• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Charleston overwhelms MBB on Senior Day 72-56

45 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I really hope Tarke doesn't come back next year. As has been noted in other threads, he's slow-footed and seems to get his shot blocked more often than not when going to the basket. As for those long-range bricks he throws up ... he even managed an airball on one attempt today. To my mind, he adds next to nothing to our lineup. At least Williamson has some moves when driving and also mixes in a fairly accurate step-back shot.

And, at the risk of sounding too dreary, I have NO HOPE of us reaching the NCAAs this decade. Nothing has changed with this coach, and nothing will. The AD is happy that we got 4,300 people into the arena today -- even if a third of them were kids showing their autism solidarity. I doubt there were 100 students in the "student section." The fact that we'll finish with a (barely) winning record will qualify this year as a success.

Let me put this to everyone…who would you want back next year, of those who played this season? (Thus not counting Watson). As for me, it’s a very short list…DWill, Lowery and Tejada. As for May, while I won’t be rooting for him to leave, if he does, I won’t lose a wink of sleep 

18 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

It's his offense, his shot selection, his lack of passing when he started out like Jason Kidd, his lack of explosiveness, his lack of finishing, and his shooting.

But aside from this, he’s a standout 😆

You know, I was thinking after todays game how I might have underestimated the loss of Conway, who’s roster spot was basically traded for Tarke. While Conway wasn’t going to carry this team on his back, he almost certainly would have added a much needed offensive spark and might have been the best 3-point shooter 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Tarke was supposed to be good defensively. He did earn MEAC All-Defensive team twice and led the nation in steals in one year. Maybe he's a little heavy and the fact that we don't press is a reason why he doesn't get as many steals per game (Coppin pressed and was 19th in tempo). But Tarke's defense isn't the big problem. It's his offense, his shot selection, his lack of passing when he started out like Jason Kidd, his lack of explosiveness, his lack of finishing, and his shooting. He's been banged up but I don't think he's had a serious injury. He just seems a lot slower than expected, again going back to lack of speed and athleticism overall on this team. 

I don’t disagree. Knew he wasn’t going to carry us on offense, like many here thought.  Savior he was not going to be. But I really thought he would be good defensively.  He is not. 

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Let me put this to everyone…who would you want back next year, of those who played this season? (Thus not counting Watson). As for me, it’s a very short list…DWill, Lowery and Tejada. As for May, while I won’t be rooting for him to leave, if he does, I won’t lose a wink of sleep 

That’s not nice! We need to be positive and nice to the players on here!

I’ll take those 3 and May. Maybe Suliman. The thing is no one is a star and can carry the team. Whether that be the player themselves, or strategy or both.  Charleston has a team of role players that fit their system and are terrifically coached. Won back to back caa titles with that strategy. If we could get 10 solid role players and a good strategy that’s fine. But it won’t happen.  Kelsey has gotten 3-5 D2/NAIA players come in and work out. We had Sylla and Suliman who were highly regarded and have been ok I guess.   
How does jones go from 9-5 shooting 64% to 4-3 shooting under 45%?!

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

That’s not nice! We need to be positive and nice to the players on here!

See, that’s the thing. I don’t blame the players, I blame the coach. The players seem to be nice kids and it’s certainly not their fault for accepting a scholarship. In fact, some of these kids have heart wrenching stories (I think both Jones and Paar have lost their mother). But it’s hard to watch Paar trying to hedge on defense, and it’s hard to watch guys like Jones and Sulaiman, who simply don’t have the athleticism to sustain success against quicker, more athletic forwards. I can’t answer your question about Jones. If anyone can, I’d certainly like to hear from them 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I'd retain May(So), Hicks(Jr) (assuming he returns as good as before injury), Sulaiman(Jr), ditch Coleman(Jr)(sorry), Cole undetermined?.. Utilize the Portal a lot more.. Truax got so many great guards: Boyd, Lee, Scooter A, Blalock, Jacobs - all those greats before the Portal. (.. in addition to Williams, Tejada and Lowery) 

Edited by Moleman1

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

If the reality is we have Skerry until the end of his current contract and he’s absolutely convinced that his philosophy and coaching style is the only way to do it, then we’re essentially cooked as a program for a while.

