• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

22 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Glad to see this announcement. I know this was the case a few years back and COVID broke things up, but I hope the conference and schools can be creative with benefits for its fanbases to get the tournament. I know the area around the arena isn't great, but it is obviously a destination city where people should want to come for 2-4 days.

The next step for me would be getting it to run from Wednesday-Sunday so people can more easily plan their schedules around it, but I know our TV deal will make that pretty difficult. I was all set to go last year and it fell apart, because the days of the tournament for the top teams mostly interfere with work schedules if you are traveling from out of state or even from Towson where you have to leave work somewhat early with all of the traffic craziness.

The more schools can do pre-game gatherings around the Navy Yard, packaged closely with hotel locations and give people transportation to the arena the better. Although, it is pretty easy to get to with the Metro as well. I think there is some potential there, but for anyone to care about this tournament from a general standpoint Charleston will have to continue to raise the level/profile of their program and a couple of schools need to come with him (it would be nice if one of them could be Towson). That is the only way to raise the profile of this league. I know the fanbases aren't that well-supported (or close to this location) around the league, but this arena is about the right size to at least have solid atmosphere if we could get a semifinals and finals full of teams that are having really good seasons. 

28 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Glad to see this announcement. I know this was the case a few years back and COVID broke things up, but I hope the conference and schools can be creative with benefits for its fanbases to get the tournament. I know the area around the arena isn't great, but it is obviously a destination city where people should want to come for 2-4 days.

The next step for me would be getting it to run from Wednesday-Sunday so people can more easily plan their schedules around it, but I know our TV deal will make that pretty difficult. I was all set to go last year and it fell apart, because the days of the tournament for the top teams mostly interfere with work schedules if you are traveling from out of state or even from Towson where you have to leave work somewhat early with all of the traffic craziness.

The more schools can do pre-game gatherings around the Navy Yard, packaged closely with hotel locations and give people transportation to the arena the better. Although, it is pretty easy to get to with the Metro as well. I think there is some potential there, but for anyone to care about this tournament from a general standpoint Charleston will have to continue to raise the level/profile of their program and a couple of schools need to come with him (it would be nice if one of them could be Towson). That is the only way to raise the profile of this league. I know the fanbases aren't that well-supported (or close to this location) around the league, but this arena is about the right size to at least have solid atmosphere if we could get a semifinals and finals full of teams that are having really good seasons. 

Meh. The best option of bad ones.  The schedule sucks and will continue to. League doesn’t need any larger arena especially in that area because 2000 will be the max attendance unless WM makes the final.

Ideally the season would end on a Thursday with 11-14 and 12-13 playing on Sunday at higher seeds gym with the right to go to DC for a 12 team Fri-Mon format like the old days in Richmond 

• Like 2

$50 a ticket for a half empty stadium conference tournament experience, lame! Give students $5-10 ticket deal and put them on a bus from towson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blounge said:

$50 a ticket for a half empty stadium conference tournament experience, lame! Give students $5-10 ticket deal and put them on a bus from towson

Again, it’s “close” to a lot of teams but not close enough to draw a crowd when only 3 fan bases draw more than flies. Expensive hotels don’t help either.

the Towson students would Need to be paid more than 5-10 bucks to go. I think 50-75 may be enough to entice them 

• Haha 2