• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds on to beat Morgan State 67-58

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=487953

https://towsontigers.com/news/2023/11/26/mens-basketball-tejada-leads-four-in-double-figures-in-67-58-win-against-morgan-state.aspx

Not pretty, but a win is a win and I hate that cliche'. The quotes are more interesting than the game. Let's start with this about Nendah Tarke.

Chase Paar

We were talking about it all week. Me playing a little bit of at the 4 (power forward). Whatever the coaches need me to do. Just did everything I needed to do to help out."

Tejada on the clash in the first half

"It's basketball. Got a little heated. Got a little physical. I was sticking up for my teammate (Lowery) like anybody else would."

Chase on size advantage

"Coach preaches physicality,beating them on the glass We had the size advantage with me and Charles in at the 4 and 5. We took advantage of that."

Paar on injuries

"We're always on the next man up mentality. Great player with Rad (Hicks) going down. Everybody has to step up and I think we did a great job with that. Every shot going up and we have 4-5 guys crashing every time."

A very skerry game. Defense and rebounding and beating an inferior opponent.   About what was expected.    our wins are against 0-7, 1-5 and 0-6. Good news is the caa also sucks this year 

Wouldn’t be surprised if hicks and tarke don’t play again this year. 

• Thanks 1

Skerry opening comments

"Nothing easy right now for us. Credit Morgan. We couldn't shake them. We rebounded the ball well. For the most part, we did a good job defensively and got scattered late. One thing we are still learning is that if we don't finish at the rim, you put your transition defense in jeopardy. We had some plays where we didn't score at the rim and they made us pay in transition. A lot of guys did a good job. We're playing undermanned. Guys are playing different positions than probably what they thought. We have to get through it until we get some pieces back."

On Dylan's play

"He has to play better. We had two really good practices on Friday and Saturday. We didn't attack the ball screen. I thought he played around with the ball too much. In Rahdir's absence, he has to be more decisive. He's a good passer. He made a couple of tough shots. It's a hard position to play. A couple of inopportune turnovers. He's getting there. Just his seventh game."

On Makai Lowery

"He's doing a good job. He was playing center last year in Chicago. Now, he's playing point guard against Wake Forest and North Texas. He's going to be a good player. He's like Bambi on ice out there. He's active and a tough kid."

On absences in the backcourt

"Really proud of Chase Paar. He was the difference in this game. Aggressively attacked the rim. Our staff talked about playing him and Charlie together. It's a little harder to do against smaller teams. Chase has been through a lot in the last couple of years, he's playing with a tear in his knee. He hasn't missed practices. Happy to see him have success."

"Ultimately, with this group, our ability to finish within the eight-foot area. I feel like I just ran a triathalon. I want to put my head through (the table). We're so much better than we're showing around the rim. When we lost to Wake Forest and had a 19-rebound advantage, we had so many shots at the rim. It's not like we're not playing hard. We're capable of playing better. We're not winning without Charlie. He has to play better and score the ball the way he's capable of scoring the ball. Other guys will follow suit."

"When you're compressed down on the rim and there are a lot of bodies and you smoke a layup, we're in harm's way in transition. We have three guys within eight feet. We have to get better at that."

On May

"He showed a lot of courage (making the 2 straight threes). He's rebounding and guarding well. I do believe he's going to make shots. Him and Tejada will play a lot we're going to lean on them. I'll tell him all the time, do you know what your confidence is? It's your minutes. You get minutes, there's your confidence. You play 30+ minutes, you're getting shots. Just play. Like that's he rebounding and playing defense. If he does those things, eventually the ball will go in the basket.  We had Fobbs a couple of years ago, who missed his first 18 threes to start the season. Eventually, you catch a rhythm."

On CT

"He has to play as the most valuable guy that he is. I want to see him put people in the rim all the time."

Kudos to Williamson. He’s literally our only guard right now, as inconceivable as that sounds. As “meh” as Hicks is, we sure need him back. If he’s out long term & we don’t get Tarke, well, be prepared for an extraordinary long, cold season.  Assistant Coach Bitee said before the game he thinks Cole is still 2 weeks away from playing, in his personal opinion. If the young man isn’t ready to go by the beginning of conference play, they should just redshirt him and be done with it.

