• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tigers thrashed at Maryland 38-6

1 hour ago, Dan Steenkamer said:

Have to say that I didn't get the chance to watch TU/Terps, so this thread is helpful in gleaning the takeaways. Just browsing the team stats for the game, 4.4 yards per rush by Towson isn't something I'm sneezing at vs. B1G. Having double-digit penalties for 90 yards isn't ideal, although adjusting for it being Week 1 takes some edge off that.

Not that the expectation per se was to walk away with the win, but late 1Q looked like the killer--7-0 until two Taulia TD passes of over 20 yds. Probably being unhelpfully obvious there, just getting a sense of the game flow scanning these #s in real time. With the observation about the lack of chances taken on offense, you figure a (or really the primary) goal was to stay in it through half 1. Deflating to be out of it 15 min prior.

Don't mean to get off-topic, but regionally appropriate and conference-related: How about Morgan State upsetting Richmond 17-10? Morgan got it done with only 99 yds passing. Richmond lost three fumbles (each by a different player) and new starting QB Kyle Wickersham had 0 TD/1 INT for the Spiders. UR was 3-12 on 3rd down. "The Ticks" have to go to Michigan State this Saturday.

Other than the Battle for Greater Baltimore, Morgan St. has CAAFB foes in UAlbany (Sep 23) and Stony Brook (Oct 7).   

Thanks for you coverage, Dan. I admire how smart you college kids are to collab with the other sports journalist interns across the league. Please post your content with Jake Shindel here if you do another interview/Twitter space. Morgan State could be a dark horse team. They played us really tough in the last battle for greater Baltimore. This time we play Morgan at their place. They will have confidence going in knowing they knocked off a top 25 CAA team. Morgan brought lots of fans to towson the past few times they have played so I would imagine now with a huge win and hype surrounding the bears we may face them in front of a sell out crowd. 

Ok, so I watched the game again on DVR. Here are a couple of more thoughts

*Too many changes in the secondary. Grad student Jabari Reddock from NW State was on the field on the Dyches touchdown up the middle. Might have been his job to slow him down in the zone or maybe Dorian Davis was supposed to close in much quickly. Hopefully, Davis is ok after getting injured midway in the fourth quarter. Not sure I'd want any starters on the field on both sides of the field down 35-6 in the fourth quarter. I don't love the safety depth right now. But they can move guys around who are corners. One guy who showed potential was S CJ McClendon from NE Oklahoma A&M. Mike Swain, a transfer from Campbell, also played in the fourth quarter and could play safety if needed.

*How does a team that wants to go uptempo get a delay of game penalty after a kickoff?

*Don't love running the sweep with Devin Matthews against any competition. He's more north-south than east-west. 

*One of the back shoulder passes, Perkins apparently supposed to turn quicker. Not sure, but he and Kent were not on the same page there or most of the game. 

*Punter Justin Ritter was rough to be kind. Nothing hurts worse when you struggle offensively and then your punter doesn’t help you with field position. 

*Seemed like the D was on the field forever in the first half. No wonder they were subbing so much in the heat.

*Don’t get why Antonio Howard was on Jeshuan Jones, arguably their best receiver, who broke the tackle for the easy TD. You’re asking a lot of these D2 transfers to cover quality B10 receivers. Not sure how that translates the rest of the way.

*Our best chance to score. 3rd and 8 at the Maryland 12 and Matthias Adjinbaruk jumps offsides. 3rd and 15 and Kent has nobody open and goes for backup TE Carter Runyon for some reason in the end zone who can’t get open. On the positive note, Keegan Vaughn showed that he’s solid from 40 and less.

*The 3-man front isn’t a favorite of mine but I like Samuel Obiang, who wears No. 16 and was pretty athletic at 6-0, 285 for a nose guard. Tylen Wallace (6-3, 300) looked good as well. I like the way Dulin used Gibbs. Sometimes on the nose. But he and Edge Makye Smith have to finish plays, Tualia is elusive, but he’s only 5-11, 200ish. You can say that about everyone because it wasn't just Lia who was avoiding sacks, but Edwards as well.

