• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falters down the stretch, falls to No. 1 Charleston in semifinals 61-56

8 minutes ago, ReverendRemulak said:

We wasted a truly great defensive performance. All game I was complaining that we would get a stop or TO and either turn it right back to CoC or chuck up a bad shot. The lack of a half court offense continues to be a major problem. I said it in the chat - we often look like a group of guys playing pickup who don’t really know each other. We just sort of play around until it’s time to shoot.

It’s horrible coaching strategy that’s plagued Towson for close to 20 years. PK and skerry love(d) running stall ball, way to early.   

cue the excuses but this program is done until skerry is let go.  My season tickets will not be renewed. Won’t travel to away games anymore. I’m not even mad about this one, it was expected. I’m numb. Hopefully this new president takes a long hard look at Towson “athletics”. it shouldn’t be a charity case where you automatically get lifetime contracts. 

31 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Before I get to the recap, here are Pat's comments on a very long postgame on radio and not the press conference.

"We had a lead that kind of evaporated. We went four guards late because we were strugglig to score. We struggled to put the ball in the basket. A couple of turnovers. Pushed out on a couple of shots. Dylan, Tejada, CMay. Tried to go offense, defense

"Didn't have a great night on the offensive glass. We did fight. We were spotty. Didn't get to the foul line. Didn't finish some drives through contact. We secured defensive rebounds and then got it knocked out of our hands.

"Breakdowns late on the ball screen play. They hit Brzovic on the lob. We had the chance to tie it at the line. Tejada had a decent look. He was sensational. He and Dylan made a lot of tough shots. Wish we could get easier shots. Whistle came out on Charles in the 2nd (assume 2nd foul?). Guys are hurting. Played hard against a terrific team. It's such an honor and a privilege to coach Charles.

His leadership and character. This one stings. As a human being and the type of person, you just don't find guys like that. We've been invited to some other tournaments. We have turned it down a few times. We had the summer and Canada. A lot of wear and tear. Think about it. Went toe to toe. Didn't close it. Our defense was awesome and our offense was inconsistent. A microcosm of how we've been this season on offense. Feel bad for the guys that worked so hard. Had three freshmen on the court late in the game. We'll learn from that."

But nothing was asked why he didn’t run any sets in the last 4 minutes? Or why they didn’t go inside?  It’s nice he yammered on about Charles who was a good ambassador to the school and decent player for 5 years but we want answers to real f*cking questions. 
If there ever was a player that represented Towson basketball it is Charles Thompson.  Physical, tried hard most of the time, not highly skilled. Not highly coordinated, nice guy with no mean streak (until last 1.5 months) and unable to come through in thr clutch 

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

But nothing was asked why he didn’t run any sets in the last 4 minutes? Or why they didn’t go inside?  It’s nice he yammered on about Charles who was a good ambassador to the school and decent player for 5 years but we want answers to real f*cking questions. 
If there ever was a player that represented Towson basketball it is Charles Thompson.  Physical, tried hard most of the time, not highly skilled. Not highly coordinated, nice guy with no mean streak (until last 1.5 months) and unable to come through in thr clutch 

That’s not the press conference. There’s no radio guy that’s going to grill the head coach after the game. If I was there, I’d ask about playing not to lose.

It took all of about 3 minutes after this complete collapse before some people started mentioning the possibilities of “next year”.  Next year?? That’s laughable. 

There’s ZERO reason, !ZERO!, to believe that next year will be any different. Maybe 18 wins and get bounced in the quarter finals, or maybe 24 wins and semi-final tournament loss, who knows maybe a complete regression and only a 10 win season. Give Pat long enough and the bottom will completely fall out.

Wanna talk about tonight’s game? Let me refer back to something I brought up about two weeks ago. The need for a bona fide sports psychologist for this program. Case in point, air-balling a crucial free-throw attempt late in close game. How on earth do you completely miss the rim in that situation? That issue is entirely in the players head. The “yips” as golfers call it. We are a mentally fragile team. No amount of mediocre coaching from Pat Skerry is going to solve that problem. Bring in a professional shrink. 

• Like 2

Probably the most gut wrenching collapse I’ve seen live by Skerry. Says a lot because I’ve seen a lot of games. Should have been expected but still hurts 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

It took all of about 3 minutes after this complete collapse before some people started mentioning the possibilities of “next year”.  Next year?? That’s laughable. 

There’s ZERO reason, !ZERO!, to believe that next year will be any different. Maybe 18 wins and get bounced in the quarter finals, or maybe 24 wins and semi-final tournament loss, who knows maybe a complete regression and only a 10 win season. Give Pat long enough and the bottom will completely fall out.

Wanna talk about tonight’s game? Let me refer back to something I brought up about two weeks ago. The need for a bona fide sports psychologist for this program. Case in point, air-balling a crucial free-throw attempt late in close game. How on earth do you completely miss the rim in that situation? That issue is entirely in the players head. The “yips” as golfers call it. We are a mentally fragile team. No amount of mediocre coaching from Pat Skerry is going to solve that problem. Bring in a professional shrink. 

But but but, 3 straight 19 win or mores seasons!  Isn’t that something?! Some arbitrary number they pick to support their side.  

how about this, 13 straight seasons without making the final (I know more but just under the little shrill man).   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Up 7 with 4 minutes left.  
13-1 Charleston run 

Airballing the front end of a 1-1 should be a capital crime.  

Spiro sounded devastated and we all are for 33 years straight.  

Hand it off Pat.  You served and are counted.  We aren’t gonna win under you.  

Sorry for you especially to feel that way. You’ll change your tune in a day or two, mr positivity. 

you had to listen to spiro?  And with that loss? That sounds like torture. Granted he is slightly better than Pete Gillan and bother are better than Smokey pastos but still three of the worst out there!

Edited by TuTigers2012

I thought Jon Rothstein’s post-game analysis was great. Telling the audience Pat Skerry needs to go without explicitly saying Pat Skerry needs to go. Far too many golden opportunities over the years to capitalize on either superior talent (Benimon) or circumstances and never able to get it done, adding tonight’s game to that list. 

• Like 2