Having said that, if he could do ANYTHING at all to change the trajectory of this program and get us over the hump in the future, perhaps he needs to consider a full-time sports psychologist. I’m beginning to believe that our program suffers from an inferiority complex. These are reasonably athletic and capable players as we’ve seen in several of their wins this season. They just seem to shrink in certain games and situations….including free throws. It’s as if they fear prosperity. One step forward, two steps back. They could maybe benefit from some time with a good shrink. 

(1) After 13 years, I think it’s highly unlikely Skerry is changing his philosophy anytime soon;

(2) I can’t explain how we occasionally pull off a W vs C of C or UNCW, but what I am confident in saying is that our players are far less athletic and skilled than these squads and Hofstra & Delaware, for that matter. An outlier W here and there isn’t going to suffice to get us where we want to be;

(3) I don’t know about the players needing a good shrink, but after 13 years of this, I think maybe I do

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TigerFan54 said:

And, at the risk of sounding too dreary, I have NO HOPE of us reaching the NCAAs this decade.

Being honest is not being dreary. In the abstract, anything’s possible, but it’s difficult to foresee a realistic path to the dance, after 13 years of futility. I mean I suppose every other team in the CAA could wind up on probation, but other than that….

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

What will be telling is if someone transfers out, how do they perform at their new school.  That will be the biggest indictment.  I think everyone on this roster has talent and collectively, they should be contenders.  But their overall development has not matured like it should.  Charles has regressed offensively.  Sulaiman and Jones have not gotten an ounce better from day 1.  May’s breakout at the end of last year should have been a springboard to filling Timberlake’s shoes.  This isn’t just a this year problem either.  We had a big man whose name escapes me that played 5-6 yrs ago who had promise as a youngster but kept making the same mistakes with bad hedges and softness offensively in the lane and he went from being a potential future star as a freshman to a player we weren’t sad to see graduate.  It’s not difficult to see the correlation. 

36 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Being honest is not being dreary. In the abstract, anything’s possible, but it’s difficult to foresee a realistic path to the dance, after 13 years of futility. I mean I suppose every other team in the CAA could wind up on probation, but other than that….

Hahahah 

52 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

See, that’s the thing. I don’t blame the players, I blame the coach. The players seem to be nice kids and it’s certainly not their fault for accepting a scholarship. In fact, some of these kids have heart wrenching stories (I think both Jones and Paar have lost their mother). But it’s hard to watch Paar trying to hedge on defense, and it’s hard to watch guys like Jones and Sulaiman, who simply don’t have the athleticism to sustain success against quicker, more athletic forwards. I can’t answer your question about Jones. If anyone can, I’d certainly like to hear from them 

It is difficult. And I was being facetious

18 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

What will be telling is if someone transfers out, how do they perform at their new school.  That will be the biggest indictment.  I think everyone on this roster has talent and collectively, they should be contenders.  But their overall development has not matured like it should.  Charles has regressed offensively.  Sulaiman and Jones have not gotten an ounce better from day 1.  May’s breakout at the end of last year should have been a springboard to filling Timberlake’s shoes.  This isn’t just a this year problem either.  We had a big man whose name escapes me that played 5-6 yrs ago who had promise as a youngster but kept making the same mistakes with bad hedges and softness offensively in the lane and he went from being a potential future star as a freshman to a player we weren’t sad to see graduate.  It’s not difficult to see the correlation. 

Is part of the problem the assistant coaches?  I have no idea which of them would be considered a good big’s coach. Are any of them good at helping improve shooting efficiency? I understand that assistant’s are often there for recruiting purposes. I was curious about the guy they hired from Coppin. Maybe he’s a super assistant, but I can’t help but wonder if there weren’t better options out there