• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB routs Elon 86-50

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/elon/boxscore/22058

Charles Thompson scored 20 points and blocked four shots to lead Towson to a 36-point win over Elon on Saturday afternoon. This game was 23-16 Towson with 8:44 left in the first half.  The Tigers went on a 26-0 run to lead 49-16 with 18:18 left in the game. They led by 46 (69-23) with around 10:00 left in the game and Pat Skerry was able to bench his starters and eventually bring in four walk-ons with Tyler Coleman in the last four minutes. Towson will play UNCW on Thursday in North Carolina at 6pmET on CBS Sports Network.

Towson shot 58% from the field and 8-of-17 from three-point range (47.1%). They outrebounded Elon 37-24 and dished out 16 assists.

More later with comments...

Very impressive. I hope we saved some of that good mojo for next Thursday and Saturday (not to mention the tournament next month).

Charles has become our most dominant player on both ends of the court. Everyone else played extremely well too (though Cam's new mask didn't help him at the free-throw line...)

• Like 1

The second half against Wm and first half of this game maybe the best two halves in Towson hoops history.  Or in 20+ years.  Glad we got everyone into the game. Our starters played less than 22 minutes.  This late in the year it’ll hopefully freshen them up for Thursday.  Also nice for them to leave the game on a high note and not lose focus just going through the motions. 

Let’s go cougars!!

• Like 1

BTW, 17 players played today. Can't imagine there was a better feeling for the rotation guys and Bemi Joseph when he hit that three-pointer (I know he hit a shot before that)

• Like 1

Comments from Antonio Rizzuto

"It was definitely special. We showed today what we're capable of doing. We played really hard on defense. Made some key shots to start them off and didn't let that go."

On first half woes against W&M

We have to come out that like that every game. THat's what we're capable of and we'll strive to do that the rest of the season.

On the walk-ons

A lot of what we do is credited to them. Every day at practice they are busting their butt for us. It's super special to see them at the end of the game and it was fun.

It's all about Wilmington, one game at a time. 

Charles Thompson

"We've had some slow starts and it's been our focus about not digging us ourselves a hole. Instead of playing one great half, how about playing two. That's what happened.

On 26-0 run

"Our energy was great. We focused from start to finish. Attention to detail."

On hook shot

Me being more patient. We have so many people on our team. Nic can shoot it. Cam can shoot it. Terry can shoot it. It's hard to double when there are so many great shooters on the floor. We have great veteran point guards and I trust their decision-making.

On UNCW

"I'm looking forward to every game. Every game is a big game."

Radhir Hicks

On sitting out

"It was frustrating. Not being able to go to Elon and W&M. It was rough being able to watch game. It helped sitting and the hunger was stronger."

On game slowing down

"It's like repetition. The more reps you get, the more you get used to it. Everything is starting to open up. You can't guard everything. There are certain spots, I know I can get there.  Things are slowing down for me. The game is becoming a little easier."

On enjoy playing defense

"I really do. I guess because others don't really enjoy it, I enjoy playing it. I pride myself on it. If they can't score and I can help us get stops, we are hard to beat. When we hold people to a low shooting %, I know we can win."

Skerry opening comments

"Guys were really ready to play today. I told them at halftime, that if we didn't make shots in the first half, which we did, I would have been really pleased. Because we were really tuned in defensively. Coach Clark did a really good job with the scout. That's what we need to do. They have really good guards and we knew we had to defend the three-point shot. Terry, Rahdir, Juwan, Charles. That was the difference in the game. Everything snowballed because we were really good on offense. But our defense was really good today."

On going to the bench and walk-ons early

"Our league is really good. Elon is too good. That never happens. We have great walk-ons. They have helped us all year on the scout team. They have great personalities so it's good to reward them. I told Tyler Coleman after the game. He's getting in better shape and he's worked harder in practice. It's noticeable today. That's encouraging. "

On 26-0 run without Cam and Nic

"We have nine guys. I trust all nine guys. I have confidence in all of them. This makes me feel better today. I wish we were further ahead with rotation. Had so many guys out due to bizarre staff. We have high level players and they were connected."

On Cam and his new mask

"He was good in the second half. A guy playing with a broken jaw and a mask. He's as tough as they come."

On JB's teams

"Every team is different. We've had a lot of good teams. We had a good environment today. We have to try and keep getting better. We have to worry about what it's in front of us and keep getting better."

On UNCW

"Guys will be off tomorrow. I didn't do a good enough job last time against them. It will be sold out down there. We'll need a good week of practice to play against a well-coached team."

Pretty impressive that a team playing for 2nd can find the motivation to blitz an opponent like this.  

Every night, a different star.  Good to see Rizzuto and Gibson finding their shots again.  Nolan’s return helps that immensely.  CT is becoming the inside force we have craved for years.  We have watched our teams get hammered inside by big men of the past and now it’s time we have one of those.  

Next week will determine our conference title/NIT fate.  We know what needs to be done. 

• Haha 1