• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

Quotes from The Sun article

When Towson men’s basketball coach Pat Skerry and assistant coach John Auslander delivered the good news to Nendah Tarke Wednesday that his application for a waiver to play this season had finally been approved after a four-month wait, Tarke wasn’t entirely sure how to react.

“I was kind of shocked,” he recalled. “I kind of just stared at both the coaches when they told me. I had heard positive things kind of throughout. So I thought, ‘Maybe this is just one of those. So don’t let me get my hopes up too much because another thing sets it back.’ It didn’t really sink in immediately until maybe a day or two after.”

“I’m a mellow guy,” he said after the team’s victory over the Retrievers. “I’m going to be excited and anxious for sure. But I don’t know if anyone would really describe me as too amped up. I’m ready. I’m ready for it.”

NCAA transfer rules mandate that a player who transfers to two programs in the same offseason must sit out one season. But Skerry said Towson’s position was that Tarke had not enrolled at Nicholls State for a course or practiced with the players or coaches there. University officials answered several inquiries from the NCAA but could do nothing except wait for a decision, which arrived in the middle of last week.

“We’re obviously thrilled for Nendah and our program that he has been provided relief,” Skerry said. “I don’t really want to get into why it took so long. That’s still head-scratching to me. So at this point, we are hopeful to have him on Saturday.

“We’re trying to tie that up right now with the reinstatement process with the end of his academic semester, which for him is Monday. It’s not easy to go through what this kid went through. He was at one school — physically at one school. But he has handled it with a lot of grace, a lot of dignity.”

Tarke described the wait as “rough” as he would get his hopes up regarding a potential verdict only to have the date pushed back. He acknowledged “there were dark times” when he thought he would be forced to miss the season.

Asked how he didn’t give in to the frustration, Tarke replied, “I love the sport. Just having that mindset of, ‘OK, if I’m not going to play, I’m still here, and I can make an impact on somebody else.’ Whether that’s making my teammates better in practice or trying to help them on or off the court, I can’t just be selfish and say, ‘OK, because I’m not playing, I’m not going to give 100% effort.’ You’re still here, you still have a job to do, you’re still on scholarship. So it’s my obligation to them to give my all to the program whether I’m playing or not.”

Tarke has the potential to be an immediate contributor. In three years at Coppin State, he compiled 1,025 points (a 12.2 average), 502 rebounds (6.0), 182 steals (2.2) and 175 assists (2.1). Last season, he averaged 12.5 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.7 steals in 32 games (31 starts) and was named to the MEAC All-Defensive team for the second year in a row.

Skerry half-joked that Tarke is the type of player who would be coveted in fantasy basketball leagues.

“He guards it, he passes it, he scores it, he rebounds,” he said. “He does a lot of different things to fill up a stat sheet. He has great versatility. Him and [sophomore shooting guard] Christian May have had a lot of really good battles in practice. So I’m looking forward to getting those guys out there on the court together. He knows he’s going to do his job. We’re just thankful we’re going to have at least a couple of nonconference games to try to blend this thing together, and we’re going to use practice this week a little more intensely.”

“I’m just going to treat it like a normal game,” he said. “It’s not about me. So I’m not going to come out here and be like, ‘Oh, it’s my first game. So I’ve got to do X, Y and Z.’ It’s just like, ‘How can I help the team win?’ I’ve never come into a game thinking I’ve got to get 30 points or I’ve got to get however many rebounds or assists. It’s just however I can impact the team and how I can help them win. That’s what I’m looking at.”

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Good article. I’ve always donated to the TAF, but would consider this too. My guess is this is given to way less than the TAF or others. It would be nice if they put together a chart/graphic that shows what exactly goes where etc. 

School has a donation and sports issue. We have to be on the lower end (even with the new programs) in terms of giving. We are there in attendance.  We can’t even draw 2,000 for a game against umass. Probably 250 or so students, out of 22k.

How many people actually give and at what amounts? It would be interesting to see those numbers.  Their marketing and whoever runs their contributions is awful. They don’t call or reach out often or at all (donate twice a year). Hoops Season ticket holder for a decade had football tickets until 2017. No one’s called or emailed asking to purchase or donate more.  University as well not just athletics.  

I’ll put $500 into the collective for each win in the CAAT we have 

• Like 3

Capital One Arena is what 26 years old?!

Times have so changed…. so much money to piss around.  

I will support the Towson players by buying their gear but I’m not handing over money to the University.  

Do we have a copy of the profit/loss report for Towson University for each fiscal year going back to 1993 or so?

37 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

How many people actually give and at what amounts? It would be interesting to see those numbers.  Their marketing and whoever runs their contributions is awful. They don’t call or reach out often or at all (donate twice a year). Hoops Season ticket holder for a decade had football tickets until 2017. No one’s called or emailed asking to purchase or donate more.  University as well not just athletics.  

I’ll put $500 into the collective for each win in the CAAT we have 

@tigerjake can you show this to the ticket sales office? I know dom kogok just got a new job with monumental sports but somebody should be calling the season ticket holders. Also should be calling all the players high school coaches asking them to come out and support their guy and bring a bus full of high school students as well

• Like 1

Maybe a group of business and sports marketing majors in a contest to see who can generate more ticket sales? Semester long project to see if they can sell 1,000 season tickets?

Anybody start looking at flights and hotels yet???  

Assuming no Dayton 🤞
Spokane  Salt Lake City  Omaha Indianapolis  Pittsburgh Charlotte  Memphis  Brooklyn 

Despite based in San Francisco no way I want to go shithole Spokane or dry Salt Lake City.  

Remaining 6 sound good to me!

March 21-24 

3 months away!  I’ll be wearing my yellow long sleeve Charles Thompson jersey.  Lets make sure we get a group photo 😉

Edited by Bay Area Tiger