• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

A great sign of just where this conference is, is that in an article where they mention a small nugget about 32 conferences the thing they have to say about the great Coastal Athletic Conference is that a 6'7" player from Delaware is shooting 88% from the free throw line.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39321121/32-intriguing-men-college-basketball-storylines-midway-2023-24

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

A great sign of just where this conference is, is that in an article where they mention a small nugget about 32 conferences the thing they have to say about the great Coastal Athletic Conference is that a 6'7" player from Delaware is shooting 88% from the free throw line.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39321121/32-intriguing-men-college-basketball-storylines-midway-2023-24

From Final Fours to this, the Joe D’Antoni story

4 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

The conference is fine. It is not great, but it is not horrible. I know it was called out how bad we were in the conference NET rankings earlier this year. It should be noted we have jumped to 17 of 32 (I think it was like 23 or 24 when this last shared). The average is only slightly above the Big South and Sun Belt (at 18 and 19) so it would be easy to slide back a couple of spots. Right now, I would say we are the best of the worse conferences since Conference USA's average is 10 spots ahead of ours (seems like a hard amount to make up during conference play).

I am not saying the conference is great, but I would say it is better than a lot of people on here give it credit for. We are 185 out of 362 in the NET, which is slightly below average. There are six teams above that average line of about 181 (Drexel, College of Charleston, UNC-W. Hofstra, Delaware and Monmouth). The only non-power conferences with that many teams above the average 181 line are the AAC, the Atlantic 10, the Mountain West and the Missouri Valley. Obviously, those conference are way better than us, but we do have some decent quality depth.

Where the argument falls apart is we are one of only 12 conferences without a team in the top 100, and we have five teams ranked 292 or lower. 

https://bracketologists.com/conferences/

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

The conference is fine. It is not great, but it is not horrible. I know it was called out how bad we were in the conference NET rankings earlier this year. It should be noted we have jumped to 17 of 32 (I think it was like 23 or 24 when this last shared). The average is only slightly above the Big South and Sun Belt (at 18 and 19) so it would be easy to slide back a couple of spots. Right now, I would say we are the best of the worse conferences since Conference USA's average is 10 spots ahead of ours (seems like a hard amount to make up during conference play).

I am not saying the conference is great, but I would say it is better than a lot of people on here give it credit for. We are 185 out of 362 in the NET, which is slightly below average. There are six teams above that average line of about 181 (Drexel, College of Charleston, UNC-W. Hofstra, Delaware and Monmouth). The only non-power conferences with that many teams above the average 181 line are the AAC, the Atlantic 10, the Mountain West and the Missouri Valley. Obviously, those conference are way better than us, but we do have some decent quality depth.

Where the argument falls apart is we are one of only 12 conferences without a team in the top 100, and we have five teams ranked 292 or lower. 

https://bracketologists.com/conferences/

The league is a hodge podge of misfits. Had a few nice wins this year OOC and not many bad losses. Which is different than in past years. The issue is scheduling. Need to step that up and stop playing non d1 games that don’t count, and improve scheduling philosophies. Less schedules full of 5+ buy games and less cupcakes (ahem auburn drive). But with so many new teams that need to make ends meet, that is what is being done.

The real issue is money. 0 wins in 10 years. Has to be the longest streak in the nation. Need those extra units. the last win was a PIG (and that school just left). We aren’t even competitive in the games (sans last year)
Has a current caa team besides uncw ever won a game?!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The league is a hodge podge of misfits. Had a few nice wins this year OOC and not many bad losses. Which is different than in past years. The issue is scheduling. Need to step that up and stop playing non d1 games that don’t count, and improve scheduling philosophies. Less schedules full of 5+ buy games and less cupcakes (ahem auburn drive). But with so many new teams that need to make ends meet, that is what is being done.

The real issue is money. 0 wins in 10 years. Has to be the longest streak in the nation. Need those extra units. the last win was a PIG (and that school just left). We aren’t even competitive in the games (sans last year)
Has a current caa team besides uncw ever won a game?!

Drexel beat Memphis in 1996 (after Drexel jobbed us in the 1996 NAC Semifinal)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Drexel beat Memphis in 1996 (after Drexel jobbed us in the 1996 NAC Semifinal)

Ugh, I still have PTSD from that parade to the free throw line. 

Charleston beat the Twerps in 97. 

6 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

Ugh, I still have PTSD from that parade to the free throw line. 

Charleston beat the Twerps in 97. 

Don't forget Hampton's 15-seed over 2-seed win against Iowa State in 2001. They weren't in the CAA then, but they are now. 

47 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Don't forget Hampton's 15-seed over 2-seed win against Iowa State in 2001. They weren't in the CAA then, but they are now. 

I was talking members that won it as part of the caa. I get there’s been a lot of changes but the Am East group has been in the league coming on two decades now. 
Im pretty sure Hampton also won a game or two more recently than that. Jervon Presley, of former Towson lore, was on one of those teams