• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Football struggles in 21-14 loss to Norfolk State

Yes, a new low. A few things. The O-line changes were due to the fact that C Ralph Paige and RT Jean Germain were injured. Clearly, with or without those guys, the line isn't getting it done in the run game, but I thought the pass pro was pretty good. Kent held the ball too long in several of those sacks and the one holding penalty on Volpe. I also thought he had a couple of interesting comments at the presser. I'll get to in a few minutes, but he kept saying we have little margin for error. I think that means the personnel is not there and if I'm him, even if next season is ugly, it's time add dozens of players that fits his style, not Rob's. That's why it was so hard to believe that they are playing most of his players. But I can see that most of the guys they added were late additions and basically for depth. Should he have gotten better transfer? Of course, but I think they gave a lot of these kids an opportunity to play for them. Now, it should be blatantly obvious who to keep and for those who are not graduating, time to bid adieu. 

The disgusting part was that third quarter when they ran through, over and past us like we couldn't tackle in the rain. Do you know how could tackle in the rain? Norfolk State. But the penalties have very little to do with talent. 12 men on the field on a punt block. Running into the kicker to give them first down. They rank two trick plays to perfect and Pete said he knew they were run those types of plays. And we ran...up the middle.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/9/23/towson-football-drops-rain-soaked-game-against-norfolk-state.aspx

NSU with 5 guys over 40 yards rushing. That’s 1970’s Oklahoma wishbone stuff. And NSU came in today giving up 7 yards per rush on D. We avg’d 4.5. Meh. And our “Air Coryell” passing game was typical-a little over 50% completion %; 200 yards; 0 TD’s and 1 INT. 

Edited by TSU88

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

NSU with 5 guys over 40 yards rushing. That’s 1970’s Oklahoma wishbone stuff. And NSU came in today giving up 7 yards per rush on D. What did we avg today?

We averaged 4.5 ypc. 

Is it time for basketball? Lol sheesh season is over. William & Mary is gonna kick our ass. Delaware is gonna come here and dance on our grave. We are gonna poop our pants in New Hampshire. Albany is in a rock fight with Morgan state so maybe we have a chance in that one? NC A&T is gonna greek stroll and step all over us. It’s their homecoming party and they are gonna have a sell out crowd laughing at our ineptitude. Villanova and Rhode Island are gonna beat us and lose all respect they once had for us as a program. 

im so glad i didn’t pay for FloSports to watch that bull shit excuse for a D1 football team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Is it time for basketball? Lol sheesh season is over. William & Mary is gonna kick our ass. Delaware is gonna come here and dance on our grave. We are gonna poop our pants in New Hampshire. Albany is in a rock fight with Morgan state so maybe we have a chance in that one? NC A&T is gonna greek stroll and step all over us. It’s their homecoming party and they are gonna have a sell out crowd laughing at our ineptitude. Villanova and Rhode Island are gonna beat us and lose all respect they once had for us as a program. 

im so glad i didn’t pay for FloSports to watch that bull shit excuse for a D1 football team.

NCAT is 0-3 and has been outscored 92-25. We might have a chance against them & Albany, as you said. So our ceiling appears to be 3-8. And yes, we are probably facing some serious beatdowns 

Edited by TSU88

Opening comment from Coach Pete

"Proud of how our guys continued to play and push through. Make a run there at the end. Made too many mistakes along the way. We get a blocked punt and then we had two guys on the field with the same number. That's unacceptable. That can't happen. We had some opportunities to change the course of the game and we don't. We knew they'd run some gadget and trick plays and well-timed reverse late to give them a big third-down conversion. We were inconsistent offensively throughout the course of the game. We did some nice things and some things we can build on. We just have to play more consistently. We'd get going and then get a penalty. Even on the last drive, we get a holding deep in their territory. We had a chance. We have to learn that our mistakes hurt. Our margin for error isn't that great. We have to not make it greater by putting ourselves in negative situations throughout the course of the game. We did everything I felt I wanted to do. We got back in the game. Missed some opportunities in the first half. Took the wind in the second half and then we give up the QB long run. Way too much. We have to clean up things."

