• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

Messiah Jones

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4398279/messiah-jones

Just don't see it with either player as far as being a good fit as a starter. Maybe in the rotation. Thankfully, there will be about 800+ more players coming in the next month. I guess we can always use depth, though Thompson, if he's healthy and in shape intrigues me the most because he's a big body with three-point range.

17 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I mean, a lot of teams didn’t play anywhere close to a full season.  Tough to tell a kid hey you played 14 games, that’s a full season. 

True, but it is overstuffing the rosters and blocking other player future opportunities. Probably better in some ways for quality of play. On its own, I completely agree with not shortchanging a player out of their career. Paired with NIL, Transfer Portal and the general way things go these days it just makes for more of a mess. Again, I am not saying don't do it. I just don't like seeing sixth (unless medical and or family hardship) and seventh year players. It will be gone soon anyways, and it is a pretty small issue in the grand scheme of everything. 

16 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Agreed. I’m simply saying that most of the players who will be in the portal haven’t entered it yet. If there’s someone in there now that we’re in love with, of course, go for it. Otherwise, patience is a virtue. Now that we know NT isn’t coming back, we’ve got over 40ppg to replace. If CT doesn’t come back, it’ll be over 50. The stakes are high. The staff has to hit several home runs in the portal. No strikeouts (Paar, Sylla); no bloop singles (Rizzuto); no fly balls lost in the sun by the outfielders (Russell). 

Bloop singles and doubles are fine as long as there is one home run in there somewhere. Nolan Jr was probably a double (could have been a triple if healthier) and I think Russell Rizzuto were more like walks. Sylla was probably a hit by pitch. I know I am torturing the metaphor. Cam was pretty close to a home run, but with some of the free throw shooting and regression ultimately ended up being more of a triple.

I know this is a huge generalization, but I do think the Cam-type of player is a good one to target. Someone who has versatility and has been an all-conference performer in a similar or a little lower level than ours. Easier said then done, because it seemed like a lot of things fell into place for him to end up here.

I like the idea of really good D-2 players and it has worked well for many schools. I think the Sylla gamble was a good one, but like I said when you watched film of him you could tell a role player was the best we were getting. I have been a Georgetown fan most of my life as well and watched Benimon his freshman year. I remember thinking as long as he wasn't too selfish it was a huge get to have someone of his talent at Towson. That and Gary Neal's situation seem like blind luck.

Every year is different, but thank goodness for the transfer portal because this it would be an impossible transition (might still be very rough) without it. This adds to the intrigue of roster building for next year. Skerry deserves tremendous credit for what pulled off in 2021, but the pressure is on to keep doing it or else regress. 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Cam was pretty close to a home run, but with some of the free throw shooting and regression ultimately ended up being more of a triple.

He was a first team all conference player. If any transfer gets to that status it’s a home run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

He was a first team all conference player. If any transfer gets to that status it’s a home run. 

I won't argue that. Cam was definitely a huge part of the success the program has had in the past two years. Not sure where we would have been if you substitute a transfer miss in his place. Probably somewhere in the middle of where we were in 2020-21 and this year.