*So what the hell was with the fact that we went uptempo and the officials weren’t ready? On 3rd and 1. Then Desire gets hurt. He’s fine at right guard. But the depth is questionable there. They used Josh Roberts, a former left tackle from Lafayette and r-freshman Kevin Gaskin as well as big German Florian Staehler, who was also playing right tackle along with Jean Germain. A lot of movement in the first game. They are going to need to find a consistent five at some point.

*I feel bad for Shafeek Smith. He can’t grow (he might be 5-10). Gave up that last second TD in the first half to Prather, who is 6-4. He seemed to be in position, but didn’t turn around in time to bat the ball. Then gets called for a shaky PI on their first possession of the second half, because the ball was underthrown. 

*Second half tackling was not as good as the first half. First half wasn’t as good as I thought if you count the misses against Taulia. 

*A penalty for illegal motion as the Tigers are moving closer to getting a TD and then a give to Matthews on 3rd and 7. WTAF. 

*I thought Kent focused on DK James and did that in camp. That’s fine, but there are other receivers like Perkins who has to get on the same page with. Same with Chosen and Thompson. 
I thought some of the third down calls were iffy. Kent has some wheels. I know RPO is not part of what they want to do because they don’t use fullbacks. But right now, this looks more like a running team. They just don’t have all the tools on offense to chuck it 70% of the time. 

The more I think about it, I think the strategy on offense in this game was to be vanilla as possible, with the thinking being that we had no chance to win and that it was better to lose by 30 than by 50-60. Kind of a loser’s mentality, but if we somehow unveil an entertaining/innovative offense this week vs Monmouth (I’m skeptical that’ll happen, but hope springs eternal) than I will be convinced that we played to avoid a blowout vs MD & let the air out of the ball, rather than  waste plays that likely wouldn’t have worked vs MD, but might work vs inferior competition 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, mat1992 said:

Yeah, that Morgan/Richmond score is shocking. 

I watched the 4th quarter, and Morgan's defense was ferocious. Maybe Richmond is bad this year, but Morgan definitely looks much better than in the past. Big hitters on D, and some speed demons on O. I had penciled in our game with them as a win, but we'll need a much better performance than usual to pull that off.

42 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:I had penciled in our game with them as a win, but we'll need a much better performance than usual to pull that off.

What was once a candy ass cream puff scheduling of a win is now a legitimate backyard brawl. I know they are tired of the “big brother” school always winning. Especially after towson tried to copy a Morgan state doctorate program there is even more bad blood between the schools this year. Biggest battle for greater Baltimore of all time. Gonna be a sellout, electric crowd

15 minutes ago, Blounge said:

What was once a candy ass cream puff scheduling of a win is now a legitimate backyard brawl. I know they are tired of the “big brother” school always winning. Especially after towson tried to copy a Morgan state doctorate program there is even more bad blood between the schools this year. Biggest battle for greater Baltimore of all time. Gonna be a sellout, electric crowd

Not sure there’s ever a cream puff on our schedule when we are Towson. Our losses to lesser programs over the year is noted and embarrassing. Hopefully with a new coach that changes 

59 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I watched the 4th quarter, and Morgan's defense was ferocious. Maybe Richmond is bad this year, but Morgan definitely looks much better than in the past. Big hitters on D, and some speed demons on O. I had penciled in our game with them as a win, but we'll need a much better performance than usual to pull that off.

Richmond like the caa has been meh for years.  Multiple turnovers and missed field goals will lose games for you.  Morgan offense had 5 of their 60 plays account for 60% of their offense…wouldn’t surprise me if we lost.  Would be disappointing. 

need to look how to slow down shirden this week

I do hope Steve Eigenbrat taps Maryland Public Television again for the Morgan game

also hope barleys backyard uptown wants to do some drink specials before the towson/Morgan backyard brawl