On penalties. Is he concerned?

"Extremely. Some of them are guys just flying around. We stood over a guy after we made a great play. Completely unacceptable. Those are things that are extremely frustrating. We talk about them all the time. We go through practice and guys get disciplined for anything like that. We get in a situation where we had 15 yards and take away 15 yards of field position. It's just poor. Comes back to haunt you. This game comes down to turnovers and field position. We need to be better at both and we weren't."

On running game and defending the run

"Part of the run game is when you have this type of weather, your RPO stuff isn't as dynamic. They can put you in the box a little bit and you have to throw perfect balls. We had three balls, if they were thrown a little better deep down the field, we had a chance. You have wind and rain. Those are the tough ones. They did a good job of dictating our box. You have the extra guy in the box and you are not throwing the RPO, you have one guy short in the run game. Tyrell's fumble was extremely bad timing. I thought we could have gotten ahead and forced them to throw the ball. They wanted to run and not throw. Take away the reverse and one pop in the third quarter, we regulated it decently."

On offensive line

"We started a true freshman at right tackle, because our starter was banged up this week. We started a new center because he was out. That was not by choice, but by injury. I thought our guys did well enough. Had a few high snaps early on. They held their own through the process. They knew what they were getting into."

On weather in first half and second half

"I thought we left too many things out there in the second quarter. We left a ton out there. One of those was the fumble late in the first quarter. We missed on a third down. We got sacked on a throw-away situation. It's a quick look and if you don't like it, take off. We're at a place where if we're not doing everything the way we're supposed to, we're going to make it very difficult on ourselves. We have a hurting locker room right now. We have a lot of guys that are sick and they should feel that way. That is a feeling that needs to motivate them and a feeling that they use to get better. Our margin of error is very small. When we play the way we are capable of, good things take place."

So what’s the issue here then? If these are most of Rob’s leftovers so to speak, why are we playing so poorly when the team was somewhat competitive end of last year? Is it just the coach where they’re not adjusting to his style and new schemes or what? Still too early to give up since the man first year

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

NCAT is 0-3 and has been outscored 92-25. We might have a chance against them & Albany, as you said. So our ceiling appears to be 3-8. And yes, we are probably facing some serious beatdowns 

Albany has a good qb and likely an angry short o coordinator coming to town. 
We just got boatraced by a team that lost to a d2 3 weeks ago and has 1 win against non hbcu’s in the last 2 years.   may lucky into 1 more.

This program is an EMBARRASSMENT

10 minutes ago, tualum said:

So what’s the issue here then? If these are most of Rob’s leftovers so to speak, why are we playing so poorly when the team was somewhat competitive end of last year? Is it just the coach where they’re not adjusting to his style and new schemes or what? Still too early to give up since the man first year

they weren’t good last year, new coach, new style so there’s that. They shouldn’t be getting struggling the way they have the last 3 games. 
It is early but that leaks into next year and there’s always excuses when it comes to Towson athletics.  Man up. How can these new teams have more success than us? How does duqeuesne, Norfolk state, Dartmouth, central Connecticut whoop us?  Delaware unh wm sure, they have history and a good fan base.  Elon, uri. Have passed us by

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Albany has a good qb and likely an angry short o coordinator coming to town. 

Omg i forgot about our old coach! He was so vanilla on offense i forgot we had him calling plays. Nerdy kid brother to the pompous ass big dick Rob. I wonder if Rob roots for the Great Danes in this one? I bet he will get so drunk in the parking lot before hand before having to face everybody

45 minutes ago, tualum said:

New QB. New system. Rob lost five in a row before he won four in a row. He barely beat a bad Bucknell team by one. He did have Piggy and a Pro-I, running the power more and RPO stuff. He knew what he had and while it wasn't much, they could hang with some teams. This team has no identity and again, it starts at QB. He's not a super-talented kid so he can't continue making the same mistakes. But even if he does, it appears they have no confidence in their backups. My worry is more about the penalties and lack of discipline.