• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

It's early, but who would you start?

First game is Nov. 7 against Albany at home.

If you've read my reports today and over the summer, you know who I like and this isn't like the past where we had five or six guys that could start. We have about eight. There are a few minor issues I see with this team right now that can't really be corrected. One is lack of size, especially in the backcourt, but Juwan Gray will probably be missed on the defensive end because he as 6-8, long and fairly athletic. Russell is a good defender, stronger and more athletic, but is only 6-4, He's probably more Rizzuto than Gray. Now in the backcourt, if Timberlake plays mainly the 3, Conway (6-1, 190), Hicks (6-0, 180), Gibson (6-1, 185) and Williamson (6-1, 165) are not the biggest guards. Again, it's not a huge deal because Hofstra has always played small guards that can shoot the lights out. If you want to go bigger, you put Timberlake at the 2 and Russell at the 3. Or even bigger with Sylla (6-4, 225) at the 4, Cam at the 3 and Timberlake at the 2. Sure, I'd like to have a 6-8, 225-pound combo forward who can defend the paint and the perimeter. That's where Sylla, who has a 6-11 wingspan will need to step up on the defensive end or you go big with Biekeu or CT at the 4 and Paar at the 5.

Anyhow, this should be a fun team to watch against due to ball movement, experience, talent, 3-point shooting and depth. They are preaching the extra pass and nobody does it better than Cam. He might be the best pass we've ever had and you can't tell by the stats because he gets a lot of hockey assists. 

Timberlake has come as far as any player I think I've ever covered. From his freshman season where he could just jump out of the gym but was very inconstistent to his redshirt freshman season to Sixth Man of the Year. I just didn't see him being this good and now he's scoring in the mid-range, taking it to the basket and making threes. He looks very determined to have an even bigger season. CT is about 6-7, 255 but lean. I think his value aside from low-post offense and defense is in his screens and handle at the top of the key. He's a very smart player and we're fortunate to have him for at least one more year (hopefully 2). Gibby needs to stay healthy. We know he can shoot, but for him to take it to the next level, I'd like to see him getting a few more dimes.

So we all know about Gibby, Timberlake, Thompson and Holden. Sylla is basically JD and Russell is a 6-4 combo of Rizzuto and a little bit of Gray. Conway is an incredible shooter. Hicks is a good defender and improving 3-point shooter. What would your starting five be?

• Like 1

Hicks, NT, Holden, Russell & CT. 

I don’t like Gibson as a starter. He’s not a PG, he’s a liability (lack of quickness) on D, and I think he could be more productive as an offensive spark off the bench.

If Conway is the best shooter we’ve had in the Skerry era, I’m tempted to say start him, but there are other considerations, such as how is he on defense. But, it doesn’t necessarily matter who starts the game, but rather who finishes. That being said, if Conway isn’t seeing significant minutes before the end of the season, I’ll be sorely disappointed 

Hicks, Timberlake, Cam, Sylla, CT

This team has options. I could see Conway starting over Hicks and Russell for Sylla. The depth is looking great and we have a team that can move pieces around and play against the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent. 

1 hour ago, ReverendRemulak said:

Hicks, Timberlake, Cam, Sylla, CT

This team has options. I could see Conway starting over Hicks and Russell for Sylla. The depth is looking great and we have a team that can move pieces around and play against the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent. 

Agree. Gibson and Conway could be instant offense off the bench with their shooting. We have legit 9-10 players with the last two being chase and or Coleman/freshmen