• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

New Coach Thread

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Well, I guess there are coordinators out there who used to be HC’s, but that would beg the question in my mind why aren’t they a head coach now? The only way we’re getting someone who’s currently a HC would be to hire someone away from a smaller FCS program, I would think 

Ding

I'm sure there are a few of those FCS HC available. I mentioned the Holy Cross coach Bob Chesney, but at the time I didn't know who would be interested. Now Lembo was mentioned because he had that HC experience and is a SC assistant but about to make big $$$. The other way to go is find a guy like that and I know former Rutgers coach Kyle Flood was mentioned. There are guys out there probably like Lembo, but not many. At least there seems to be some good options. 

19 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Well, I guess there are coordinators out there who used to be HC’s, but that would beg the question in my mind why aren’t they a head coach now? The only way we’re getting someone who’s currently a HC would be to hire someone away from a smaller FCS program, I would think 

There is tremendous interest in this program position from around the country.  B10. ACC SEC and AAC. Having these people interested in the job is very telling.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I'm sure there are a few of those FCS HC available. I mentioned the Holy Cross coach Bob Chesney, but at the time I didn't know who would be interested. Now Lembo was mentioned because he had that HC experience and is a SC assistant but about to make big $$$. The other way to go is find a guy like that and I know former Rutgers coach Kyle Flood was mentioned. There are guys out there probably like Lembo, but not many. At least there seems to be some good options. 

I think this is a pretty desirable job, which I’m guessing will pay in excess of 400K, which ain’t chicken feed. I’m fine if we cherry pick a successful FCS HC. I’m leery of the Kyle Flood’s of the world however-a former HC who had middling success and is now a coordinator. Granted, it was Rutgers, but Flood’s record as HC was 27-24. That’s ok, but I’d rather have a hungry young assistant, who can recruit his ass off 

Here's what I see

1)Have to hit a home run with this hire. Whether it's an experienced coach or an FBS assistant. This guy needs to able to recruit right away, find FBS and FCS impact transfers and then sign a few HS/Prep seniors.

2)This is not 2008. Not a knock on Gordy but the program wasn't where it needed to be in terms of resources (kids had to pay for books), no practice fields, and no playoffs. Now, we've made the FINALS and playoffs three times. We have a really nice outdoor practice facility and should be getting a very nice indoor facility shortly with a weight room. Another weight room should be going into Field House expansion, whenever that occurs.

3)Steve didn't come here for the status quo. I thought that about TL as well and he certainly wanted a new head coach, but didn't work out. It's more than just about hiring a new coach, which is Step 1. It's about improving the facilities and having a future plan that hopefully the administration approves as they keep adding to the enrollment and the dorms continue to go up (there will be more). What the future plan is, I can only speculate. But I'm sure it starts with the letter F and ends with S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh snap madam president schatzel is moving on the university of Louisville! We’ll have a new President, AD, and football coach! Big changes hopefully positive changes!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Oh snap madam president schatzel is moving on the university of Louisville! We’ll have a new President, AD, and football coach! Big changes hopefully positive changes!

Is she looking for another morbid basketball program to resurrect?😅 

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Is she looking for another morbid basketball program to resurrect?😅 

Lol the Terps never trailed the whole game last night. Kevin Willard already has Maryland basketball looking better than any team Turgeon led