• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Williamson leads MBB to 67-56 win over W&M in 2nd round of CAA Trny

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/3/9/mens-basketball-second-half-surge-leads-no-5-towson-past-no-13-william-mary.aspx

Redshirt freshman Dylan Williamson scored 15 points to lead the Tigers over the Tribe 67-56 in the second round of the CAA Tournament in Washington D.C. on Saturday afternoon. Towson was down 30-29 at the half and by as many as six points in the second half before going on a 20-0 run where William & Mary went scoreless for over 10 minutes. 

Nendah Tarke added 14 points, 8 rebounds and three steals for Towosn who moves on to take on No. 4 UNCW on Sunday at 2:30pm. Charles Thompson had 10 points and six rebounds in the second half, as he was not permitted to play in the first half due to his actions late in the UNCW game (head butt).

This was a strange game maybe because it was a bit of a look into Towson basketball without Charles Thompson in the first half. It was an ugly look with no real rebounder or defensive presence, though Chase Paar played adequately (0-3, 2rebs in 12 minutes). Charles was a leader in the second half with his passing and that three-point play where he head-butted the basket support after making the tough shot. No ugly, just Good and Bad today.

Good

*Tarke's defense and rebounding (8) were exceptional. Had 3 steals and one led to a rare dunk to give Towson a 15-point lead and that pretty much ended it  I thought he and May were exceptional on the defensive end in the second half.

*Sulaiman had a strong game off the bench with 12 points in 23 minutes.

*Bench was 41-2. I know CT played the entire second half and was considered a backup in this game but still solid.

*Survived the first half without CT. Didn't play well, but if that wasn't W&M, they'd probably be down by double digits. Shows you his importance on both ends of the floor.

Bad

*Three-point defense was terrible early on. Wound up at 10-of-30, which is not bad. I think the biggest issue was going for the pump fakes and they finally stayed on the floor.

*Just +2 in rebounding margin. For some reason, Sulaiman (2 rebs) seems to drop and miss a lot of defensive rebounds. He's a strong offensive rebounder as is Messiah Jones.

*Jones had to play some backup center so I won't get on him too much for his defense. But he has to make those chippies. He was 1 for 5 and all shots were around the basket.

*May was 1 for 8 from 3pt and 0-5 from 3pt. Quality defense and three assists, but he needs to score as well for this team to have any chance on Sunday. 

*Transition game was ugh. Tomiwa and Tyler with some bad decisions trying to go 1 on 3 in the second half. DWill with a crazy spin move in the first half. We're so used to playing slow is that we get so excited to be on a fast break.

Will CT be suspended tomorrow for head butting the basket stanchion?

Heckuva game (except 0-4 from 3) for Tarke. When he takes it to the tin, good things can happen. Also DWill was our microwave off the bench. No coincidence that CT’s arrival in the second half coincided with the game trending towards a L, to a double digit W. Suliaman also had a nice game. Now, OTOH, May’s shooting was woeful, again. And Jones was equally futile; his consistent misses on what are basically layups is incomprehensible. 

I expect us to get jacked tomorrow, but I’ll hope against hope that we can ugly it up to the extent that it’s close at the end, though close at the end usually isnt a recipe for victory for us 

• Like 1

Tarke doesn’t need to take 3’s.  He is great at driving to the left and picking up fouls.   As good as we have had.  He can draw a lot fouls and is good from the line.  Stay with that game instead of a wasted possession taking a 3. 

May has to shoot better.  It is just going to be tough to beat UNCW without 3’s from May.  He had a bad day shooting but you have to count on him tomorrow.  We need more 3’s to win at the next level. 

Amazing what Charles means to this team.  Just a different half.  We also got a glimpse of what it is like to not have senseless substitution.  Charles, I think played the entire second half.  I understand we could do that because he had no fouls but I also think these guys are in great shape and our best players need to get in a rhythm.  There is just too much nonsensical substitution throughout the season. 

We do miss too many layups but I like Sulaiman and Jones.  They have been tough all year.  No one is perfect, but they are not the reason we are disappointing.  We need 3’s.  UNCW is going to hit 3’s.  Charleston is going to hit 3’s.  Our defense, scoring in the paint and points from the bench is not the issue.  We need outside shots or we can’t keep up late in games against the top teams.

First off big congrats to skerry for gettin his  200th win at Towson today. Nice round number. Also with todays win, ties Pat Kennedy (only two with wins) for the most CAAT wins, with…5.  Hopefully they aren’t celebrating to late tonight as tomorrow is going to take a near perfect game. 

Suliman and Williamson played well today. May and tarke can’t shoot but did play very good defensively in the second half. Gotta give Coleman props for giving us a few serviceable minutes in the first half 

That was a very skerry press conference

”that must be one of those $5.99/year services. I’ll have to talk to my AD to see if we can afford that we’re over budget”

was that a shot at FloSports and a lack of funding from the university?

4 minutes ago, Blounge said:

That was a very skerry press conference

”that must be one of those $5.99/year services. I’ll have to talk to my AD to see if we can afford that we’re over budget”

was that a shot at FloSports and a lack of funding from the university?

The Charles response was the strangest. They are obviously hiding something