mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

His 8 year post high school career **

Well, it’s time for him to get an overseas contract 

46 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Kyle Smith to Stanford 

Danny Sprinkle to Washington 

Both guys make their teams all about family and it has paid off.  

Byington leaving Harrisonburg for Vanderbilt 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Byington leaving Harrisonburg for Vanderbilt 

This should be the natural evolution of things. Young up and comer has success at a mid-major, which he parlays into bigger job, but leaves the mid-major in a position to sustain success with a replacement up and comer. Somehow, this recipe didn’t work with Skerry. No coach who’s never even been to his conference tournament final should be entering year 14 at the same school, but I’m beating a dead horse here 

• Like 1

Some of you guys are ridiculous, but its the same thing year after year.  Look at Oakland University and Greg Kampe.  He began his career at Oakland in 1984 (granted they were D2 at the time) and he was at the school for 21 years and they first made the Tourney in 2005.  They have now made it 4 times in the last 20 years.

Jim Larranga was a head coach for 13 seasons (btwn Bowling Green and GM) before one of his teams first qualified for the Tourney.  His GM team then made it to the Tourney 5 times in the next 13 seasons before he left for Miami.

James Jones of Yale, his first season was 99-00 and in his 17th season his team first qualified.  His team has now made the Tourney 4 of the last 8 seasons.

In Pat's 13 seasons we have not yet made the Tourney, but that 2012-2013 team was good and I bet would have won the conference tournament had it not been for Pat Kennedy and the shit show we had in place before Skerry.  For Skerry's 13 seasons at TU (including that first one) we've had a winning record 9 of 13 seasons.  When we have good players they generally stay in the program and don't transfer out at the first opportunity.  Moreover, this year we have two players on the all-rookie team.  

What I'm trying to say is that good things come to those who wait.  He's been putting a pretty consistent/competitive team out on the Court and our time will come.  Skerry has made this team semi-relevant and he's the reason I actually care about TU sports again. (I graduated in 1999.)  Let the man work and support the fing team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BK_Brian said:

Some of you guys are ridiculous, but its the same thing year after year.  Look at Oakland University and Greg Kampe.  He began his career at Oakland in 1984 (granted they were D2 at the time) and he was at the school for 21 years and they first made the Tourney in 2005.  They have now made it 4 times in the last 20 years.

Jim Larranga was a head coach for 13 seasons (btwn Bowling Green and GM) before one of his teams first qualified for the Tourney.  His GM team then made it to the Tourney 5 times in the next 13 seasons before he left for Miami.

James Jones of Yale, his first season was 99-00 and in his 17th season his team first qualified.  His team has now made the Tourney 4 of the last 8 seasons.

In Pat's 13 seasons we have not yet made the Tourney, but that 2012-2013 team was good and I bet would have won the conference tournament had it not been for Pat Kennedy and the shit show we had in place before Skerry.  For Skerry's 13 seasons at TU (including that first one) we've had a winning record 9 of 13 seasons.  When we have good players they generally stay in the program and don't transfer out at the first opportunity.  Moreover, this year we have two players on the all-rookie team.  

What I'm trying to say is that good things come to those who wait.  He's been putting a pretty consistent/competitive team out on the Court and our time will come.  Skerry has made this team semi-relevant and he's the reason I actually care about TU sports again. (I graduated in 1999.)  Let the man work and support the fucking team.

3 outlier examples out of hundreds upon hundreds of coaches. 

Good things might come to an extremely small (see microscopic) group of coaches, but, with all due respect, that argument is weak tea. If you want to settle for 6-12 in the conference tournament, without ever having played in the title tournament game, god bless you. I’ve let the man work and support the F’ing team with yearly season tickets, TAF and NIL donor. If this is his best, his best ain’t good enough.

Good grief. “Good things come to those who wait”? That’s the defense of this guy? If I wait much longer, I’ll be watching from behind the pearly gates (I hope)

When does this ceaseless argument, from his small handful of supporters, about Pat Kennedy, have an expiration date!!!

Unbelievable 

• Like 2