• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

May leads MBB over Delaware 67-56

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=484184

Charles Thompson was ejected with 12:56 left in the game after receiving his second ejection, but Towson never folded as they basically led from start to finish to hand Delaware a 67-56 defeat from Newark. The Tigers have now won four straight games and are 6-2 in the CAA before 2,792 at the Bob.

Delaware cut the lead to 44-39 after Jyare Davis hit two free throws, but Davis later picked up his third and fourth foul, and the Hens were never able to take advantage of Thompson's absence. Christian May scored 23 points and Dylan Williamson added 14 of his 16 points in the second half. But it was Chase Paar's play on the defensive end that allowed the Tigers to hold the lead until the end. Making 19 of 26 free throws (73%) didn't hurt either.

Another win..   “Towson vs Everyone”

Good teams find a way and we did yet again. 
Students back and I have this feeling the Towson Arena will have a huge crowd this Thursday for our paybacks to Northeastern!  

• Like 2

Ok, so what if I told you CT would score 4 points (after being kicked out of the game, following a brutally bad technical foul call); Tarke (who I still love) would have a comically bad 2-17 shooting performance (how’s that even possible); Tejada would continue his funk (3 total points in the last two games); and Sulaiman would score 2 points, and …we’d win by 11, on the road, on short rest.

After May channeled his good Timberlake in the 1st half, you knew DE was going to take him away in the second half, and when they did, up stepped DWill, who was virtually unstoppable towards the end of the game. And kudos to Jones, with another solid 8 point effort, and to Lowery, for draining those two foul shots late in the game.

I saved the best for the last…what a clutch performance by Chase Paar. He chipped in a few points, but really played stellar D, after CT got the boot. 

Credit to Skerry for calling out the abomination that was the ejection of CT. As best I could see, he simply slapped the ball out of Davis’s hands, which, in a big conference game, hardly seemed to have been deserving a technical foul. Having said that, CT needs to do a better job of maintaining his composure, and not giving bad refs like this an excuse to T him up.

6-2, with W’s vs DE & C of C (on the road) along with W’s vs Drexel & UNCW. I don’t know how long they can keep this up, given some of the inherent limitations they have, but for now, I’m just going to enjoy it. On to NE at home Thursday, in what should be a revenge game for us 

• Like 4

So, good win today. Not shocking, but with Charles picking up two strange technical fouls (one in the first half as he and Drumgoole were holding onto the ball out of bounds). Another where Davis gave him a slight bump and he knocked the ball out of his hands with about 12:30 left in the game.

Good

*Chase Paar. Throw out the numbers. He played 21 minutes, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and a block. I thought he got tired at the end and Davis capitalized, but considering he had to play the final 12 minutes on a bad knee (had an injection to help the pain), he did an excellent job.

*May was fantastic with 23 points. Would like to see him make a better decision on the Paar pass and a drive where he should have pulled the ball out after an offensive rebounds (he turned it over).

*Defense was extraordinary at times. Held a good shooting Delaware team to 39% from the field and 5-of-19 from beyond the arc.

*FT shooting 19 of 26 for 73%. It would be nice to average that each game and Lowery made both of his! Looks like he changed his form.

*Dylan Williamson was magnificent in the second half. Even if some of that was playground basketball, he found a way to score when Davis kept scoring on the other end.

Bad 

*The Thompson technical fouls. Right or wrong. He has to be the bigger man and not respond to Davis on that second tech. In some ways, Towson played better without him and as much as I like Charles, I'd use Chase a lot during the end of the games since he's a slightly better FT shooter. 

Ugly

*Tarke's 2 for 17 shooting. and 0-6 from 3pt. Too many shots for Tarke and not enough passing (1 assist). Thought he was bumped on a couple of drives and didn't get the calls.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Ok, so what if I told you CT would score 4 points (after being kicked out of the game, following a brutally bad technical foul call); Tarke (who I still love) would have a comically bad 2-17 shooting performance (how’s that even possible); Tejada would continue his funk (3 total points in the last two games); and Sulaiman would score 2 points, and …we’d win by 11, on the road, on short rest.

After May channeled his good Timberlake in the 1st half, you knew DE was going to take him away in the second half, and when they did, up stepped DWill, who was virtually unstoppable towards the end of the game. And kudos to Jones, with another solid 8 point effort, and to Lowery, for draining those two foul shots late in the game.

I saved the best for the last…what a clutch performance by Chase Paar. He chipped in a few points, but really played stellar D, after CT got the boot. 

Credit to Skerry for calling out the abomination that was the ejection of CT. As best I could see, he simply slapped the ball out of Davis’s hands, which, in a big conference game, hardly seemed to have been deserving a technical foul. Having said that, CT needs to do a better job of maintaining his composure, and not giving bad refs like this an excuse to T him up.

6-2, with W’s vs DE & C of C (on the road) along with W’s vs Drexel & UNCW. I don’t know how long they can keep this up, given some of the inherent limitations they have, but for now, I’m just going to enjoy it. On to NE at home Thursday, in what should be a revenge game for us 

Rebounding, defense, depth, better FT shooting. Overcame the horrible shooting second half. If you would have told me that Tarke was going 0 for 6 from 3pt and 2 for 17 from the field and with Charles getting thrown out almost similar (not quite) to the flagrant foul in the CAA semfinals, I'd say there's no way we're winning.

At some point, I have to wonder if we are better in almost every category other than 3-point shooting compared to last season's team. Better defense due to Lowery and Tarke and the additions of 6-8 Tejada and the 6-10 Paar healthy. I'm a little concerned about the shooting because I thought we were improving in that category and would take advantage of Delaware. Tejada just seems to have hit a wall and needs to get back in the lab so to speak. Some nights, it's May and Tejada, others it's Tarke and Williamson. Focus on getting revenge on Northeastern and February means maybe a certain No. 23 appears at some point (or not).

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/marcus-watson/23046

• Like 1

Blue Hens? More like Blue Hairs. Looked like the majority of that crowd was 70+…..which actually might not be a bad marketing angle to take. Bus in a bunch of folks from some of the local senior living facilities and fill up the arena for TV purposes.  

Gives new meaning to “Senior Night”.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Blue Hens? More like Blue Hairs. Looked like the majority of that crowd was 70+…..which actually might not be a bad marketing angle to take. Bus in a bunch of folks from some of the local senior living facilities and fill up the arena for TV purposes.  

Gives new meaning to “Senior Night”.

I thought they’d have a strong student presence today, as I was thinking it’s move in weekend. I hope we have a strong student turnout this Thursday, given how well we’re playing. You would think the incoming freshmen who live on campus will be interested in attending 

PS after the game on TSN 

"I'm really proud of our guys. Facing a talented team. In a great environment today. An atrocity of a situation to lose Charly with 12:30 left. We're trying to get our officials ready for the Big East and ACC. I don't know if that would go on in those leagues.

"May was great, Dylan was immense down the stretch. Nendah a tough night shooting the ball, We took care of it. (Jyare) Davis is just a tough guy to guard. He's so good. The kid Ray, I'll be happy when those guys are gone."

"Paar was outstanding. His defense was great. We did an injection on him because his knee was bother him. He was in a lot of pain against NE and SBrook. Kudos to our medical staff. Our strength coach was ill. He's a warrior.

"We have to enjoy this. NE beat us up there. Bill Coen is all-time winningest coach in CAA history. We'll get home. Go Ravens! They canceled football up in New England."