• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

My phone conversation with Charles Thompson

So, I’m driving yesterday when I get a phone call. I recognized the prefix (704) as being associated with TU, so I decide to answer. And who’s on the other end of the line but Charles Thompson, calling to thank me for being a season ticket holder, as part of a campaign where players are calling season ticket holders.

We had a brief conversation and I must say he was extremely articulate and personable, and I came away thinking what an excellent ambassador he is not just for the team, but the university as well. I have no doubt he will be a success in whatever endeavors he pursues once he leaves TU

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

So, I’m driving yesterday when I get a phone call. I recognized the prefix (704) as being associated with TU, so I decide to answer. And who’s on the other end of the line but Charles Thompson, calling to thank me for being a season ticket holder, as part of a campaign where players are calling season ticket holders.

We had a brief conversation and I must say he was extremely articulate and personable, and I came away thinking what an excellent ambassador he is not just for the team, but the university as well. I have no doubt he will be a success in whatever endeavors he pursues once he leaves TU

That’s always a nice thing. As are the handwritten letters sent. Just wish the ticket Office didn’t take forever to send tickets. 

On 10/26/2023 at 1:45 PM, TSU88 said:

Nice to see Towson doing a cool outreach like this.  It's something that has been done for awhile around the college and professional sports. 

Not sure why you had to mention that CT was "extremely articulate and personable".  As if it was a total shock.  Would you expect a college student not to be able to speak and be kind on the phone?  

Why was it such a surprise?

9 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

Nice to see Towson doing a cool outreach like this.  It's something that has been done for awhile around the college and professional sports. 

Not sure why you had to mention that CT was "extremely articulate and personable".  As if it was a total shock.  Would you expect a college student not to be able to speak and be kind on the phone?  

Why was it such a surprise?

I’m surprised you would even ask such a question, like all college students are per se articulate and personable. Do you teach college students, because I do. And I will tell you that some of them do not project as articulate and personable, perhaps owing to their being absorbed in their iPhones and social media. I meant my posting as a compliment to the young man I spoke to, and am baffled how anyone could deflect it the way you did 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

I’m surprised you would even ask such a question, like all college students are per se articulate and personable. Do you teach college students, because I do. And I will tell you that some of them do not project as articulate and personable, perhaps owing to their being absorbed in their iPhones and social media. I meant my posting as a compliment to the young man I spoke to, and am baffled how anyone could deflect it the way you did 

I never said it wasn't a compliment and no I do not teach college students but I live with one and I am around his friends.  Teaching college students does not qualify you nor disqualify me for commenting on your statement.  Why would Towson put someone on the phone that would represent them in a negative way? If a player was not "articulate and personable" do you think the athletic department would hand them a phone and ask them to dial a person Towson has business with?  The definition of articulate is the ability to speak.  "an excellent ambassador" is all you needed to say.    

I do not know you personally but I would guess that if Christian May was on the other line I doubt that you would use the word articulate to describe him and your conversation.  If I am wrong so be it.  Before anyone goes down "woke" society road, as a black man I have felt this way, way before "woke" has been used the way it is now.  Trust me I am not calling anyone racist but certain terms are always used for some and not others, so that was the reason why "anyone (in this case me) could deflect it the way you (I) did."

2 minutes ago, Blazer49 said:

I never said it wasn't a compliment and no I do not teach college students but I live with one and I am around his friends.  Teaching college students does not qualify you nor disqualify me for commenting on your statement.  Why would Towson put someone on the phone that would represent them in a negative way? If a player was not "articulate and personable" do you think the athletic department would hand them a phone and ask them to dial a person Towson has business with?  The definition of articulate is the ability to speak.  "an excellent ambassador" is all you needed to say.    

I do not know you personally but I would guess that if Christian May was on the other line I doubt that you would use the word articulate to describe him and your conversation.  If I am wrong so be it.  Before anyone goes down "woke" society road, as a black man I have felt this way, way before "woke" has been used the way it is now.  Trust me I am not calling anyone racist but certain terms are always used for some and not others, so that was the reason why "anyone (in this case me) could deflect it the way you (I) did."

I regret you are perpetually offended. I am offended by your insinuation. Actually, it’s not an insinuation, you’ve out & out labeled me. You don’t know me or anything about me. Frankly, your comments border on being libelous. 

24 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I regret you are perpetually offended. I am offended by your insinuation. Actually, it’s not an insinuation, you’ve out & out labeled me. You don’t know me or anything about me. Frankly, your comments border on being libelous

I think I mentioned that "I don't know you personally" and I apologize for said insinuation.  Maybe I should not have included your comment in all the other times I have heard someone labeled as articulate, but from my perspective I have seen and heard that word used in someone complimenting someone of color far more than someone who is not.