked out (JB probably the exception).  But with Nolan and Cam, I wasn't iffy on how they were going to be and clearly its worked even better than we could have all imagined.  Let's hope the coaching staff found something about these two that they can carry over.  

It's been crazy talking to kids on the floor this year who are uber talented not getting looks from bigger DI schools because these high majors are waiting on the portal.  These schools think these kids will be there.  Maybe it's better to think differently and offer another freshman big that is getting pushed to the side for another couple months.

• Like 2

Probably no coincidence that 3 of the 4 mid-major transfers we brought in (Rizzuto, Paar, Nolan) are local kids. So I assume one of the criteria PS looks at is a kid who wants to come back closer to home. I also assume they look at kids they originally recruited, who snubbed us but are now dissatisfied at the school they chose. 

But it is an interesting dynamic that there are probably HS kids (not the 5 star crowd) who are getting passed over by mid-majors, as far as being recruited, in favor of transfers. I don’t have the figures in front of me, but the last couple of years weren’t there in excess of 700 players each year in the portal? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Probably no coincidence that 3 of the 4 mid-major transfers we brought in (Rizzuto, Paar, Nolan) are local kids. So I assume one of the criteria PS looks at is a kid who wants to come back closer to home. I also assume they look at kids they originally recruited, who snubbed us but are now dissatisfied at the school they chose. 

But it is an interesting dynamic that there are probably HS kids (not the 5 star crowd) who are getting passed over by mid-majors, as far as being recruited, in favor of transfers. I don’t have the figures in front of me, but the last couple of years weren’t there in excess of 700 players each year in the portal? 

Spot on.  Agree. 

Dylan is No. 10 in white. More of a combo or two guard here. The big dude for McNamara is 6-11 Favour Aire. Going to a high major obviously.