• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falters down the stretch, falls to No. 1 Charleston in semifinals 61-56

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=519441

A 13-1 run at the end by Charleston. No words can describe this loss. Nendah Tarke gets stripped by Ryne Smith on a layup attempt. Christian May throws up an air ball on a free throw attempt on the front end of a one-and-one with an attempt to tie the game. So many misses at the end and so many attempts to run clock, instead of running offense.

Before I get to the recap, here are Pat's comments on a very long postgame on radio and not the press conference.

"We had a lead that kind of evaporated. We went four guards late because we were strugglig to score. We struggled to put the ball in the basket. A couple of turnovers. Pushed out on a couple of shots. Dylan, Tejada, CMay. Tried to go offense, defense

"Didn't have a great night on the offensive glass. We did fight. We were spotty. Didn't get to the foul line. Didn't finish some drives through contact. We secured defensive rebounds and then got it knocked out of our hands.

"Breakdowns late on the ball screen play. They hit Brzovic on the lob. We had the chance to tie it at the line. Tejada had a decent look. He was sensational. He and Dylan made a lot of tough shots. Wish we could get easier shots. Whistle came out on Charles in the 2nd (assume 2nd foul?). Guys are hurting. Played hard against a terrific team. It's such an honor and a privilege to coach Charles.

His leadership and character. This one stings. As a human being and the type of person, you just don't find guys like that. We've been invited to some other tournaments. We have turned it down a few times. We had the summer and Canada. A lot of wear and tear. Think about it. Went toe to toe. Didn't close it. Our defense was awesome and our offense was inconsistent. A microcosm of how we've been this season on offense. Feel bad for the guys that worked so hard. Had three freshmen on the court late in the game. We'll learn from that."

6 minutes ago, Moleman1 said:

Tarke, Sulaiman and Paar combine for 2 points, and maybe 4 RBs.. 

That fumble every other handoff

5 minutes ago, DukeSilver said:

Zero composure. Zero intelligence. Bummer

Rinse wash repeat.  Same thing every year.  

3 minutes ago, ReverendRemulak said:

Unsurprising, and yet I’m still crushed. Another year, another “almost.”

If Steve had balls (he doesnt). A change would be made.  Longest tenured coach to never make a conf final

• Like 2

Up 7 with 4 minutes left.  
13-1 Charleston run 

Airballing the front end of a 1-1 should be a capital crime.  

Spiro sounded devastated and we all are for 33 years straight.  

Hand it off Pat.  You served and are counted.  We aren’t gonna win under you.  

• Like 2

Let's talk about the game. One of the things that Pat talked about at the end of the game was how he went four guards and he took out SuliaJones (4pts, 9rebs). That was fine but the fact that team went iso and stall ball the last 2:30 minutes but before that, it was dreadful, is a systematic problem. But let's delve more into this collapse.

*Defense was fantastic. In that first game, I thought Charleston put on a masterclass of offense. An absolute clinic wasn't good enough. They weren't horrible, but the Cougars were fantastic. I thought this game was the opposite. We held the best team in the conference and the best offense by far to 61 freakin' points. They shot 38.5% from the field and 7-of-23 from 3pt (30.4%). 

*The offense was pathetic down the stretch and wasn't that good during the game. But when Tarke (0-8 FG) and May (3-6 FG, 1-4 3pt, 0-1 FT) give you nothing on on offense, you relying on three freshmen. Those three freshmen struggled late in the game, but May had a chance to tie it and throws up an air ball. 

*Charles was good but played just 29 minutes due to foul trouble. Had 14 pts and 6 rebs with three blocks. That's the best he played possibly all season, but why did we stop going to him in the post in the last 10 minutes.

*The bench is fine but Paar really struggled late in the year. Maybe it's the knees, but the hands were rough as well. But having him playing even 11 minutes was a detriment. Hewas a -12 and May was a -16.

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Let's talk about the game. One of the things that Pat talked about at the end of the game was how he went four guards and he took out SuliaJones (4pts, 9rebs). That was fine but the fact that team went iso and stall ball the last 2:30 minutes but before that, it was dreadful, is a systematic problem. But let's delve more into this collapse.

*Defense was fantastic. In that first game, I thought Charleston put on a masterclass of offense. An absolute clinic wasn't good enough. They weren't horrible, but the Cougars were fantastic. I thought this game was the opposite. We held the best team in the conference and the best offense by far to 61 freakin' points. They shot 38.5% from the field and 7-of-23 from 3pt (30.4%). 

*The offense was pathetic down the stretch and wasn't that good during the game. But when Tarke (0-8 FG) and May (3-6 FG, 1-4 3pt, 0-1 FT) give you nothing on on offense, you relying on three freshmen. Those three freshmen struggled late in the game, but May had a chance to tie it and throws up an air ball. 

*Charles was good but played just 29 minutes due to foul trouble. Had 14 pts and 6 rebs with three blocks. That's the best he played possibly all season, but why did we stop going to him in the post in the last 10 minutes.

*The bench is fine but Paar really struggled late in the year. Maybe it's the knees, but the hands were rough as well. But having him playing even 11 minutes was a detriment. Hewas a -12 and May was a -16.

We wasted a truly great defensive performance. All game I was complaining that we would get a stop or TO and either turn it right back to CoC or chuck up a bad shot. The lack of a half court offense continues to be a major problem. I said it in the chat - we often look like a group of guys playing pickup who don’t really know each other. We just sort of play around until it’s time to shoot.

Vegas has just posted odds and we are at 10-1 to dance by the 2049-2050 Season.  
Today is my birthday 🎉 51.  I’ll take all the blame for this collapse.  Arrived in the Fall of 91’ and started this 33 year curse.  

No explanation needed.   We are Towson!  

• Haha 2