• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson beats Bucknell 14-13 in overtime, but....The ship be sinking

This is one bad offense   Playing WVU is not even going to be funny.  Rob has had 5 good passing years his entire career (two with Enders, one with Athens and 2 with Flacco).  There are no mediocre years.  This will probably be the eighth terrible passing year.  Conference teams will stack the line to stop Matthews without any fear of a big play and then we will have to hit a longer pass (15 yards) consistently to sustain a drive at some point.  If Piggy starts, other teams will also have a fast enough player to stop his runs where we don't pick up a 3rd down conversion at some point.  You just need to stop our offense on one conversion and then we punt.  With no big play threat, we can't sustain drives.  The story is repeating. 

We got lucky as Bucknell was playing better at the end of that game.  Their number 3 and number 11 were better than anyone we had on the field at the end of the game.  Piggy made the throw on 4th down and we made the catch on 4th down I'll give them credit, however that compared to Bucknell's overtime effort.  You could see, as bad as Bucknell was, they were playing better on offense at the end of the game.  I think that game goes to two overtimes and I don't see how we win.  Scott Smith may have been reluctant to throw at times but it wasn't any less productive than RA's dink and dunk Ferguson game plan.  You need to be able to hit ten 15 yard passes a game to be competitive.  not just one or two.     

• Like 1

With all the great games this weekend with packed crowds(WVU/Pitt, App State/UNC) I was hoping people would be excited to get out to the first home game. The team didn't really give us a whole lot to be excited about. If anything, we made the Morgan fans optimistic that they can come steal a W at Johnny U stadium 

43 minutes ago, omniland said:

This is one bad offense   Playing WVU is not even going to be funny.  Rob has had 5 good passing years his entire career (two with Enders, one with Athens and 2 with Flacco).  There are no mediocre years.  This will probably be the eighth terrible passing year.  Conference teams will stack the line to stop Matthews without any fear of a big play and then we will have to hit a longer pass (15 yards) consistently to sustain a drive at some point.  If Piggy starts, other teams will also have a fast enough player to stop his runs where we don't pick up a 3rd down conversion at some point.  You just need to stop our offense on one conversion and then we punt.  With no big play threat, we can't sustain drives.  The story is repeating. 

We got lucky as Bucknell was playing better at the end of that game.  Their number 3 and number 11 were better than anyone we had on the field at the end of the game.  Piggy made the throw on 4th down and we made the catch on 4th down I'll give them credit, however that compared to Bucknell's overtime effort.  You could see, as bad as Bucknell was, they were playing better on offense at the end of the game.  I think that game goes to two overtimes and I don't see how we win.  Scott Smith may have been reluctant to throw at times but it wasn't any less productive than RA's dink and dunk Ferguson game plan.  You need to be able to hit ten 15 yard passes a game to be competitive.  not just one or two.     

This coming from an “offensive minded” coach 

Just looked at the stats from last night. Bucknell’s 2 RB’s ran for 155 yards on 29 carries, which is 5.3 ypc. I don’t think we sacked their QB. He did have -6 yards rushing, but I think that might have been on a play where there was a bad snap, and his knee touched down while he was trying to scoop up the ball 

29 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Just looked at the stats from last night. Bucknell’s 2 RB’s ran for 155 yards on 29 carries, which is 5.3 ypc. I don’t think we sacked their QB. He did have -6 yards rushing, but I think that might have been on a play where there was a bad snap, and his knee touched down while he was trying to scoop up the ball 

some underwhelming OOC results and fails of the Ambrose era…

2014: home opener loss to crenels Connecticut state 31-27 after playing for national championship 8 months earlier…

W @ dreadful del state 21-7 

2015: home win against bad holy cross 29-26

2016: home win against st Francis 35-28. Down 28-10 needed last second td to win it

Loss at bad Dartmouth. 20-17

2017: win against a bad Morgan state  team 10-0

Win @ st Francis 16-14 long field goal at buzzer

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

some underwhelming OOC results and fails of the Ambrose era…

2014: home opener loss to crenels Connecticut state 31-27 after playing for national championship 8 months earlier…

W @ dreadful del state 21-7 

2015: home win against bad holy cross 29-26

2016: home win against st Francis 35-28. Down 28-10 needed last second td to win it

Loss at bad Dartmouth. 20-17

2017: win against a bad Morgan state  team 10-0

Win @ st Francis 16-14 long field goal at buzzer

We’ve certainly had some lackluster OOC performances in the last 9 years, including last night. 1 playoff appearance since 2013 season, and we were unceremoniously drubbed at home in a monsoon by Duquesne in 2018.

Morgan State got smoked 59-7 yesterday by Georgia Southern. I have no clue how good Georgia Southern is, but one can infer by the score that Morgan is a bad team. That being said, I am not at all convinced we’re going to beat them, after what I saw of our performance last night 

Morgan just needs to take their best shot and stack the line of scrimmage, spy Piggy and just do their best to shut down our run.  Don't worry about any pass over 6 yards and make the tackle after a rare completion.  I'm not saying they will win, but they will be in the game until the end and then it is anyone's game.  If this bad offensive Towson team loses to Morgan we are in for record setting losses.  An opener like this is just so disappointing because it never seems to improve.  Dink and dunk Chris Ferguson was just painful to watch the entire season.  I believe we are in for that again, with Matthews in the role of Howard.  What you saw is what is real.  What is the probability of developing a big play passing game based on what you witnessed yesterday?  It is only game one and any rational spectator would have to believe there will be very few big play passes the rest of season.  Even if we have one, we probably won't have many more in a particular game.  RA is going to go with Piggy until he concludes he is getting fired no matter what.  At that point he may do anything.