• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Comparing last season's squad with the 2023-24 version

There are a lot of differences and some similarities between this year's and last season's team. Personally, and it's really a different era, I believe the best team in this era was in the 2012-13 season. That was the season where we went 18-13 and were ineligible for the postseason. Benimon (17.1ppg, 11.2rpg), Damas, Jerome Hairston, Burwell and Bilal Dixon (7.3rpg) with Guthrie off the bench. Basically a seven-man rotation with TJPR off the bench. 

Anyhow, if you look at the turnovers of 460 and assists of 340, FT shooting (65.4%), three-point shooting (32%), they were flawed but Hairston (9.9ppg, 24.2% 3pt) was a heck of a freshman talent but probably not the best teammate. Until this season, if you just look at pure talent of freshmen coming in, he'd be near or at the top of the list. 

Now if you turn to last season's 21-12 (12-6 CAA) team. In a lot of ways, they underachieved since they were picked first and IMO again, the Gibson and the Paar injuries really hurt. Probably not enough to overtake a great Charleston team, but let's take a deeper dive into that team and why size (length) matters.

Last season, Towson averaged 71.8 points and allowed 66.7 points. They average 67.5 points and allow 64.2 points this season (slower tempo). Last year's team shot 44.7% from the field and 37% from long range. They allowed 42% shooting and 33.2% from long range. This is where the length comes in. Towson is shooting just 42% from the field and 34% from beyond the arc. They are allowing 42.9% shooting and 30.5% from beyond the arc. Of cousre, you'd like to seem the be a little better defensively in the paint. The low FG% is more about missing too many bunnies as I've mentioned in another thread, that 2-point shooting (46.3%). Last season's team was at 49%. The 2-point number will need to continue to get better though it's going to be very tough to score in the paint against Drexel's 6-10 Amari Williams. 

This year's team is at +8.7 rebounding margin, while last year was at -6.0. Turnovers are about the same along with steals (at little over 6.0). Blocks are up from 3.4 to 

The free throw shooting is a major issue this season at 62.7% compared to last season's 70.8%.

Last season's lineup:

SG Timberlake (6-4, 200)

PG Hicks (6-0, 180)/Conway (6-1, 185)

SF Nygal Russell (6-4, 210)

PF Cam Holden (6-5, 200)

C Charles Thompson (6-7, 250)

Bench

Sekou Sylla (6-5, 225)

Chris Biekeu (6-7, 235)

Christian May (6-5, 200)

Currently

PG Nendah Tarke (6-3, 210)

SG Tyler Tejada (6-8, 220)

SF C. May (6-5, 210)

PF Messiah Jones (6-6, 235)

C C. Thompson (6-7, 250)

Bench

Dylan Williamson (6-1, 180)

Mekhi Lowery (6-6, 200)

Tomiwa Suliaman (6-6, 230)

Chase Paar (6-10, 250)

Again, IMO, the addition of Lowery (7-2 wingpan), 6-8 Tejada and getting a healthy 6-10 Paar has helped the defense overall and the additions of Sulaiman and Jones have helped the rebounding. I would expect Tarke to average around 5.0 rebounds (he's at 4.7). 

Moving Tarke to the point is interesting but it might be better to bring Williamson off the bench at the point or the two. Tejada (36.4% 3pt) and May (37.3% 3pt) are becoming good 3-point shooters. If Williamson (31.1%) can join the part, that would be a big boost, especially against Drexel, who is going to deny a lot of the paint points.

I've brought up Caleb Embeya (6-9) and Chike Ndefo (6-7) is due to the length along with some skill level. Length up front is fine, but having that on the perimeter with Lowery, who I think could move to the 4 with a lot more weight, would be nice to have in the future. 

When it comes to tempo, this has to be the slowest Skerry team (361st, NTexas at 362) ever. Last season, they were at 289 and would push it off a rebound, assuming Cam Holden got the board.

• Like 1

My long-winded point was that we had better shooters but less size last season. We also didn't have Tarke. Lately, we've seen better ball movement, better passing, which leads to open shots. Have to connect on those but if you get those shots, you're likely to shoot over 40% from the field and hopefully around 35% or more from the three-point line. Getting to the rim more would be great as well since Tarke and Williamson have that ability. 

Guthrie was such a great player off the bench for us.   He brought this energy and desire that has yet to be matched by any past or current Towson bench player.  Probably because of his maturity.. I believe he was already a Dad when he joined the team. 

This season has started to come together because of Tarke coming on.   Remember how many of us were dismissing him as a so so player after his first game (Bryant I believe!?)  Man has he been great.  

I’m just excited to have both Tejada and Lowery playing and contributing so much this season.  We really landed “2” Swiss Army type players.  Pat and staff get a “A” already for this freshman class this season.  

If this team can shoot 40% or better from beyond the arc “consistently” and improve their foul shooting I think we can beat anyone in the CAA.  Time will tell.  

And how much do we owe Mat for all the coverage this season and in the past.  I’m not in the area and rely on him so much for the insights.  Throw Jake into the mix now as well.  

Tremendous coverage for the program which results in extensive criticism as well.. goes hand in hand.  

Still got this feeling this particular group does something big in the CAA tournament. Tejada has always shown he wants the ball and he’s a gym rat 🐀 working on his game. 
Maybe he’s what Carmelo was to Syracuse this season for us.   Or KD for Texas?  
Not the same superstar players they are but a freshman who just willed us to win and changed our fortunes.  Time will tell!

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Guthrie was such a great player off the bench for us.   He brought this energy and desire that has yet to be matched by any past or current Towson bench player.  Probably because of his maturity.. I believe he was already a Dad when he joined the team. 

This season has started to come together because of Tarke coming on.   Remember how many of us were dismissing him as a so so player after his first game (Bryant I believe!?)  Man has he been great.  

I’m just excited to have both Tejada and Lowery playing and contributing so much this season.  We really landed “2” Swiss Army type players.  Pat and staff get a “A” already for this freshman class this season.  

If this team can shoot 40% or better from beyond the arc “consistently” and improve their foul shooting I think we can beat anyone in the CAA.  Time will tell.  

And how much do we owe Mat for all the coverage this season and in the past.  I’m not in the area and rely on him so much for the insights.  Throw Jake into the mix now as well.  

Tremendous coverage for the program which results in extensive criticism as well.. goes hand in hand.  

Still got this feeling this particular group does something big in the CAA tournament. Tejada has always shown he wants the ball and he’s a gym rat 🐀 working on his game. 
Maybe he’s what Carmelo was to Syracuse this season for us.   Or KD for Texas?  
Not the same superstar players they are but a freshman who just willed us to win and changed our fortunes.  Time will tell!

The great imponderable is what might have been with Watson. I wonder if there’s any chance he plays this season? Even if he does, he’d have a lot of rust to knock off & I’m assuming he’d be on a pitch count. Also, what of continuity on the court with his teammates? He’s only 5 months removed from surgery, so I still don’t know how realistic him playing this season really is 

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The great imponderable is what might have been with Watson. I wonder if there’s any chance he plays this season? Even if he does, he’d have a lot of rust to knock off & I’m assuming he’d be on a pitch count. Also, what of continuity on the court with his teammates? He’s only 5 months removed from surgery, so I still don’t know how realistic him playing this season really is 

Rule of thumb has always been 12-15 months for full recovery but I know for basketball players that time frame has been shortened.  Rishwain who played for USF and now FLA had ACL surgery last January and returned this past November. 

I’d love to have Watson but I also don’t want him to end up like Leon Powe.  Everybody has their own timeline.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger