• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tejada leads MBB to a 67-64 win over UNCW

So, since UNCW beat Kentucky, does this mean we’re better than UK?🤔😆

Realistically, I think most would have been satisfied with a 1-1 split to start conference play. Of course, I don’t think many would have predicted the W would be over UNCW. Their guy White was a scoring machine today, but I found his continual exaggerated body flailing on offense, anytime one of our guys breathed on him, really annoying and worthy of a call against him for flopping. 

After the uber depressing Monmouth game, this was a pleasant surprise. (And no, it doesn’t mean he should get another extension. He should have never gotten the last one).

This was the kind of game we need from CT. Tarke too. Obvious kudos to Tejada, who, after a miserable game vs Monmouth, drained 3 3 balls today, including the game winner. I also liked how Williamson was able to break their D down on a couple of occasions, and drive for baskets. How refreshing was it to actually win a game at the buzzer, rather than throwing up a ridiculous shot, or not getting a shot off at all. 

Now, OTOH, why can’t May shoot foul shots anymore? He literally almost shot an air ball today. Also, Jones needs to be taken out of the rotation. I’m sorry but he’s inept at every facet of the game. He’s so bad, I’d rather see Coleman play over him. 

So let's go with the Good, Bad and Ugly thing again because last game was just pure ugly.

*Dylan Williamson made that play at the end. It was a fantastic pass when he could have taken a tough shot. Great poise by Tejada to put the ball in there and he wound up making 3 treys. That was the difference in the game going 8-of-18 from beyond the arc. 

*Committing 11 turnovers is not great, but against a pressing team, it's a step in the right direction. 

*Charles is starting to resemble his old self. I asked him about the slow start and he gets into it in the video, assuming they did not edit the comments out. He did mention that his role was different this season (PGCT) but that he has to play better.

*Tejada has struggled since coming off the bench. At the end of the games, he has to be in, but if you can use him and Lowery in an offense/defense role late in games, that's fine.

*Tarke played his best game by far today. Went 5-of-8 from the field, 4-of-4 from the line and had five rebounds. Finished his drives well with his right hand (he's lefty). Shot 2 of 4 3-point range and that should be the max amount of threes he takes unless he's red-hot. His defense late in that game on T. White was excellent.

*The offense was so bad in that game that you couldn't tell that we defended pretty well (1-of-15 3pt) against Monmouth. The defense wasn't great today on White, but the three-point defense (4-of-17) helped them win the game. Three point defense + making 50% of threes is a winning formula. Not realistic for every game which is why they have to find other ways to score.

Bad

*White was phenomenal today. One of the best performances I've seen from an opponent at SECU/TU Arena. He made a couple where Sulaiman was right there and he just shot over him. He also could have fouled out on that inadvertent whistle where Lowery dove on the floor and White appeared to grab him. Yet, the jump ball went to UNCW with about 5:00 left. Thought the basketball gods were against us at that point.

*Rebounding (29-25 +4) was not good. This is a small team with basically four guards and a smallish big. UNCW seems to struggle against big teams, look at Drexel and now us. But, other than White, the other concern was that we didn't dominate the glass. Sulaiman is 6-6, 240 and needs to grab more than two rebounds in 22 minutes. 

Ugly

*Defending one of the best and most athletic players in the league with M. Jones was not a great move. Lowery, Tarke and even Sulaiman did solid jobs on him. Sulaiman was just not long enough or quick enough to get close to him so he had to give him a little space. 

*May's FT shooting. He missed two FT shots again late in the second half and they weren't close. If Tarke can make all four today, May needs to get better than 52.6% from the line. He also needs a floater or a runner where he gets too deep on drives and can't finish. 

For Towson to have any success this season, it's about CT, May, Williamson and Tarke. What Tejada and Lowery do is almost window dressing. If Tejada gains the trust of Skerry, maybe he can start playing more power forward instead of Sulajones.

Playing at home is much different than on the road. Gonna have to steal 1-2 road games to finish .500 in league play. A team full of role players, playing well at home isn’t surprising. 
Great drive and find by tarke after his defender fell down and even better shot by Tejada. 
White was an animal and our defense on him wasn’t awful but not great either. Phillips hurt helped us. So did the fact they’ve been on the road forever. 

Shorten the rotation a bit which helps. Can’t finish down low still and 4 spot is a major concern. 

nice bounce back from Charles. Just wish we didn’t give one away on Thursday.  

think we will be a solid home team And a very poor road team (0-7 and counting)

44 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

So, since UNCW beat Kentucky, does this mean we’re better than UK?🤔😆

Realistically, I think most would have been satisfied with a 1-1 split to start conference play. Of course, I don’t think many would have predicted the W would be over UNCW. Their guy White was a scoring machine today, but I found his continual exaggerated body flailing on offense, anytime one of our guys breathed on him, really annoying and worthy of a call against him for flopping. 

After the uber depressing Monmouth game, this was a pleasant surprise. (And no, it doesn’t mean he should get another extension. He should have never gotten the last one).

This was the kind of game we need from CT. Tarke too. Obvious kudos to Tejada, who, after a miserable game vs Monmouth, drained 3 3 balls today, including the game winner. I also liked how Williamson was able to break their D down on a couple of occasions, and drive for baskets. How refreshing was it to actually win a game at the buzzer, rather than throwing up a ridiculous shot, or not getting a shot off at all. 

Now, OTOH, why can’t May shoot foul shots anymore? He literally almost shot an air ball today. Also, Jones needs to be taken out of the rotation. I’m sorry but he’s inept at every facet of the game. He’s so bad, I’d rather see Coleman play over him. 

Florida pissed that game away today.  Kentucky young and dumb but of course they are so athletic. 

Tarke sitting a lot of games and today he showed us the kind of player he truly is.  

After Thursday when we were all ready to jump off we truly needed this win today against a legit CAA opponent.  

Only wish I were there to enjoy it in person and that cold weather..  walk over to L & N Seafood (that was the spot back in the early 90’s) for some clam chowder…. hit CVP later.  So many fond memories of Towson and wintertime.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger