• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB defeats Charleston, 73-62

Skerry
I thought we played that Towson-type of defense today and it showed. The job that Al (Thomas) did on Brantley and Brian (Starr)
did on Joe Chealey was exceptional. Zane has been doing it all year. When your point guard and post play that well, that
sets the stage very well. Great team win. Very proud of our kids. We beat a very quality opponent.

On first half
Any time you get up 19 against a tough opponent, you take it. We have it in us. These guys, when they stick together
and really lock in on something, we have a chance to be a very good ballclub. I couldn't be more proud of them.

On second half
I probably didn't do a good enough job earlier. I probably ran a few sets too long. We missed a couple open threes.
Jordan missed two and Mike missed one. Jordan is shooting 50% from 3 and they were wide open. They are going to make
a run at one point. Thought Zane had a couple of good drives. Al had a couple of stick backs. We were really good
around the basket.

On CofC
I know they are really good and we can be good but there are six team in the top 150 in the country in the RPI. There's
a lot of good teams. We'll enjoy this win today and worry about the next one. To play twice in 8 days, there's not a lot
of holiday cards sent to each other. So we knew it was going to be a battle.

Our gus were ready. It's been a rivalry. They're a terrific team and Earl (Grant) does a terrific job. Our guys wanted
it. If it works out and we'll play each other again, hope the ball bounces our way.

On bench
We have trust in all of our guys. I probably should have gone longer with Dennis and Justin but I thought Al and Eddie
were so good defensively around the rim. Eddie doesn't look like but he can challenge you around the rim. He's a strong
guy. He's a competitive son of a gun. He can be a pain in the rare.

On playing at home
You want to be in the race, you can't lose home games. You try to win a handful on the road. We had a couple we didn't
get. If we learned from that, it will pay dividends later. These guys are incredibly locked in.

Al Thomas on defending Brantley
It's hard to explain, but when we play CHarleston, they're a huge rivalry. Playing Brantley...we have mutual respect
and I just love guarding him. In the first game, he got hot. They played small and we weren't used to it. This time
around, we saw what they were trying to do. We were just able to lock in.

Brian Starr on CofC first time
We were more competitive than usual. If felt like we came in with a chip on our shoulder. We wanted to play them as
hard as possible.

Zane
At the end of the day, who is tougher. We're both talented. WHo wants it the most? Who is going to make their free
throws. Have to get 50-50 balls.

On Ingram leaving
Nothing negative. Just personal stuff. Just a personal decision.

Huge W from a standings & psychological perspective. Talk about a tale of 2 halves. I’m not sure we can play any better than we did in the 1st half, offensively or defensively. I told my friends at halftime, “C of C has us right where they want us.” Sure enough, as soon as they went to a press, we either turned it over or took crazy shots with the shot clock running out. Fortunately, we built up such a huge cushion, we got away with it.

If I were an opposing team I would press us the entire game. Of course, it’s hard to keep up that intensity for 40 minutes, but we seem to struggle mightily against the press.

I thought Thomas was the unsung hero today; 9 boards & good D on Brantley, who was shut out in the first half. 

Morman has become not just a liability on offense, but a major liability, IMHO. I know he plays strong D, but I’m wondering if we’re better off with McNeil playing more. 

Another good game I thought from EK. He gives a nice mix of scoring, rebounding & even shot blocking. ZM has a remorseless “gunslinger” mentality, which you need from a scorer. He took some terrible shots in the 2nd half though. I also thought Starr had a good game overall.

Lets sweep the homestand with a W on Thursday vs Hofstra, who I believe got beat handily by Elon today.  Meanwhile, it’s early, but W&M is off to a blistering start. After they lost Pruitt, Dixon & Whitman (who accounted for 40 ppg last year) many, including me, wrote them off this year. Instead, they’re scoring like 90 ppg & I think their worst shooter in the starting 5 shoots like 48%. 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Anyone else see the chippyness especially at the end?!

It was chippy the entire game. Johnson and Chealey were very frustrated by the calls or lack thereof against them. Morsell and Johnson picked up techs and Chealey had one for talking crap to Starr. I thought we got a ton of calls throughout the game.

Chealey (#12 on C of C) was woofing at our bench at the end. 5 technical fouls in the game. I suppose C of C was trying to be the “bully on the block” & we were trying to show them that they’re beatable. That old cliche is probably true here-no love lost between these 2 teams. Depending on how things turn out, the rubber match could take place in the conference tournament in 2 months.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Chealey (#12 on C of C) was woofing at our bench at the end. 5 technical fouls in the game. I suppose C of C was trying to be the “bully on the block” & we were trying to show them that they’re beatable. That old cliche is probably true here-no love lost between these 2 teams. Depending on how things turn out, the rubber match could take place in the conference tournament in 2 months.

They kicked our ass the first game. We did it the second game. Same exact score. Actually, we blew them away in the first half and they probably didn't have the energy to complete the comeback. We certainly helped with the turnovers and long-ass possessions where we shot with 2 seconds on the shotclock. We just ran clock and didn't run plays.

But you know what? I wasn't sure we could beat them after that first game and then the Elon collapse. But I know we can beat them now. Just need to start another long streak.

Haha I know. The mike dunk at the end set them off. I think this helps, as they definitely see us as a thrreat.  

We we played great the first half with mike and morman in foul trouble. Eddie did a good job with Brantley as well. Thought the refs called to many t’s on bs and didn’t call a lot of contact down low on both teams.  

Charlesron has 3 really good players. All 3 are better than our top guys but 4-9/10 we have Them beat. 

Id love for a round 3 on day March 6th

Good point about C of C being irked about Mike’s dunk at the buzzer. On the one hand, I liked it-kinda like saying to C of C “how you like us now”? OTOH, I could see C of C using that as a motivational tool if we play them again come March.