• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

All-CAA team predictions

I'm thinking we get 2 or 3, I think Cam is a bubble to get on first team, I wonder if an JMU players get on there. Still a few games left. This is not my ballot, but who I think they will take. If Charles continues to dominate the paint, he's getting third team and he's probably getting DPOY. It's tough to see him as an All-CAA player when he's only averaging 10.6ppg, 6.4rpg and 1.6bpg.

First team

Estrada (Hofstra) 18.8ppg, 5apg

Wynter (Drexel) 15.3ppg, 4.7apg

Sims (UNCW) 15.8ppg

Holden (TOW) 13.8ppg, 7.7rpg, 2.9apg, 1.9spg

Painter (DEL) 13.2ppg, 7.6rpg

2nd team

Morse (JMU) 15.9ppg

Meeks (CofC) 14.5ppg

Jameer NelsonJr. (DEL) 13.8ppg

Mike Okauru (UNCW) 12.9ppg, 1.4spg

Z. Cooks (HOF) 13.4ppg, 3.4apg

3rd team

Timberlake (TOW) 14ppg, 79.5% FT, 39.5% 3pt

Burford (Elon ) 13.4ppg

Doherty (NE) 11.5ppg, 9.2rpg

Melik Martin (Drex) 11.2ppg, 5.2rpg, 1.1spg

Jalen Ray (Hof) 13.4ppg, 41.3% 3pt

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

I'm thinking we get 2 or 3, I think Cam is a bubble to get on first team, I wonder if an JMU players get on there. Still a few games left. This is not my ballot, but who I think they will take. If Charles continues to dominate the paint, he's getting third team and he's probably getting DPOY. It's tough to see him as an All-CAA player when he's only averaging 10.6ppg, 6.4rpg and 1.6bpg.

First team

Estrada (Hofstra) 18.8ppg, 5apg

Wynter (Drexel) 15.3ppg, 4.7apg

Sims (UNCW) 15.8ppg

Holden (TOW) 13.8ppg, 7.7rpg, 2.9apg, 1.9spg

Painter (DEL) 13.2ppg, 7.6rpg

2nd team

Morse (JMU) 15.9ppg

Meeks (CofC) 14.5ppg

Jameer NelsonJr. (DEL) 13.8ppg

Mike Okauru (UNCW) 12.9ppg, 1.4spg

Z. Cooks (HOF) 13.4ppg, 3.4apg

3rd team

Timberlake (TOW) 14ppg, 79.5% FT, 39.5% 3pt

Burford (Elon ) 13.4ppg

Doherty (NE) 11.5ppg, 9.2rpg

Melik Martin (Drex) 11.2ppg, 5.2rpg, 1.1spg

Jalen Ray (Hof) 13.4ppg, 41.3% 3pt

Actually agree with you on most of these.  Could see phillips slide in somewhere. I think if we finish 1/2 cam gets on first team. Granted he’s been a shell of his ooc self, but had the mask to blame. 

rookie team:  J Davis (Del), R Smith (cofc) T White (Uncw) Burnham (cofc)  J Lewis (Wm)

defensive team: Charles. Underwood (cofc) williams (Drexel). Graham (Elon). Some Uncw player 

Estrada POTY

Siddle COTY

J Davis ROTY (smith from Charleston could also be it. Davis just came in strong last few weeks)

Charles DPOTY?

47 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Actually agree with you on most of these.  Could see phillips slide in somewhere. I think if we finish 1/2 cam gets on first team. Granted he’s been a shell of his ooc self, but had the mask to blame. 

rookie team:  J Davis (Del), R Smith (cofc) T White (Uncw) Burnham (cofc)  J Lewis (Wm)

defensive team: Charles. Underwood (cofc) williams (Drexel). Graham (Elon). Some Uncw player 

Estrada POTY

Siddle COTY

J Davis ROTY (smith from Charleston could also be it. Davis just came in strong last few weeks)

Charles DPOTY?

