• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

UNI pummels MBB in second half, wins 83-66

Just not enough of a 3 point threat without Gibson.  If Gibson is healthy teams have to guard him and Timberlake will get some better looks and less pressure.  You cannot be a good mid major with only a 6'7" big man and not be deadly from 3.  The young guys just are not there yet in terms of making teams worry about their 3's.  I really don't know when Gibson is coming back but he had some great 3 point games last year.  I really don't know where the improvement in 3's is going to come from. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, omniland said:

Just not enough of a 3 point threat without Gibson.  If Gibson is healthy teams have to guard him and Timberlake will get some better looks and less pressure.  You cannot be a good mid major with only a 6'7" big man and not be deadly from 3.  The young guys just are not there yet in terms of making teams worry about their 3's.  I really don't know when Gibson is coming back but he had some great 3 point games last year.  I really don't know where the improvement in 3's is going to come from. 

To be fair Conway has been pretty good from three. Albeit small size. He was the only highlight from todays game. 

19 minutes ago, tualum said:

Skerry ball…

Since 2011, rinse, wash, repeat 

Edited by TSU88

Sincere question, do the guys on the team respect Skerry as a basketball coach and as a basketball “mind”? I’m sure they all like & respect him as a man and as a pillar of the community that he truly is but do they trust what he’s taking about when it comes to X’s & O’s, strategy and his bball IQ? Do they respect him as an authority figure? I feel like he could read them the riot act to get them motivated and get their butts in gear and it would just go in one ear and out the other. 

What’s his reputation on the recruiting trail and in coaching circles? 

14 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Sincere question, do the guys on the team respect Skerry as a basketball coach and as a basketball “mind”? I’m sure they all like & respect him as a man and as a pillar of the community that he truly is but do they trust what he’s taking about when it comes to X’s & O’s, strategy and his bball IQ? Do they respect him as an authority figure? I feel like he could read them the riot act to get them motivated and get their butts in gear and it would just go in one ear and out the other. 

What’s his reputation on the recruiting trail and in coaching circles? 

I don’t think he’s a great offensive minded coach. A lot of his sets lack imagination and our OOB sets are always horrific and typically lead to a lob to the safety valve.  He did make some adjustments last year which helped. But we are stuck with the same staff year in year our (why do we think that is?!  The seats never get hot and there are 0 expectations for Towson athletics). 

I do think the players like him but it’s been 10 +years and we still haven’t had a point guard. It might not be a player issue but the style of play and coaching. I mean a bling squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  His big issue is he doesn’t play young guys (I tend to agree) but it kills their confidence and many leave. Recruiting is a mess. Eddie Keith. Jd Morsel. Tj Gibson. Charles. Nick * the most successful that we had out of hs. We have seen so many overrated busts and other kids who can’t play at this level (1/3 of our Roster now)

But in the end it doesn’t matter. Some on here called a 18-14- through 20-13 and out in the first round of the caa tournament a success. We are halfway to that so those folks are happy!

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I don’t think he’s a great offensive minded coach. A lot of his sets lack imagination and our OOB sets are always horrific and typically lead to a lob to the safety valve.  He did make some adjustments last year which helped. But we are stuck with the same staff year in year our (why do we think that is?!  The seats never get hot and there are 0 expectations for Towson athletics). 

I do think the players like him but it’s been 10 +years and we still haven’t had a point guard. It might not be a player issue but the style of play and coaching. I mean a bling squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  His big issue is he doesn’t play young guys (I tend to agree) but it kills their confidence and many leave. Recruiting is a mess. Eddie Keith. Jd Morsel. Tj Gibson. Charles. Nick * the most successful that we had out of hs. We have seen so many overrated busts and other kids who can’t play at this level (1/3 of our Roster now)

But in the end it doesn’t matter. Some on here called a 18-14- through 20-13 and out in the first round of the caa tournament a success. We are halfway to that so those folks are happy!

It’s amazing (and depressing at the same time) how a former PG such as himself has been such an abject failure when it comes to bringing in a quality PG. I guess the best one was Hairston, who washed out after 1 year, and that was over a decade ago. He’s also never really had a skilled 2 guard, who can fill up the stat sheet and take over a game, or at least be clutch at the end of a game. Morsell was the closest I suppose , though he was more of a small forward I think. Timberlake was good last year, but before that he was just another guy & so far this season he’s regressed.

Think of the dozens of quality guards who’ve been in the CAA during the Skerry era. It’s inconceivable that Skerry hasn’t brought in even 1 such player during all this time (maybe Conway could be such a guy). 

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

It’s amazing (and depressing at the same time) how a former PG such as himself has been such an abject failure when it comes to bringing in a quality PG. I guess the best one was Hairston, who washed out after 1 year, and that was over a decade ago. He’s also never really had a skilled 2 guard, who can fill up the stat sheet and take over a game, or at least be clutch at the end of a game. Morsell was the closest I suppose , though he was more of a small forward I think. Timberlake was good last year, but before that he was just another guy & so far this season he’s regressed.

Think of the dozens of quality guards who’ve been in the CAA during the Skerry era. It’s inconceivable that Skerry hasn’t brought in even 1 such player during all this time (maybe Conway could be such a guy). 

Lol. What could have been, frank mason if you didn’t fail history.
 Hairston was a hot head and went crazy in the Kansas locker and thus got kicked off. 

caa is about guard play, hence why we haven’t ever made any noise