• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Tejada, Tarke lead MBB to overtime win over Stony Brook 73-64

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/1/11/mens-basketball-four-hit-double-figures-in-73-64-overtime-win-against-stony-brook.aspx

Ugly second half and end of regulation (longest second half ever with 30 minute delay due to shotclock issues). But once again, it was Tyler Tejada with the big 3 in overtime and then Nenda Tarke, the 54% FT shooter of last season, who made all six of his free throws to lead the Tigers to a win that they should have had in regulation. That's now 15 straight at home. Tough one at Northeastern on Saturday at 12pm with no rest.

• Like 1

Not pretty, but mission accomplished, in terms of holding serve at home. I mean, 2-1 after 3 conference games is not bad. DWill was the go-to guy in the 1st half, then more so Tejada, Tarke and CT there after. CT again with the type of game we need from him-12 points, I think 8 boards and 4 assists. I really like Tarke’s game. I also noticed he played some PG tonight, & I thought quite effectively. So, at least we do have 2 PG’s, since I assume Hicks isn’t coming back. This probably means less minutes for Lowery. I like Lowery’s D, but let’s face it, his offensive game is a work in progress. 

What can you say about Tejada? The kid’s a scorer and seems to possess that quality we’ve yearned for for years-the ability to hit a big shot in the clutch. 

I didn’t like the end of regulation, especially the terrible shot DWill took at the buzzer. But at least we didn’t yak in OT. 

Ok, on to Boston. Not optimistic about that game, on short turnaround time, but hopefully we can eke out another rock fight. 

Yeah, I liked that DW got into the lane again but as soon as his initial look wasn't there, he had Tarke on the wing and Tejada in the corner again (though the defender had Tejada shaded pretty well -- someone watched the tape from Saturday) so a kickout might have been better.  But at least he had a look from inside.  What I didn't like was the play that tied the game in regulation.  CT should be miles from that play and just let the ballhandlers take care of it.  I'm still flummoxed by our insistence in having CT be a handler against pressure D.  

15 straight at home, a SECU record.  7 more to tie the school record set in 1993-95.

Let's go with good, bad and ugly. Let me start with ugly.

Ugly: 30-minute delay for a shot clock issue. That is unacceptable. First delay of the year is when Cole Paar broke the basket in warm ups. That took about 1/2 that long to change baskets and start the game about 15 minutes late. If there are equipment issues it's on the athletic department along with facilities to get this fixed. Shit happens sometimes, but you have to be prepared for it. And I didn't even mention the roof leaking in the women's game against UMES that has been re-scheduled. That money received from the next bank that sponsors TU Arena should go towards some renovations and fixes over the summer. New shot clocks, baskets, roofing, etc. PS did apologize in the press conference for that 30-minute delay, but I'm guessing that even his harshest critics can't' blame him for the issues with the building. 

Bad: The last 45 seconds of regulation. Why is Charles Thompson handing the ball against pressure late in the game? Where is Williamson? I knew he was guarded tightly by Clarke. Almost too tightly. 

The last play at the end of regulation. .Everything was right until the shot. Williamson had 6-10 Chris Maidoh on him and you either drive past him or drive to set up somebody. Ends up taking a tough fadeaway that missed.

May's offense. He played 41 minutes and you'd like to see him score more than 8 points. He didn't even get to the line, which can be a bad thing, but also had four turnovers. Dropped one great pass down low. 

Good:

May's defense on Tyler Stephenson-Moore was exceptional. He held him to just nine points on 3-of-12 shooting (1-4 3pt). Stephenon-Moore is one of the best pure scorers in the conference.

Big-shot Tyler Tejada did it again. Hits the big three in overtime and Stony Brook never recovered. Had 16 points on 5-of-10 shooting. Just one rebound but I like that they are playing him more at the 4. With Sulaiman and Jones struggling, he's going to need to play probably at least 10 minutes there.

Charles Thompson is playing better. He's not back. That jump hook is still not pure yet, but he had 12 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 blocks. That's all you can expect every night. Now he faces old foe Chris Dougherty for the 50th time on Saturday.

