• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

All-Time transfer list

How much do transfers mean? Look at Charleston. Dalton Bolon, Ante Berzovic, Ryan Larson, and Jaylon Scott to name a few along with several key players from overseas (Reyne Smith, Babacar Faye) helped them win the 2022-23 CAA title. Just because you get transfers, doesn't mean you are going to win a title. It depends on talent, fit, character, etc. I think basketball, football, and even lacrosse, you can come up with players who were not just good, but they changed the landscape of the team and the program. In men's hoops, I'm going to list the most influential 10 transfers in the history of the program at the D1 level.

1)Kurk Lee (Western Ky). 1988-90. One of the best players in school history helped lift the team to its first ECC title and NCAA appearance in 1990.  Team was 37-23 and and 18-10 in the ECC during his tenure. Avg 25.7ppg, 5.1rpg and 2.4 apg on 46% shooting. The Tigers never had a winning record in D1 until Lee arrived. 

2)Jerrelle Benimon (Georgetown). 2012-14. Two-time CAA Player of the Year helped turn a program around that had been through 16 straight losing seasons. They were 43-24 overall and 16-8 in the CAA with him there.

3)Cam Holden (UT Martin). 2021-23. Two-time All-CAA and one-timer on the All-Defensive team helped a team improve from 4-14 to 25-9. Team went 46-21 overall and 27-9 in the CAA with him around.

4)Gary Neal (La Salle). 2005-07. Came in a little late in the 2005-06 season and averaged 26.1ppg. and 40.5% from three-point range. Even though he scored 28 points against VMI in his first game on Dec. 21, 2005, they lost that game, they went 9-12 with Neal in the lineup and they went 12-16 the following year (16-26 CAA). Not his fault necessarily. Averaged 25.6ppg, 4.1 rpg and 3.3 apg at Towson.

5)Terrence Jacobs (Old Dominion/Allegany CC). 1990-92. One of the winningest players in school history who helped Towson win two ECC titles (one NCAA appearance, ineligible for the last one) and overcome the loss of Kurk Lee in 1990-91. Tigers went 36-24 overall and 19-5 in the ECC. Averaged 19.5ppg, 6.6rpg and 2.5apg, while shooting 48.5% in 2 seasons at Towson. Powerful guard and outstanding defender who won ECC POY in 1991-92 when Devin Boyd was injured.

6)Brian Fobbs (Genessee CC). 2018-20. Averaged 16.9ppg and 5.4rpg at small forward while shooting 44.3% and 35.5% from 3. A bit underrated. Went from 10-22 in 2018-19 to 19-13 in 2019-20 and 12-6 in the CAA. Additions of Charles Thompson, Nick Timberlake and Jason Gibson helped.

7)Marty Johnson (Richmond). 1986-88. Dazzling point guard who averaged 16.2ppg, 4.6apg and 3.3 spg. Towson became a lot more competitive in D1 when Johnson arrived. They went from 8-20 overall to 14-16 for two straight seasons.

8)Arnaud William Adala Moto (Wake Forest) 2015-17. People forget how bad the team was in 2014-15 when Benimon, Mike Burwell, Rafriel Guthrie and Marcus Damas all graduated. They were 12-20 overall and 5-13. Moto comes in and they were 20-13 for two seasons season and 11-7 for two straight seasons in the CAA. Averaged 13.4ppg and 7.5 rebounds while shooting 42.4% from the field. Shot 72.5% from the line. He got there 6.5 times per game. That was his best attribute. Struggled from 3pg (27.4%).

9)Marcus Damas (Westchester CC). Damas could be higher, but he was on that 1-31 team. Not really his fault since he was a marked man every night since he was playing with a squad of mostly backups at best. Averaged 11.6 points and 5.2 rebounds while shooting 40.3% in his career and 32.3% from long range. But took better shots and got better shots after Benimon arrived. Also, an underrated defender. 

10)Bilal Dixon (Providence). 2012-13. Not going to pin the 1-31 to 18-13 turnaround on Dixon when Benimon came over. .But at 6-9, 245, he was able to allow Benimon to play power forward and gave toughness with 6.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in one season. He could have scored more but they had JB and Damas.

So looking back, in all the winning seasons over the last 44 seasons in D1 and there have only been 15, transfers have been the key to those successful seasons. 

(Chuck Lightening was a transfer from Md., but never played there).

• Like 1

Nice list.   Pull have Guthrie and Burwell there too on the last few spots. Obviously different generation but I would swap 1 and 2. 
We could also put up a hell of a list for transfer bombs. They are typically boom or busts. Recent years we have had some middle of the road role player transfers. 

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Nice list.   Pull have Guthrie and Burwell there too on the last few spots. Obviously different generation but I would swap 1 and 2. 
We could also put up a hell of a list for transfer bombs. They are typically boom or busts. Recent years we have had some middle of the road role player transfers. 

Not saying JB wasn't better than Kurk as a player, though Kurk had the longer NBA career. It's about the importance to the program. Kurk took us from low D1 losers to champions in his second season. He brought us the first winning season in D2. JB never got us over the hump though he only had one season that counted. Burwell and Guthrie were solid players and you could say they were above Damas and Dixon. I just didn't see them as huge difference-makers because they weren't great shooters or shot creators.

28 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Not saying JB wasn't better than Kurk as a player, though Kurk had the longer NBA career. It's about the importance to the program. Kurk took from low D1 losers to champions in his second season. JB never got us over the hump though he only had one season that counted. Burwell and Guthrie were solid players and you could say they were above Damas and Dixon. I just didn't seem them as huge difference-makers because they weren't great shooters or creators.

Kurk Lee uber alles. He took us to the promised land. Case closed.

Nice list. We’ve had some damn good transfers. Wouldn’t it be great if Jones and/or Watson were in this conversation in the near future 

Edited by TSU88

Off the top of my head..  no google. 
Lee was on the Nets the season before I arrived to Towson and it is crazy to think about who was on that team with him… 

Mookie Blaylock who Pearl Jam was originally called.  Sam Bowie who was taken before Jordan in the draft.  
Drazen Petrović who sadly died way too young..  he was so damn good.  
Reggie Theus who I believe started the crazy culture at New Mexico State which led to where they are now. 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Kurk Lee uber alles. He took us to the promised land. Case closed.

Nice list. We’ve had some damn good transfers. Wouldn’t it be great if Jones and/or Watson were in this conversation in the near future 

The question is do we have the next Kurk or JB on the roster to get us over the hump. It’s still a guard league and it’s why my biggest hope is that Williamson and or Cole will eventually be that guy. Realistically down the road for the young guys. We will see how well Watson fits because I know there is talent along with size and spectacular athleticism.