Paar with the (first) half of his life. Lowery is a work in progress, but you can see glimpses of his talent; thought he did a decent job as backup point guard. 

Nice to see May drain back-to-back 3’s, but we need a lot more from him than 6 point games. 

CT plays so hard; nonstop motor, but he misses so many shots close to the rim. I guess you just take the good with the bad and say it is what it is.

Thoroughly unimpressed with Jones. I’m hard pressed to identify a single facet of the game he excels at. 

Tejada might wind up being our leading scorer when all is said and done. Talk about bizarro world-a freshman in the Skerry era as the leading scorer. 

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Kudos to Williamson. He’s literally our only guard right now, as inconceivable as that sounds. As “meh” as Hicks is, we sure need him back. If he’s out long term & we don’t get Tarke, well, be prepared for an extraordinary long, cold season.  Assistant Coach Bitee said before the game he thinks Cole is still 2 weeks away from playing, in his personal opinion. If the young man isn’t ready to go by the beginning of conference play, they should just redshirt him and be done with it.

Paar with the (first) half of his life. Lowery is a work in progress, but you can see glimpses of his talent; thought he did a decent job as backup point guard. 

Nice to see May drain back-to-back 3’s, but we need a lot more from him than 6 point games. 

CT plays so hard; nonstop motor, but he misses so many shots close to the rim. I guess you just take the good with the bad and say it is what it is.

Thoroughly unimpressed with Jones. I’m hard pressed to identify a single facet of the game he excels at. 

Tejada might wind up being our leading scorer when all is said and done. Talk about bizarro world-a freshman in the Skerry era as the leading scorer. 

Who besides us redshirts anymore? If he can play whenever and help. Let him play. Charles is the leader but not the only one who can’t make bunnies.  We have never made them so. 
Jones just doesn’t play and gets called for fouls.  Much rather him than Coleman. 

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Who besides us redshirts anymore? If he can play whenever and help. Let him play. Charles is the leader but not the only one who can’t make bunnies.  We have never made them so. 
Jones just doesn’t play and gets called for fouls.  Much rather him than Coleman. 

My point is that, for whatever reason, Cole may never be physically able to play this season. If that’s the case, what other option is there other than to redshirt him? Much rather Jones than Coleman? Well, duh. Again, you miss the point. The question isn’t whether Jones is better than Coleman, as Coleman isn’t a D1 player. The question is how has Jones gone from being modestly productive at Wofford, to being a stiff so far here? 

23 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

My point is that, for whatever reason, Cole may never be physically able to play this season. If that’s the case, what other option is there other than to redshirt him? Much rather Jones than Coleman? Well, duh. Again, you miss the point. The question isn’t whether Jones is better than Coleman, as Coleman isn’t a D1 player. The question is how has Jones gone from being modestly productive at Wofford, to being a stiff so far here? 

Minutes is one.  Can’t guard smaller players. And bigger players are too big.  Looks timid. Bur when you don’t play it’s hard to be productive 

I loved seeing the chase parr/Charlie Thompson combo package. Put both those big bodies in and Morgan had no idea how to respond. Happy to see prime time parr have a breakout performance. CT is our draymond, emotional leader, heart and soul of the team, but don’t rely on him to make shots. Gotta be impressed with the way Dylan and Tejada battle as freshman. They need to grow up fast and play like seniors not freshman if we are gonna be good! The NCAA is not doing us any favors with the Tarke fiasco, complete malarkey! I was shocked when Mekai lowery swatted a shot then proceed to get swatted in the face by a Morgan state bear! Good for tejada for being a fearless freshman and getting in the bear’s face! I like that we have a chippy identity. The conference tourney game with college of Charleston almost resulted in a bench clearing brawl 30 seconds into the game. Let’s play into being the villain! Towson tough, york road bullies, bad boys of Burke avenue 

• Haha 1