• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Bay Area Tiger

History of Baltimore Sports+

Listening to Spiro yesterday during the delay and it reminded me how much I love hearing about all the Baltimore Sports teams.  

Spiro said he spoke to Bill Belichick at Gillette Stadium 🥍  for 20 minutes about the 1975 Season as video coordinator for Ted Marchibroda.  

I was there when Cal broke Gehrig’s streak in 95’.  

I got to meet the great Tom Matte at Camden Yards and he told me how much he loved beating up my Eagles 🦅 

Colts/O’s/Bullets/Blast/etc

Please share any stories you may have..  highly appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Listening to Spiro yesterday during the delay and it reminded me how much I love hearing about all the Baltimore Sports teams.  

Spiro said he spoke to Bill Belichick at Gillette Stadium 🥍  for 20 minutes about the 1975 Season as video coordinator for Ted Marchibroda.  

I was there when Cal broke Gehrig’s streak in 95’.  

I got to meet the great Tom Matte at Camden Yards and he told me how much he loved beating up my Eagles 🦅 

Colts/O’s/Bullets/Blast/etc

Please share any stories you may have..  highly appreciated!

I had three chances to speak w Johnny U. 1st time in 1963 when I was 10, my dad spotted him as we were all coming out of church by Enoch-Pratt central library. He gave me a pen & paper and said to get his autograph. I ran to him walking by himself, and he gave me the signature.. 2nd time was 30 years later, when I was stacking canned food right by him at Bea Gatty's Thanksgiving dinner along McEderry St. He looked like he'd been through a war, and he pretty much had! Another autograph which I gave to my brother.. The final time was a Saturday evening football game at Minnegan stadium the time it was named after him. I was only about 9 seats away from behind his right shoulder. There was a throng of Tiger football fans surrounding him, and so I didn't wanna add to his being overwhelmed by one more. And then about three days later, he passed away. A Baltimore icon.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moleman1 said:

I had three chances to speak w Johnny U. 1st time in 1963 when I was 10, my dad spotted him as we were all coming out of church by Enoch-Pratt central library. He gave me a pen & paper and said to get his autograph. I ran to him walking by himself, and he gave me the signature.. 2nd time was 30 years later, when I was stacking canned food right by him at Bea Gatty's Thanksgiving dinner along McEderry St. He looked like he'd been through a war, and he pretty much had! Another autograph which I gave to my brother.. The final time was a Saturday evening football game at Minnegan stadium the time it was named after him. I was only about 9 seats away from behind his right shoulder. There was a throng of Tiger football fans surrounding him, and so I didn't wanna add to his being overwhelmed by one more. And then about three days later, he passed away. A Baltimore icon.. 

That is something.   Thanks for sharing. 
I know the Tollgate Barber 💈 Shop guys told me Unitas and the rest of the Colts were using public transportation around town and were always accessible to the fans which makes sense since they all had off season jobs etc.   That goalpost from the 58’ game at Alonzo’s.. I always marveled at it.  
Then I remember Ripken after he retired at Borders Books signing and he was so gracious to the kids with his time.   

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

Ripken saved me and my crew from some sort of bodily injury.  In spring of 97, we took our campus sports show to Camden Yards (shout out Bill Stetka) and we had our chairs down the RF line.   At one point, we caught on camera Cal and Tony Tarasco goofing around in the chairs.  A few minutes later, Cal comes up to us and says that he's going to be in big trouble in kangaroo court if anyone ever sees that video.  But then he got serious and said that we might want to move closer to the dugout because we're right in the line of fire if a lefty ropes one down the line.  We move our stuff and about 10 minutes later, Mo Vaughn is in the cage and he sends a rocket right about where we had been set up.  

It's been 20+ years since I've been in Camden Yards and I'm way overdue to get back.  Games at Memorial Stadium (both football and baseball) were pretty fun with the right atmosphere but if it was a blazing summer day, it could get uncomfortable too.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

Ripken saved me and my crew from some sort of bodily injury.  In spring of 97, we took our campus sports show to Camden Yards (shout out Bill Stetka) and we had our chairs down the RF line.   At one point, we caught on camera Cal and Tony Tarasco goofing around in the chairs.  A few minutes later, Cal comes up to us and says that he's going to be in big trouble in kangaroo court if anyone ever sees that video.  But then he got serious and said that we might want to move closer to the dugout because we're right in the line of fire if a lefty ropes one down the line.  We move our stuff and about 10 minutes later, Mo Vaughn is in the cage and he sends a rocket right about where we had been set up.  

It's been 20+ years since I've been in Camden Yards and I'm way overdue to get back.  Games at Memorial Stadium (both football and baseball) were pretty fun with the right atmosphere but if it was a blazing summer day, it could get uncomfortable too.

Camden Yards opened in the Spring Semester of my freshman year so the anticipation was incredible being that it was the first ever cookie cutter stadium of its kind in that era and I also remember the WhiteSox redoing Comiskey but the old way which at the time made little sense knowing and seeing what was going on in Baltimore.  I saw Nolan Ryan with the Rangers pitch there although there was a rain delay which shortened his start if he even pitched at all that day.. can’t remember but I do remember his warm up routine.  
I remember Brady Anderson and Boston fans in attendance chanting “Brady 88’” the entire game.   Tim Raines with the White Sox cursing at fans in left field for asking for his autograph ✍️ which was bizarre at the time guys at the ends of their career can either be gracious or assholes.  
As a kid we’d take bus trips down from Philly to Memorial Stadium and I remember being so excited to see Wally Joyner play for the first time after all the hype etc. 

Lastly and I’ve only done it twice in my life but I’m sure if I tried and the calendar guides aligned I could do more…

Every Spring my Dad would look at teams schedules and see if a “double dip” was possible..    Phillies-Orioles  Giants-A’s I’ve accomplished seeing both games the same day.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger