• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB Collapses late in the 2nd half agaisnt UNCW, falls 75-64 and gets fifth seed

1 hour ago, omniland said:

Play May and Tejada at the same time.  You have to have more than one guy on the floor that teams are concerned about from 3.  We are a poor 3 point team no doubt but you have to try something different on offense to get decent outside shots or just give up the season.  You have the dominate inside game with Jones, Suliaman and Thompson but you can't just trade 2's for 3's against every good team.  The defense and rebounding and the inside game can win against the middle tier and the bottom but it is not enough against the top of the CAA.  Those teams eventually pull away.

This would make too much sense, why would you ever present this idea for Towson basketball??  (sarcasm)

Our offense often belongs in the peach basket era, especially in these higher-stakes games.  We can come out against A&T or Monmouth at home or Arcadia and swing the ball around like an offense should and look like world beaters.  But when we get into the butt clenchers, we revert to this archaic, dump-it-in-the-post style that hasn't worked since Benimon was dominating.  Too many times today, the ball stagnated.  No switching sides or working it inside out.  In the chat, I equated Tarke to that guy at the Y who you always leave open because you know he's gonna shoot it and he's likely gonna miss it.  Gosh, he was open so many times today and he just clanks one after another.  But if you have a lineup of DW, Tejada, May, CT, and either Suli or Jones, you have a ballhandler who has to be monitored for drives, 2 guys who can light it up from outside (theoretically) that you can't help off of and 2 guys who can gather the rebounds on missed shots and be somewhat of a force in the lane.  But this goes back too many times to constant substitutions and never getting a good mix on the floor.  There were a few times today where the lineup was Tarke, Lowery, Tejada, Paar, and Suli.  Where do you think the defense is going to key?  It almost feels like sometimes that we put lineups on the floor like a rec league coach would in order to make the parents happy that their kids get into the game.  In the first 5-7 games of the non-con season, I can understand it.  But now, there's no excuse for it.  

As for next week, I'd imagine we'll get one since it'll be either A&T or W&M but after that, I have zero confidence that we'll learn anything from today's game to beat UNCW a 2nd time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

This would make too much sense, why would you ever present this idea for Towson basketball??  (sarcasm)

Our offense often belongs in the peach basket era, especially in these higher-stakes games.  We can come out against A&T or Monmouth at home or Arcadia and swing the ball around like an offense should and look like world beaters.  But when we get into the butt clenchers, we revert to this archaic, dump-it-in-the-post style that hasn't worked since Benimon was dominating.  Too many times today, the ball stagnated.  No switching sides or working it inside out.  In the chat, I equated Tarke to that guy at the Y who you always leave open because you know he's gonna shoot it and he's likely gonna miss it.  Gosh, he was open so many times today and he just clanks one after another.  But if you have a lineup of DW, Tejada, May, CT, and either Suli or Jones, you have a ballhandler who has to be monitored for drives, 2 guys who can light it up from outside (theoretically) that you can't help off of and 2 guys who can gather the rebounds on missed shots and be somewhat of a force in the lane.  But this goes back too many times to constant substitutions and never getting a good mix on the floor.  There were a few times today where the lineup was Tarke, Lowery, Tejada, Paar, and Suli.  Where do you think the defense is going to key?  It almost feels like sometimes that we put lineups on the floor like a rec league coach would in order to make the parents happy that their kids get into the game.  In the first 5-7 games of the non-con season, I can understand it.  But now, there's no excuse for it.  

As for next week, I'd imagine we'll get one since it'll be either A&T or W&M but after that, I have zero confidence that we'll learn anything from today's game to beat UNCW a 2nd time.

Couldn’t have said it better myself 

4 hours ago, omniland said:

Play May and Tejada at the same time.  You have to have more than one guy on the floor that teams are concerned about from 3.  We are a poor 3 point team no doubt but you have to try something different on offense to get decent outside shots or just give up the season.  You have the dominate inside game with Jones, Suliaman and Thompson but you can't just trade 2's for 3's against every good team.  The defense and rebounding and the inside game can win against the middle tier and the bottom but it is not enough against the top of the CAA.  Those teams eventually pull away.

May and Tejada start at the same time. They are serviceable three point shooters at 35%. Neither are Timberlake or Conway. Tejada isn’t explosive athletically but he can get to the rim. They need to run more of the offense through him. 

This team isn’t going to change at this point. They can be a better offensive team by going inside-out waiting for a double team and then kicking it out. If not, hammer it inside. The good teams in this league have more than just good shooters; they have guys who are willing to make the extra pass.

8 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Not a terribly surprising result, which is the problem. Tarke 0-10. You would think he would have made 1 by accident. Any chance Nicholls State wants him back?

Look, we desperately need a PG & some guys who can score next season. Needing these things and getting them are 2 completely different stories though. 

CT with a headbutt? Is this the WWF? He’s got his name all over the TU record books, in no small part due to the volume of games he played, but it’s time to close the book on the CT era.

Honestly, is anyone excited/optimistic about our chances in the tournament? Maybe we win 1 game, though I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if we’re 1 & done 

CT started his 114th game for Towson today. 

One takeaway from the radio broadcast and spoke volumes to me…. Coach said he wants teams that play Towson to walk away saying “that was a battle mentally and physically” I’m paraphrasing but you get the gist of it.   
I as a sports fan love seeing players play with emotion etc.  That being said sometimes all that emotion being expressed can wipe out a team’s energy etc. 

I can handle to an extent physical mistakes but the mental mistakes of stepping out of bounds etc drive me nuts. 

As a fanbase we are all mentally drained from this Jekyl & Hyde famedom we’ve been living for decades.  

I’m at a Ramada Inn in Burbank CA right now saying to myself one more week and we all get a break from this team and program. 

19 turnovers today!  How Why Who What