• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB comes back to beat W&M 75-60

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/william-mary/boxscore/22057

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/2/10/mens-basketball-second-half-sprint-sends-towson-mens-basketball-past-william-mary.aspx

Charles Thompson scored 18 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and blocked three shots to lead Towson to a 75-60 win over William & Mary on Thursday afternoon before 1,683 at SECU Arena. The Tigers were down by eight early in the second half, before exploding for a 20-8 run.

Terry Nolan returned from a respiratory illness to score nine points, dish out four assists and get two steals in 21 minutes. Jason Gibson also bounced back from taking just one shot against Northeastern to scoring 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting.

More comments later.

Comments

Jason Gibson on difference between first and second half

"We were definitely more locked in (second half) and stopped turning the ball over. They got points on transition off of turnovers."

On rough starts in the first half

"Coming out, having a feel for the game. We tried to punch early, sometimes when they punch back, we kind of fold a little bit. That's how basketball goes. They make runs and we come back. In the second half, we turned it up."

On Terry Nolan coming back

"It was great. He brings confidence and leadership. He gets everyone involved."

"I thought our ball movement was way better this game. We got a lot of open shots so that was good."

Ugly start, again. Awful habit that we have this year especially at gone. Charles is our best player and has been in caa play. Need to take care of the ball better. Effort much better in second half. 

Charles Thompson

On early injury

"I don't know what really happened. I remember going for a rebound and somebody hitting my elbow. Couldn't feel my hand for a second. It was weird."

On his passing

"I just trust in my teammates. Every pass doesn't need to be a home run play. You can get a hockey assist. It leads to one more."

On first half

I thought we had a decent start. We were gaining separation and then lost focus. In the second half, we got over the hump. Our focus started getting better and our attention to detail."

On playing a team you just beat by 20+

"It's definitely tough. They don't want to get beaten by 20 again and they're going to do everything in their power, esp. a team like W&M who is desperate to get a win."

Terry Nolan on coming back

"It feels amazing. Answered prayers. It was amazing to be back."

On minutes restriction

"Not sure. Pretty sure that they were trying to be cognitive of my and my chest. But I was hooping today so they let me play."

"I was away for two weeks, I thought the first half was shaky, but was starting to feel a rhythm in the second half. Got my feet back under me. Coach Skerry told me we have to rally the guys together. When you are selfless, the game comes to you. Everything just clicks."

On how difficult it was being out

"It was difficult. A guy like me, who is competitive. I always to play. I tried to help my team, being a leader, pointing out to the guys (when he was out)."

On the crowd 

Every game is important. We're in second place. Every win matters. We love the fans. Happy they came out today."

Pat Skerry opening

"Proud of our guys. I didn't have them ready enough early. There are no easy nights. They shot the ball well. I have to see where we broke down defensively. We have to guard a little better. They made some shots. We have to get that right. We rallied on the backboards. We took a lot of threes. Charlie was great. Juwan was good. Chase helped us. That guy is playing good. (Charles)."

The league is 13th or 14th in KenPom. You have to be able to win in different ways. I'm going to kick myself that we didn't guard better. Might have just been W&M."

On turnovers

"We didn't do a good job of taking care of the ball. We had 10 turnovers in the first half. We got down eight or nine and a couple of guys challenge each other. Then we showed our explosiveness. The challenge of the coaching staff if we played 20 really good minutes, how do we get that up to 28, 30 or even more."

On Terry's return

"He makes a good impact. He gave us a boost. We're going to need those 8 older guys. Hicks has been a great fill-in. We're still putting it together. We're still a bit further behind that I'd like us to be with chemistry, but we just haven't had everybody."

On Cam

"He missed a couple of shots. We can't win without him. He draws a lot of attention. How many guys play hurt to help his team win. I just appreciate the guy. He tried a different mask at the beginning and then I notched he changed masks. Maybe he has an NIL deal in the works (lol). Birthday parties.

On crowd

"I thought the crowd was great. National TV. This is a special university we have here. This was our seven National TV appearance. Next week will be the 8th. Hopefully there will be more. It helps us."

I think there are so many sidebars here. But let's start with Terry Nolan. His energy, his passing, his leadership is so damn important. We're not losing that game on Saturday if he's playing.

Not saying everything was perfect as the turnovers were hideous with 10 and that led to some open looks in transition. Better 3-point D in the second half, but that's probably the biggest concern right now. They shot 12 of 28 (43%). A lot of it starts with the point guard defending a quicker player. and trying to keep him from penetrating.  Jason Gibson is an outstanding open shooter and when playing off the ball, he showed that ability in the second half. But his first half was a disaster with four turnovers and a few very long threes. He also had issues in the second half keeping Tyler Rice out of the paint.  Again, why Nolan's presence is so important. Defense against more athletic guards. Getting the key pass. Making the key shot. 

The first half was about lack of focus. Get a small lead then players are committing charging fouls, stepping out of bounds, throwing no-look passes off the mark.

But Gibson was on the money in the second half. Timberlake made a few big plays. Nolan drained 3 treys. CT was so dominant that they are now doubling him so we need to make open 3s. Rizzuto was just 1-of-9 overall and 0-for-6 from 3pt.

CT. What else can you say about him. I don't think we have any superstars, but we have a lot of potential second and third-team all-conference players. Thompson is one of those guys who is defending, rebounding and just dunking on people. Now they are taking away his hook shot and doubling him, so he's finding other ways to score. He's just been sensational in conference play. I didn't know he had this in him. Certainly not the scoring part.

On to Elon.

• Like 1

Need to confirm..  CT block into the seats…  Spiro said 6th row but a friend who watched on 📺 said 10th row!?!

We have to make guys bounce it and not get so much time to shoot but overall we bounced back in the second half. 

The new Cam mask is trash?  Per Chuck as he referenced Bane.  Waste of $ I guess. 

Nolan like many of you said was so missed.  He plays like such a grizzled veteran.   18 wins now.  With Nolan back we finally have all the pistons firing and we are gonna be a tough team to beat in my Coach Norman Dale voice.  

We’re a different team, in a good way, with Nolan out there. He can score some (especially important with Rizzuto pretty much a non-factor and not knowing if Timberlake is going to give you 25 points or 5 points any given night). But beyond whatever he gives you in scoring, he also is tops in the CAA in assist to turnover ratio. And he frees Gibson up from having to run the point, which is not his strong suit. Probably no coincidence that with Nolan back, Gibson had a good scoring game.

I think it’s pretty amazing how CT has suddenly developed into our best offensive player. Would love to see Holden play without the mask by tournament time, but no idea if that’s in the offing. 

Huge game Saturday. Students are back, weather won’t be an issue and it’s the Autism game (I think), so we should have a nice crowd. W & we go into UNCW next week with a chance to tie for 1st place (or take sole possession of 1st, if UNCW loses Saturday and we win). 

• Like 3