I think Charles gets DPOY. Best defensive team and best defensive player. Sixth man could be Nolan even if he has been a starter for more than half. Underwood might be the overall best defensive player and could get it by they aren't a very good defensive team. We're definitely not in the running for ROY, that's for sure. Davis has really come on for Hens.

Estrada is an easy choice for POY, but if Towson wins the league, Pat could get COTY. But voting will be this weekend I believe. So it will likely be Siddle since he's new and they had no expectations.

Charles has been the best big, statistically in the CAA during conference play.  He has to be in play for first or 2nd team all CAA.  His numbers are better than Painter and he plays better defense.  The offense of the best team in the CAA runs through CT.  I'd put him and Cam on the 1st team.  Nick on the 2nd team.  No doubt in my mind those three should do no worse than top 2 teams.  

I think you are being way too tough on your own players here, Matt.  Nick is far more efficient than Jameer Nelson and, again, is on a much better team.  Towson and Hofstra should pepper the first two teams.  

I think Skerry should get coach of the year, but Siddle is a good choice too.  Estrada is hands down CAA POY.  Amazing the mill of scorers that Hofstra seems to pull in year after year.  

1 hour ago, tu_fan said:

Charles has been the best big, statistically in the CAA during conference play.  He has to be in play for first or 2nd team all CAA.  His numbers are better than Painter and he plays better defense.  The offense of the best team in the CAA runs through CT.  I'd put him and Cam on the 1st team.  Nick on the 2nd team.  No doubt in my mind those three should do no worse than top 2 teams.  

I think you are being way too tough on your own players here, Matt.  Nick is far more efficient than Jameer Nelson and, again, is on a much better team.  Towson and Hofstra should pepper the first two teams.  

I think Skerry should get coach of the year, but Siddle is a good choice too.  Estrada is hands down CAA POY.  Amazing the mill of scorers that Hofstra seems to pull in year after year.  

That's not how the writers are going to select the teams. I agree that CT should be in play for at least 2nd team, but he's been fantastic in the last 9 games, not the entire season. His regular stats are just meh and I don't think enough guys look at conference stats. Maybe they do. I certainly gander at it, but that's just part of the equation. 

Remember, these are not my picks. They are who I think will be selected. Is Timberlake better than Nelson? It's close and because he's been in the league for 10 years and Nelson just got there, maybe he gets higher, though Nelson has a big name due to his father. Nic's defense and lack of consistency is a bit concerning.

If we wanted to just pick conference stats than let's check them out: Cam Holden is averaging 13.7 and 6.3 rebounds on 41% shooting and 20.6% (7-34) from downtown. Timberlake is averaging 13.6 points on 43% shooting and 37% from long range. Both of those guys' conference numbers are down from their overall averages. For Cam, we know why it's way down, but it's still down. CT is the opposite, averaging 13.7ppg and 7.7rpg on 64% FG. So you can cherry pick stats and Charles has been very good in conference play, but he hasn't been better than Painter in the long run offensively.

Now if it were my pick and Towson is still second before the Delaware game, I'm not putting Cam and CT on the first team. I don't there is a good enough team to have two players on the first team. I haven't decided how I'm going to divide it up, but depends on the JMU games. 

Bottom line with Cam is that he gutted conference play out. He's waiting on the doctors as to when he can remove the mask and it might not happen this season, which would suck. I think if he doesn't fracture his jaw, we're looking at him or Estrada for POY. But the good news is that Thompson has really flourished and taken over a lot of Cam's duties. He's become nearly as a good a passer, esp. in the double teams. Take that mask off and I think we see a different CH.

Ultimately, it's fun to guess how many players we get on the team or the All-Defensive team or whatever. We know what trophy means the most. 

2 hours ago, griggey20 said:

Any shot that Gibby gets 6th man? Or did he start too many games when Nolan was out?

He’s started 14 of 24 games and Nolan has started 15 of 21 so I guess neither would be a Sixth Man candidate. Juwan Gray would at 6.8 and 4.4. Probably not enough but usually they give you five candidates 

• Like 1

Just received the ballot this morning. I can wait until after the last few games on Monday to sent it in. There are nine guys on that ballot fir Sixth Man of the Year and Gray is one.