• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

Robert Morris; Morgan; UMass and Nicholls State & a TBD. Not the most scintillating OOC home schedule 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Robert Morris; Morgan; UMass and Nicholls State & a TBD. Not the most scintillating OOC home schedule 

Yeah, not too exciting of a home slate. I do think there are some pretty good road/neutral games. 

Getting what could be a solid A-10 team in UMass isn't bad, and I think Nicholls State is a fairly respectable program. However, I do agree that none of those are overly exciting. I don't think it is from lack of trying. There just aren't many options out there, and I do think the fact that we have been pretty good the last two years probably makes it even tougher to get those teams to come to Towson. Still, at some point we have to get a some sort of high major team to come to SECU even if we just take a bath on a 2-for-1 (or even a 3-for-1) type deal. I don't advocate doing this regularly, but would be nice to have some sort of big matchup to getting casual fans excited about. 

11 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

. I do think there are some pretty good road/neutral games

No question CU; Charleston Classic & SDSU. It is curious to me why we’re flying all the way out to S. Dakota, after we’re already flying to Colorado earlier in the season. Is it a 1-1 deal? The Charleston Classic field is brutal-Dayton;Houston; LSU; St. John’s; North Texas (won the NIT last season); Utah and Wake Forest. I would like to think the relative strength of our entire OOC schedule will have us well prepared for conference play come early January. 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I mean it’s probably the best we’ve had in a while.  Again the local games do nothing for us.  Overall it looks to be pretty good schedule but then Again last years did and it turned out to be dookie 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Yeah, not too exciting of a home slate. I do think there are some pretty good road/neutral games. 

Getting what could be a solid A-10 team in UMass isn't bad, and I think Nicholls State is a fairly respectable program. However, I do agree that none of those are overly exciting. I don't think it is from lack of trying. There just aren't many options out there, and I do think the fact that we have been pretty good the last two years probably makes it even tougher to get those teams to come to Towson. Still, at some point we have to get a some sort of high major team to come to SECU even if we just take a bath on a 2-for-1 (or even a 3-for-1) type deal. I don't advocate doing this regularly, but would be nice to have some sort of big matchup to getting casual fans excited about. 

We don’t schedule well. Exude is “we we good and can’t get 1-1 or 2-1”. Ask the other teams around our stature and conference..

18 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I mean it’s probably the best we’ve had in a while.  Again the local games do nothing for us.  Overall it looks to be pretty good schedule but then Again last years did and it turned out to be dookie 

We don’t schedule well. Exude is “we we good and can’t get 1-1 or 2-1”. Ask the other teams around our stature and conference..

I would assume we do ask other teams around our stature and conference, and I am guessing that is how Nicholls State, Bryant and probably Robert Morris came about. We obviously fill in part of the schedule with local games (Coppin State, UMBC and Morgan State) which probably should be one game less, or preferably Navy over Coppin or Morgan (we should really only play one at this point). UMass is a good home game, and I do think Colorado, the Charleston Classic field and South Dakota State are all good matchups.

The last 4-5 years, I feel like Skerry has worked hard to get challenging schedules that give us a chance to have a solid NET if we win them and to try to either play at home against decent competition or play challenging competition on the road. Two years ago it worked pretty welly, last year the teams we played didn't live up to expectations and neither did we. I think this schedule is set up fairly well to do much of the same. I think all of us appreciate that we no longer play crappy D-2 schools, and I think we are all equally impatient as we wait for the first time we get a big win against high quality opposition (UMass was as close as we got last year, but would have been nice to beat Clemson). We get our shot against Colorado, the Charleston field and possibly a really good mid-major win against South Dakota State if they are having a good year. I am just happy the Tigers come to region I live for the second year in a row. 

19 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I would assume we do ask other teams around our stature and conference, and I am guessing that is how Nicholls State, Bryant and probably Robert Morris came about. We obviously fill in part of the schedule with local games (Coppin State, UMBC and Morgan State) which probably should be one game less, or preferably Navy over Coppin or Morgan (we should really only play one at this point). UMass is a good home game, and I do think Colorado, the Charleston Classic field and South Dakota State are all good matchups.

The last 4-5 years, I feel like Skerry has worked hard to get challenging schedules that give us a chance to have a solid NET if we win them and to try to either play at home against decent competition or play challenging competition on the road. Two years ago it worked pretty welly, last year the teams we played didn't live up to expectations and neither did we. I think this schedule is set up fairly well to do much of the same. I think all of us appreciate that we no longer play crappy D-2 schools, and I think we are all equally impatient as we wait for the first time we get a big win against high quality opposition (UMass was as close as we got last year, but would have been nice to beat Clemson). We get our shot against Colorado, the Charleston field and possibly a really good mid-major win against South Dakota State if they are having a good year. I am just happy the Tigers come to region I live for the second year in a row. 

No I’m saying other caa schools and similar in records don’t have the problems we do getting good games. 

Ideally we would play a MTE with 2 high majors and a mid. A road game against a high major (pat day). 4 home games against mids. 3 road games against mids. And a rotating local(not any of the three we routinely play)

but Bryant. Umass robert morris. SDSU (last year too). Nicholls. Aren’t bad games. 

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

but Bryant. Umass robert morris. SDSU (last year too). Nicholls. Aren’t bad games. 

They’re not bad games. But, in terms of home games, UMass, Nicholls and RMU don’t move the needle much in terms of generating any buzz and putting asses in the seats. Frankly, the Morgan home game might be the best attendance of any of the OOC games (and maybe even a lot of home conference games) in large measure because of the number of Morgan fans who will attend.

It takes two to tango, but you’re right when you point out that a number of our conference foes have managed to get home games against big name opponents. If it’s not doable, it’s not doable, but I would like to see us push all our chips into the middle of the table and get MD to SECU on a 3-1 deal (or if not MD, some other Big10, ACC, SEC school).

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

They’re not bad games. But, in terms of home games, UMass, Nicholls and RMU don’t move the needle much in terms of generating any buzz and putting asses in the seats. Frankly, the Morgan home game might be the best attendance of any of the OOC games (and maybe even a lot of home conference games) in large measure because of the number of Morgan fans who will attend.

It takes two to tango, but you’re right when you point out that a number of our conference foes have managed to get home games against big name opponents. If it’s not doable, it’s not doable, but I would like to see us push all our chips into the middle of the table and get MD to SECU on a 3-1 deal (or if not MD, some other Big10, ACC, SEC school).

I’d venture to say attendance to all games will be minimal <1000.  2 Sunday games (one being after thanksgiving) and a Friday before Christmas, which will likely be a dumb noon start.  The gripe fans should have isn’t the opponent (it doesn’t matter who we play) but when 

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I’d venture to say attendance to all games will be minimal <1000.  2 Sunday games (one being after thanksgiving) and a Friday before Christmas, which will likely be a dumb noon start.  The gripe fans should have isn’t the opponent (it doesn’t matter who we play) but when 

The 12/22 game vs Nicholls will probably be sparsely attended. Students off campus and one of the last shopping days before Christmas. It probably will be a noon start, and hard to imagine a lot more than 500 or so diehards in attendance. Sunday home games? Have we played any Sunday home games recently? 

We really just need to embrace being road dogs and getting TV games. It’s been a challenge to get any quality opponents to SECU so might as well load up as many away games against brand name teams. Was v cool seeing us play Ohio State, Clemson, New Mexico State etc Could be cool to finally get a big win on national TV against a a bigger program.