• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB dominates No. 1 UNCW 79-55

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=371168

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/2/17/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-takes-down-first-place-uncw-in-dominant-fashion.aspx

Nicolas Timberlake scored 18 points including 12 in the first half to lead five players in double figures as the Tigers got their revenge over UNCW on the road 79-55 on Thursday night. Towson led by eight in the half and started pulling away in the second half thanks to Jason Gibson getting hot from three-point range (14pts, 3-5 3pt). They made the run despite getting into early foul trouble as Cam Holden picked up his third foul on a block early in the second half and sat for about seven minutes. The Tigers improved to 11-3 and 20-7 on the season. The Seahawks fall to 12-3 in the CAA.

The only negative for the Tigers came as they turned it over 16 times, but they had 17 assists and outrebounded the Seahawks by 18. Gibson, Holden and Terry Nolan all had four assists apiece. Towson shot 53% from the field and went 9-of-18 from beyond the arc. They also held UNCW to just 31% from the field. Guard Sykeim Phillips, who had a big game against Towson at SECU, had just two points on 1-of-8 shooting.

Pat Skerry after the game on TSN (also mentioning the loss of Spiro Morekas' father on Thursday morning at the age of 90).

"Just wrote on the board. Held them to 31% +18 on the glass. That's Towson basketball. That was for you (Spiro) and Sam Morekas. I know he's looking down. Proud of our guys strapped it up. Enjoy it for three hours until Charleston."

"Holden was +31. Our defense was really good. RIzzuto and Gray guarded. Did a good job on Sims and on Phillips, who torched us last game. Charleston will be a hard game. They are deep and physical. Tonight was a good win. This is a heck of a basketball environment."

Interesting stat poached from the UNCW board:

Towson made it the 147th time this season that a team won by at least 24 points with at least 18 more rebounds and at least 13 more assists, but only 35 times were against a Division I team. Towson became the first CAA team to do that against a Division I team since Drexel won 84-39 hosting Niagara on December 28, 2010. Towson became the 26th team from 2010-2011 to now to do that at a Division I team.

In the second half, Towson scored 16 more points and committed 16 fouls. I wonder how rare that is.

14 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

Interesting stat poached from the UNCW board:

Towson made it the 147th time this season that a team won by at least 24 points with at least 18 more rebounds and at least 13 more assists, but only 35 times were against a Division I team. Towson became the first CAA team to do that against a Division I team since Drexel won 84-39 hosting Niagara on December 28, 2010. Towson became the 26th team from 2010-2011 to now to do that at a Division I team.

In the second half, Towson scored 16 more points and committed 16 fouls. I wonder how rare that is.

What a big f’ing win. Offense wasn’t great officiating was awful and still grinded out a road win.  This team is special but we have had 3 let downs so far. Need to be focused  Saturday. 

Uncw fans blaming the refs and our “physical ” play is laughable. Hello new Jmu fans 

• Like 2

The program needed this big win, badly. Love how deep we are with 5 guys scoring in double digits. For years it seems like we only had Jerelle Bennimon as a competent scoring threat. Now we have 7-8 dudes who can produce buckets. Having terry Nolan back is a fresh of breathe air and the assist numbers always show when he’s back out there. Love that they dedicated this win to Spiro’s dad! Lots of big games still left to be played! Charleston will be another packed house against a historically good program. Need to be focused and physical to secure another road win. JMU is looking dark horse-y here. We have yet to play them and now we gotta see them twice. Can’t look past those trap games

• Like 1