Some zone struggles that I'm sure Towson will see plenty of in the CAA. Towson shot 52% from the field in the first half, but around 35% in the second half. Some missed bunnies but mostly missed jumpers. 

Nendah Tarke's defense and FT shooting. Tarke didn't shoot well tonight (3-7 FG, 1-4 3pt), but he had 13 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists. He ran the point a lot because of defense and Williamson's second half struggles. But his FT shooting was huge in the overtime. CT and May were in the press room and they both mentioned how much they've been practicing FTs. You can see Tarke has and it's paying off. Would like to see him drive a little more but it still seems like he's in the feeling-out process on offense.

11 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Not pretty, but mission accomplished, in terms of holding serve at home. I mean, 2-1 after 3 conference games is not bad. DWill was the go-to guy in the 1st half, then more so Tejada, Tarke and CT there after. CT again with the type of game we need from him-12 points, I think 8 boards and 4 assists. I really like Tarke’s game. I also noticed he played some PG tonight, & I thought quite effectively. So, at least we do have 2 PG’s, since I assume Hicks isn’t coming back. This probably means less minutes for Lowery. I like Lowery’s D, but let’s face it, his offensive game is a work in progress. 

What can you say about Tejada? The kid’s a scorer and seems to possess that quality we’ve yearned for for years-the ability to hit a big shot in the clutch. 

I didn’t like the end of regulation, especially the terrible shot DWill took at the buzzer. But at least we didn’t yak in OT. 

Ok, on to Boston. Not optimistic about that game, on short turnaround time, but hopefully we can eke out another rock fight. 

A win at Boston would be the second-best win of the season after UNCW. That team is Towson-like at home and coming off a big win over Hofstra. It certainly didn't help that we went OT tonight, but at least we play nine players. Will be a tough task. Don't get CAA scheduling and it seems we get the short end of the stick. 

5 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Yeah, I liked that DW got into the lane again but as soon as his initial look wasn't there, he had Tarke on the wing and Tejada in the corner again (though the defender had Tejada shaded pretty well -- someone watched the tape from Saturday) so a kickout might have been better.  But at least he had a look from inside.  What I didn't like was the play that tied the game in regulation.  CT should be miles from that play and just let the ballhandlers take care of it.  I'm still flummoxed by our insistence in having CT be a handler against pressure D.  

15 straight at home, a SECU record.  7 more to tie the school record set in 1993-95.

He was defended by a 6-10 player. I think he wanted to get the last shot as the buzzer went off, but if he had just taken Maidoh off the dribble, maybe the defense collapses and he would have had time for one last pass. He might have waited just a second too long to make that play. In some ways, I'd rather Tarke have the ball at the end of games, because he's a willing passer.

The delay was enjoyable on the 📻 thanks to Spiro & Jimmy. 
Some great history discussed.  
Totally forgot about the old Campbell gymnasium being only 89ft long and short ceilings.  I remember trips down there for soccer.  
And had no clue Spiro’s Dad was an All American at Hopkins post WW2 ️ when they returned from Greece.   That being said the delay was unacceptable in this day and age.  
Tejada continues to impress except for his “2” stepping out of bounds plays and mind you May had one as well.  Silly turnovers.  
A good team makes us pay in that second half.  Stony Brook is not a top CAA team.  

2-1.  I’ll take it.   Boston next and the oldest sports arena in sports with the most Skerry family members ever attending this weekend! 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

Yeah, I neglected to mention in my previous post about the ridiculous 30-minute delay. Not acceptable & makes us look like a Mickey Mouse outfit. 

Also agree that CT has no business handling the ball like he did tonight at the end of the game. And May disappointed again on offense, though he gets credit for his D tonight. 

Last thing is an observation I made tonight. Early in the first half DWill did (or failed to do) something that pissed Skerry off. Then on the defensive end, Tarke picked up a foul. Skerry immediately yanked both from the game. Just seems to me that he’s putting unnecessary pressure on some of these guys to basically play perfect or be benched. I wonder if that doesn’t tend to make guys tentative, for fear of making a mistake and being benched