• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB pounds Campbell 77-43

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=487959

Tyler Tejada scored 18 points and grabbed six rebounds to lead Towson over Campbell 77-43 on Saturday afternoon at TU Arena. This was the first game these teams played in the CAA since the Camels joined for the 2023-24 season.

Towson improved to 4-2 on the season in the CAA and 11-8 overall. Campbell dropped to 3-3 in the league. The Tigers will wait on next Thursday's opponent at home and that's 7-0 Drexel, who destroyed Delaware 86-67 at home this afternoon.

So to the Good, Bad and Ugly. No ugly in this one. Wasn't there so crowd didn't appear too bad and I wasn't at the press conference. Will wait for the presser to go on YouTube. I'm sure PS took a shot at me for not being there.

Good

*Passing was exceptional today. Had 19 assists and 10 turnovers. The backups and walk ons came in at around the 3:50 mark and they did a good job of moving the ball. The three-point shooting at 11 for 26 (42.3%). We're moving up the ladder in three-point shooting (probably around 34%) and part of that is the passing, which starts with Tarke playing the point. Williamson moved to the bench today, but still played 20 minutes. Had 7 assists.

*Defense was exceptional. Gave up a few backdoors early, but overall, the number don't lie. Camels shot just 3 of 18 from beyond the arc (18.8%). Lowery with four blocks. Doesn't have to score much to be effective.

*Back to Towson hitting the boards today at +15. CT with 9 rebounds. 

Bad

*Not much to bitch about. 10 of 15 from the line for 66.7%, which is above our average. Like to see Sulaiman finish better (2-of-9). Missed about three bunnies in a row. Needs to use the glass. He's been adequate as a finisher before today. Patient.

We gave the camels a nice welcome to the league towson style. Manhandled them on the boards and even our bench guys were fired up to dunk it on them. Campbell look like some scared white boys out there.

HUGE game against Drexel on deck

Key was no letdown. Not a great shooting night at 43.1% shooting from the field. But let's face it, even though they are improving offensively, this team can be challenged on that end. We're going to need to win in a rock fight against Drexel, but continue making around 35-40% from long range. That's what we've been doing the last five games. Holding a team to 32% shooting helps but Campbell, while not bad offensively, is not Drexel. We're not 46 of 104 in our last five games shooting the three. That's 44.2%. Goes back to ball movement and allowing Tarke to create from the point or the 2, means teams have to help out on his drives and that means somebody like May, Williamson or Tejada might be open. Also helps when Tarke hits 2 or 3 a game. We're not shooting 34% from 3pt. Again, not bad when you consider Timberlake, Conway and Gibson were gone. Even Russell wasn't bad as a long range shooter. 

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/1/20/mens-basketball-towson-wins-for-the-100th-time-at-tu-arena-in-77-43-win-against-campbell.aspx

If Skerry called Thursday the best effort of the year then this topped that one.  Impressive to come out and pound a weaker team and not have that letdown after a big win.  It sets up a nice little showdown on Thursday night against another school that has tortured us over the years.

Not a bad crowd, under the circumstances.

I love Tarke’s game. He can hit just enough set shot 3’s to be an outside threat, can drive the lane and get fouled or dish it off. 

Tejada is just a scorer. He bullied the Camels on the board as well.

We didn’t need CT to score today, but he did have 9 boards.

I loved that inbounds play where Lowery got the flush. I remember when we used to run that for Timberlake and he would always try to dunk it one-handed and he always missed. Lowery had 7 boards, 1 steal, a couple of assists and 4 blocks. More than makes up for his offensive game, which is unrefined at this point.

Chase Paar is uncoordinated at times, but he did have a beautiful pass to Jones for a dunk. And what about the other Paar? I realize it was garbage time, but he hit a nice looking shot & threw down a dunk. Unlike his brother, he seems to have some athleticism.

DWill with 7 assists, and Sulaiman & Jones combined for around 10 points and 10 boards, which is probably the best we can hope for from that tandem.

I get it, Campbell is who we thought they were, but it was encouraging not to have a letdown after C of C. This sets up a big game this Thursday at home vs Drexel. Win and we knock them from the ranks of the undefeated and go a long way towards establishing ourselves as a legitimate contender for a top four conference finish 

• Like 1

Campbell did beat Hofstra at home and was shooting 46% from the field coming into this game. Probably a tad better than W&M, Elon, Hampton and maybe NC A&T. I do like the Princeton offense and it works for them at times, but not today.

The 16-game home winning streak will be put to the test on Thursday night vs. 7-0 Drexel. It's an odd streak but of course, the last loss came against Charleston in that overtime game last season in December. Watching the Charleston/UNCW game tonight, we'll never have that type of homecourt advantage so that makes it more impressive.