• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023 General Football News

40 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

This is pretty good article. There are some good thoughts and facts and other stuff just made up.   
Michigan and Georgia are in large college towns not too far from major cities. You have UT, Univ Tennessee, Ohio state, Minnesota, nc state, Arizona state. Univ Washington, etc are all in mid to larger cities/college towns. Baltimore is not that big of a town. It is in fact the furthest from a college sports town. 

The students don’t care and what do we think they ever will? They mock athletics and complain about student fees. Would winning really help? Sure to some extent but even with west and Benimon the stadiums were 3/4 full max and most left at half. Silly little giveaways get them in the gates for a bit and they are gone. We used to be able to claim that it was an affordable family event but has anyone seen the ticket prices recently?!

JMU was successful because they wanted to be. We don’t. It’s that simple. They had/made the money work to spend to be sucked full. They spent more in their last few years in the caa than most all other G5 programs. That’s for all sports. They have some of the highest student fees in the nation. We don’t have enough money to buy out a coach in their last year of the contract. 

By not knowing what type of school we want to be, we have a minimal eggs to go around and they are being spread amongst too many baskets, rather than being all in on a few sports. 

I think the new AD has new ideas and plan to change but we will see how successful they are.

Look forward to others thoughts on this and for the same old same old to criticize and tell me just be happy we have programs, record doesn’t matter. 

I agree on the affordability piece. They should have a $5 standing room only ticket like at O’s games and you can just stand on the track by the beer vendor. That would be more attractive than a $35 ticket to see the 1-2 tigers play Norfolk state

50 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

This is pretty good article. There are some good thoughts and facts and other stuff just made up.   
Michigan and Georgia are in large college towns not too far from major cities. You have UT, Univ Tennessee, Ohio state, Minnesota, nc state, Arizona state. Univ Washington, etc are all in mid to larger cities/college towns. Baltimore is not that big of a town. It is in fact the furthest from a college sports town. 

The students don’t care and what do we think they ever will? They mock athletics and complain about student fees. Would winning really help? Sure to some extent but even with west and Benimon the stadiums were 3/4 full max and most left at half. Silly little giveaways get them in the gates for a bit and they are gone. We used to be able to claim that it was an affordable family event but has anyone seen the ticket prices recently?!

JMU was successful because they wanted to be. We don’t. It’s that simple. They had/made the money work to spend to be sucked full. They spent more in their last few years in the caa than most all other G5 programs. That’s for all sports. They have some of the highest student fees in the nation. We don’t have enough money to buy out a coach in their last year of the contract. 

By not knowing what type of school we want to be, we have a minimal eggs to go around and they are being spread amongst too many baskets, rather than being all in on a few sports. 

I think the new AD has new ideas and plan to change but we will see how successful they are.

Look forward to others thoughts on this and for the same old same old to criticize and tell me just be happy we have programs, record doesn’t matter. 

Fully admit that I have a local bias and it's a sample size of ONE, but I look at a school like Kennesaw State, here in GA (~15 miles north of Atlanta).  I think this qualifies as a metro/suburban University similar to Towson.

-Didn't have a football program until 2015

-Play FCS; Big South Conference

-On-campus stadium holds 8,300

-Undergrad Enrollment: ~33,000

-Program winning %: .739

This is a school that compares very well to Towson in all facets from academic reputation/status, local reputation, media coverage (or lack thereof), light years behind in fan interest compared to the "big-boy" in-state programs and the local pro teams.  I would guess that the university budgets & endowments are not too different or are similar in relative terms.  They don't pack their stadium on game days either.  They even wear black & gold like our Tigers.

And yet, this time next year, they'll be a card-carrying member of C-USA and the media & financial benefits that come with it.  In less than 10 years of existence.    

Now, that .739 winning % over 8+ seasons is pretty damn stout and clearly has something to do with the move.  Winning solves a lot of problems and gets noticed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blounge said:

I agree on the affordability piece. They should have a $5 standing room only ticket like at O’s games and you can just stand on the track by the beer vendor. That would be more attractive than a $35 ticket to see the 1-2 tigers play Norfolk state

Something needs to be done. Family of 4 would cost 160 to just get in the gates.  For Towson football that’s WAY too much

2 hours ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Fully admit that I have a local bias and it's a sample size of ONE, but I look at a school like Kennesaw State, here in GA (~15 miles north of Atlanta).  I think this qualifies as a metro/suburban University similar to Towson.

-Didn't have a football program until 2015

-Play FCS; Big South Conference

-On-campus stadium holds 8,300

-Undergrad Enrollment: ~33,000

-Program winning %: .739

This is a school that compares very well to Towson in all facets from academic reputation/status, local reputation, media coverage (or lack thereof), light years behind in fan interest compared to the "big-boy" in-state programs and the local pro teams.  I would guess that the university budgets & endowments are not too different or are similar in relative terms.  They don't pack their stadium on game days either.  They even wear black & gold like our Tigers.

And yet, this time next year, they'll be a card-carrying member of C-USA and the media & financial benefits that come with it.  In less than 10 years of existence.    

Now, that .739 winning % over 8+ seasons is pretty damn stout and clearly has something to do with the move.  Winning solves a lot of problems and gets noticed.  

Very good comp.  They even have it tougher, while Georgia is crazy for football, they are competing with uga, tech, all of the other sec schools, and to a much lesser extent Georgia state. 
Not familiar with their stadium and campus but something tells me they can handle a bigger crowd and stadium than we can. We just can’t handle the infrastructure for big boy football

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Something needs to be done. Family of 4 would cost 160 to just get in the gates.  For Towson football that’s WAY too much

I remember being sad 10 years ago to hear $15 a ticket to buy my parents two tickets to the game when i was a student. Anything over $15 nowadays is too much for the product we put on the field and the lack of demand for tickets. 

i also remember being sad when they banned tailgating. Imagine how many fans we would have now if they didn’t pull that boneheaded move!  The students literally boycotted going to the game to protest the tailgate ban. 

They gotta figure something out, do I need to cold call every towson alum to get them fired up for the Pete shinnick era?

6 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I remember being sad 10 years ago to hear $15 a ticket to buy my parents two tickets to the game when i was a student. Anything over $15 nowadays is too much for the product we put on the field and the lack of demand for tickets. 

i also remember being sad when they banned tailgating. Imagine how many fans we would have now if they didn’t pull that boneheaded move!  The students literally boycotted going to the game to protest the tailgate ban. 

They gotta figure something out, do I need to cold call every towson alum to get them fired up for the Pete shinnick era?

Well that was on the students being dumb. More leave before the game starts anyway.

another crowd of 3,000 or less upcoming this weekend