• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

22 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Drexel was in it last week.  We in essence should have bumped them this week when Lunardi updates it.  

No. Drexel has a better record.  Lunardi goes off whose first in standings

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

No. Drexel has a better record.  Lunardi goes off whose first in standings

No he does not.  Before Drexel he had UNC Wilmington in there.  I’ve been following all season long. 

13 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I think Lunardi just puts whoever is in first place in one-bid conference leagues during the regular-season. You might be giving him too much credit for following what is truly going on at a mid-major level. 

Yup!

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Drexel hadn’t lost a game until last week. 
He had UNC Wilmington previously before them.  The man is a guru and just doesn’t cut and paste.  

No he literally does that. Also these “Bracketologists” are funny. They claim to be 95% or whatever. But out of the 68 teams, 32 are AQs leaving 36. Another half of those are top 25 teams so leaving at most 12-16 spots in actual consideration 

23 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

No he does not.  Before Drexel he had UNC Wilmington in there.  I’ve been following all season long. 

You might be right as I haven't checked for a good part of the year, but from a quick check on Twitter it looks like on January 12, 2024 he had Drexel after the week where Drexel and Towson both beat UNC-W. I think Drexel has been there ever since. The last week I saw UNC-W there was December 29, but I couldn't find one for the next week. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 1:41 PM, AtlantaTiger said:

Happy Friday, fellow Tigers.

Going a bit off-topic here but with respect to Towson’s historic sports marketing challenges and missteps, I think there could be the potential for a timely and relevant earned media boost in the near future. 

Now that Towson alum Kristin Juszczyk has new found fame as being a fashion design icon, with clients including Taylor Swift, I think Pat Skerry should send his measurements to Kristin for a custom Towson “fit” to be worn in future post game press conferences, particularly in the very, very, very, unlikely chance we qualify for the NCAA Tournament. The program would get a lot of nice coverage and Pat would look like a total boss. 

In all seriousness someone needs to contact her and ask for her to design some new Towson swag. The Juszczyk line exclusively for Towson. 

Go Tigers!!

Now with the 49ers having locked in to the SB, the two week media blitz really takes off with every possible story being written and produced. No doubt Kristin Juszczyk will be getting a TON of press around her lifestyle design brand. I would imagine plenty of media outlets will mention her connection to “Townson” as they give her bio & background and the story of how she met Kyle.

Towson needs to strike while the iron is hot and find a clever and creative way to get on her fame-train. Any and all publicity, no matter how much of a stretch it is, should be welcomed.

Again, I think Pat would look like a total G walking the sidelines of the CAA Tournament or, dare I suggest the NCAA Tournament, in a custom suit from Kristin. 

Edited by AtlantaTiger
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Have we ever had two in the same week??!

I did a quick scan and our Rookie of the Week history was not very plentiful before this year. It looked like our last Rookie of the Week before this season was Jason Gibson on January 27, 2020. Prior to that it was Mike Morsell on February 2, 2016. Jerome Hairston won it four times in 2012-13.

On December 31, 2012, Jerelle Benimon was named Player of the Week and Hairston claimed Rookie of the Week honors. It also happened on January 16, 2006 when Gary Neal won Player of the Week and Tim Crossin won Rookie of the Week. 

Other Rookie of the Week honorees included Troy Franklin November 24 & December 8, 2009, Tim Crossin December 5, 2005, January 16 & February 20, 2006. Trevan Jackson on December 1, 2003, and Lawrence Hamm on December 16, 2002, January 20 & February 3, 2003. 

This year and 2012-13 are the only times we have had four Rookie of the Week selections. It looks like Hairston (4), Crossin (3), Hamm (3) and Tejada (3) are the only ones to win it three or more times. This year, I believe is also the first time we have had two different players named Rookie of the Week in the same season. 

This was a quick scan so I may have missed some on my scanning. https://caasports.com/documents/2023/4/6/recordbook23mbask.pdf

• Like 1

Yeah, it’s been awhile since we’ve had quality freshmen who start or play a lot. I almost forgot that Dylan was eligible for that award. 

54 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Any news on Thursday?  Athletics doing anything?

Dwight Schultz aka Captain Murdock Bobblehead Giveaway to the first 250 fans in attendance.