• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls at Monmouth 51-43

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=485916

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/1/4/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-falls-51-43-at-monmouth-on-thursday.aspx

Towson shot 16 of 60 for a 27% mark. This was reminiscent of the early days of the CAA when the Tigers were getting dunked on by teams like VCU, GMU and ODU. But this was Monmouth, an improved team, but one that if Towson shoots 35% and hits a few threes, wins the game. It was a game that set back basketball about 70 years.

I can look at the offensive numbers and there's really nobody who played well. Defense wasn't awful. Here are PS' comments after the game on TT.com.

Was asked about whether it was good defense or bad offense:
"Probably both (poor offense and good defense). We didn't rebound it well enough. We didn't get to the foul line. Lot of shots blocked. Played really bad on offense. We took a lot of threes. We really guarded. Disappointing. Don't want to discredit Monmouth."

"We had a little rhythm late. Probably should have subbed. We looked a little tired. I didn't sub because our bench wasn't good tonight. Capable of playing better on offense an we didn't. It's incumbent on me and our staff. We have to figure it out

"The foul on Tejada on the three for a four point play and then the Tarke foul, those are pivotal. Have to watch the tape. Those were huge plays. We have to get a couple of guys in these type of games to play better than what we showed. Honestly, this is the first time we weren't getting production from our bench. Tough one. Had a really good week of practice. The lesson is that there are going to be a lot of these. Layups, shots around the rim. Two things that jumps out are live ball turnovers and the last five games,we made good strides finishing around the rim and tonight we took a big step backwards"

"Guys are attacking. We didn't do a good job of finishing on two feet and using our (fundamentals and teaching principles)."

I thought we turned the page after South Dakota State. I didn't call a good game from the sideline because our offense didn't reflect that."

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Have to watch the tape. 

How about burning it?

• Like 1

Look, this was brutal tonight and while I'm not shocked we lost, it's incredibly disappointing that we took about 50 steps backwards on offense, especially May, after showing some signs of life in the last four games not counting Arcadia. I think the offense needs to be looked at and the fact that we're relying on Charles so much is killing the flow of the offense. Going in the paint and on the high post. He's a decent passer, but he's not Cam Holden or Nikola Jokic. He's a hard-working guy who has made himself into a undersized center or has been good on the boards and on D. Had three turnovers tonight but felt like more. Too much ballhandling.

May has to get the ball. He can't just stand in the corner like last season. We were trying way too much two-man with Dylan and CT and May just stands around. He needs to move around screens and move without the ball. I thought he took two bad rushed threes tonight because he knew he might not get the ball back. He's also one of many on this team who don't finish with contact or without.

May (4 for 14) has to be the guy because:
Tarke 1 for 8 and 1 for 4 from 3. He does not look like the game guy as last season an while some of it might be conditioning, it's also the fact that Coppin pressed some and they played a more wide open style.

DWill 3 for 13 (1 for 8 3pt). Four assists and two turnovers. I thought he played his worst game since Houston, but that made sense. This didn't. He's just struggled and he can't get to the basket as easily as I thought he could. Unless we push the ball and we are obviously not going to do that a lot (we did some tonight, but didn't rebound enough).

The biggest shocker is that went into this game at 11th in the nation rebounding margin and got outrebounded by 3. That's about effort from the 4 spot. Messiah Jones had just one rebound. One.

6 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Dr. James Naismith is turning over in his grave after tonight’s embarrassment 

James would be our leading scorer, even though he’s been dead for a century. Speaking of century is that the last time we’ve made it to the tourney?  PATHETIC, EMBARRASSING.   if we want to be a semi real D1 program changes are needed after this season 

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

How about burning it?

Fire Pat!

We can’t be as bad as we looked tonight, can we? I know there’s some crap teams at the bottom of the conference, but maybe we’re 1 of them. Can we win a conference road game? I guess 2-3 road wins is our ceiling, and that might be wildly optimistic.

How does a D1 team shoot 16-60? I mean really? I thought the embarrassing loss to Bryant was the low point, but I gotta hand it to Skerry-he outdid himself tonight 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

We can’t be as bad as we looked tonight, can we? I know there’s some crap teams at the bottom of the conference, but maybe we’re 1 of them. Can we win a conference road game? I guess 2-3 road wins is our ceiling, and that might be wildly optimistic.

How does a D1 team shoot 16-60? I mean really? I thought the embarrassing loss to Bryant was the low point, but I gotta hand it to Skerry-he outdid himself tonight 

W&M and Hampton in mid-February on the road. Hopefully we split and our freshmen are better. At some point, they have to get better so they can play more. 

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Tonight was close to rock bottom. Obviously end of Kennedy early skerry was but we are approaching that. Lame Duck coach walking around. 2-3 road wins?! Lol 

If only we played a decent OOC schedule to prepare us. Instead we played 4 of the worst 8 teams in college hoops and still finished 6-6