• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Hofstra preview

4 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

To get a top 4 spot, this game is crucial. 

I was thinking bigger, but I get your point about the top four. A win on the road at Hofstra would give us some good separation from one of the major threats to be a top four team.

That UNCW sweep of Charleston is going to loom large in the conference title race. Drexel is off this Saturday and goes to UNC-W and Charleston in their next two, followed by playing two of three against Hofstra in their following three.

Something tells me if we can win at Hofstra we can start credibly putting ourselves at the UNC-W/Charleston level of the conference conversation. Still too far away to start talking about conference titles, but if Towson wins this weekend it would be tied for first with Drexel with no more road games against Drexel, Delaware, Charleston or Monmouth (they haven't lost at home in conference play yet). There are still a lot of landmines and it is way too early to assume wins, but we have set ourselves up well so far. 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I was thinking bigger, but I get your point about the top four. A win on the road at Hofstra would give us some good separation from one of the major threats to be a top four team.

That UNCW sweep of Charleston is going to loom large in the conference title race. Drexel is off this Saturday and goes to UNC-W and Charleston in their next two, followed by playing two of three against Hofstra in their following three.

Something tells me if we can win at Hofstra we can start credibly putting ourselves at the UNC-W/Charleston level of the conference conversation. Still too far away to start talking about conference titles, but if Towson wins this weekend it would be tied for first with Drexel with no more road games against Drexel, Delaware, Charleston or Monmouth (they haven't lost at home in conference play yet). There are still a lot of landmines and it is way too early to assume wins, but we have set ourselves up well so far. 

Top 4 is now the goal since NIT doesn’t happen for finishing first.  Finish top 4. Get whatever amount of byes and go from there. 
Hofstra is tough at home and has three really good offensive weapons 

33 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:
34 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

NIT doesn’t happen for finishing first.

Do you mean it’s no longer an auto NIT bid? I mean, the NIT could take the regular season champ (if that team doesn’t win the tournament, that is), right? They’re just longer required to? Frankly, I don’t really even want to discuss an NIT bid. We’ve already done that. The real goal is obvious, and need not be elaborated upon any further, after lo these many years 

18 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Yes it’s no longer guaranteed. We all (well most of us) know what the ultimate goal is but finishing top 4 is crucial.  

it’s homecoming tomorrow at Hofstra and they are giving away Speedy jerseys to 500 students, 25 buck tickets with food and drinks for alumni, and a chance to win a car. That with it being on tv should be their best crowd of the year  

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yes it’s no longer guaranteed. We all (well most of us) know what the ultimate goal is but finishing top 4 is crucial.  

it’s homecoming tomorrow at Hofstra and they are giving away Speedy jerseys to 500 students, 25 buck tickets with food and drinks for alumni, and a chance to win a car. That with it being on tv should be their best crowd of the year  

Doubt it’ll be any more raucous than C of C. I mean, who knows? We’ve laid some eggs on the road, and we’ve won at C of C and DE. This is hardly a revelation, but I think if we can weather the storm early and not fall behind big early, we might have a chance to steal a W

17 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Top 4 is now the goal since NIT doesn’t happen for finishing first.  Finish top 4. Get whatever amount of byes and go from there. 
Hofstra is tough at home and has three really good offensive weapons 

I still think the main goal is to win the conference, but it is too early to go there and top four is the first step in that conversation. No doubt this is a very difficult matchup for Towson. We played great up there two years ago and were playing well last year in the first half until they shredded our defense in the second half. Hitting a shot at the buzzer to win after trailing by 13 to Stony Brook last game has to give them so momentum heading into tonight's game.

Northeastern feels like the one team so far in this conference that has found a way to get a lot of good looks against our defense, but give Towson credit for really clamping down in that second half. I still wonder if there is anything on the Northeastern film that other teams can use. Although, their style and personnel seems a lot different than others teams in the conference. I have only watched small parts of Hofstra games this year, but the few times I have watched they seem like a really talented team that isn't getting the most collectively out of that talent. Hopefully that spark doesn't go off tonight. Would be nice to be tied for first at the end of the day. 

41 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I still think the main goal is to win the conference, but it is too early to go there and top four is the first step in that conversation. No doubt this is a very difficult matchup for Towson. We played great up there two years ago and were playing well last year in the first half until they shredded our defense in the second half. Hitting a shot at the buzzer to win after trailing by 13 to Stony Brook last game has to give them so momentum heading into tonight's game.

Northeastern feels like the one team so far in this conference that has found a way to get a lot of good looks against our defense, but give Towson credit for really clamping down in that second half. I still wonder if there is anything on the Northeastern film that other teams can use. Although, their style and personnel seems a lot different than others teams in the conference. I have only watched small parts of Hofstra games this year, but the few times I have watched they seem like a really talented team that isn't getting the most collectively out of that talent. Hopefully that spark doesn't go off tonight. Would be nice to be tied for first at the end of the day. 

Winning regular season only guarantees a 1 seed. While that’s good it’s not the ultimate goal.  With unbalanced schedule and tiebreakers it’s a semi crapshoot. But let’s not get ahead of it.
Hofstra can score but they don’t have a big. Need a good game from Charles today.  May, tarke, Suliman and lowery are going to need to play much better on defense than on Thursday (especially the first two)