• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

On 3/30/2024 at 10:43 AM, Tgr4life said:

38-16 is equal to the Orioles dominating Spring Training....just something meaningless to talk about

I mean at the end of the day you are right about the playoffs generally, but as an Orioles fan it was pretty damn cool to enjoy every game of the season where they won over 100 games for the first time since 1980. I didn't think at the end of the year this is a failure because we didn't win the World Series. I did think if I look back in 5-6 years and the Orioles haven't won the World Series I will be bitterly disappointed, and this is the beginning of the window (which is I guess where we are at with Skerry, which I understand).

Of course, sports is weird and things can always go wrong. You aren't guaranteed 100-win seasons every year or winning conference seasons. To me that is why you have to enjoy every season for what it is every year, and then shift to a postseason mindset and look back at the end of the year collectively as to whether you enjoyed it as a fan. I was seven the last time the Orioles won 1983, and I want to be on this earth when they win the next one. However, 1989, 1996, 1997, 2012, 2014 and last year were damn fun. Championship or not.

I still also enjoy the fact that Towson is one of the better teams in this conference. Do I want to see them make an NCAA Tournament (a real one before it expands) while I am on this Earth. Not only that, but I would like this program to be good enough to have a shot to pull and upset or two. I still demand that from this program. At the same time, whether it is the Orioles or Towson being a good team throughout the regular season is a helluva a lot more enjoyable than being bad.

Both the Orioles and Tigers have given me enough crap that while I don't accept just being good, but it is much better than the other option. What I don't think you guys understand about us quote unquote old timers is we demand every bit as much if not more than you guys do from this program.

To me there are levels of success we can get certain levels of satisfaction from. Being a program that consistently has a good record in conference is one of them for me. Am I fully happy with the program. No, it sucks watching the first week of the NCAA Tournament seeing teams do what I would us to do. That is where I want to be, but it is lot easier and realistic to accomplish that goal when you finish fifth, third or tied for first in the conference than it is when you finish eighth or lower (I know it is still possible). Just like playing well in non-conference play and conference play set us up to be a better seed in the NCAA Tournament so when the miracle of us making it actually happens we can be a 13 or a 14 with some change rather than lamb-to-the-slaughter No. 16 seed. All I am saying is all this stuff is inter-related and it is important to be good at all of it to maximize our enjoyment as fans. I don't really get why that seems like settling for mediocrity. 

2 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

You can call it whatever you like. The bottom line is those games are fun to watch if you love the sport, but in the end, your season is judged by the playoffs. Advancing to the Regionals is what defines your season. 

I've learned on here that they OOC and the regular season conferenced games count, IF we win. If not, they are not important and it is just for March. It is fluid with these fans on here.  Whatever fits.

Playoffs/Postseason is what counts and remembered. Though considering the graduations from last season, and loss of Watson, (add in the bad offense and sporadic play), this past season could be considered a success and was pretty fun. Now knowing that we blew a large late lead to finally make it to a final, makes you think, but hindsight is 20/20.  With that said, 2022-2023 season was a complete failure as we did not win the league, tournament or even make a final with a returning team.

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I mean at the end of the day you are right about the playoffs generally, but as an Orioles fan it was pretty damn cool to enjoy every game of the season where they won over 100 games for the first time since 1980. I didn't think at the end of the year this is a failure because we didn't win the World Series. I did think if I look back in 5-6 years and the Orioles haven't won the World Series I will be bitterly disappointed, and this is the beginning of the window (which is I guess where we are at with Skerry, which I understand).

Of course, sports is weird and things can always go wrong. You aren't guaranteed 100-win seasons every year or winning conference seasons. To me that is why you have to enjoy every season for what it is every year, and then shift to a postseason mindset and look back at the end of the year collectively as to whether you enjoyed it as a fan. I was seven the last time the Orioles won 1983, and I want to be on this earth when they win the next one. However, 1989, 1996, 1997, 2012, 2014 and last year were damn fun. Championship or not.

I still also enjoy the fact that Towson is one of the better teams in this conference. Do I want to see them make an NCAA Tournament (a real one before it expands) while I am on this Earth. Not only that, but I would like this program to be good enough to have a shot to pull and upset or two. I still demand that from this program. At the same time, whether it is the Orioles or Towson being a good team throughout the regular season is a helluva a lot more enjoyable than being bad.

Both the Orioles and Tigers have given me enough crap that while I don't accept just being good, but it is much better than the other option. What I don't think you guys understand about us quote unquote old timers is we demand every bit as much if not more than you guys do from this program.

To me there are levels of success we can get certain levels of satisfaction from. Being a program that consistently has a good record in conference is one of them for me. Am I fully happy with the program. No, it sucks watching the first week of the NCAA Tournament seeing teams do what I would us to do. That is where I want to be, but it is lot easier and realistic to accomplish that goal when you finish fifth, third or tied for first in the conference than it is when you finish eighth or lower (I know it is still possible). Just like playing well in non-conference play and conference play set us up to be a better seed in the NCAA Tournament so when the miracle of us making it actually happens we can be a 13 or a 14 with some change rather than lamb-to-the-slaughter No. 16 seed. All I am saying is all this stuff is inter-related and it is important to be good at all of it to maximize our enjoyment as fans. I don't really get why that seems like settling for mediocrity. 

You make several good points and I understand all of it. BTW, I am one of the "old timers" having been going to O's games since the mid 50's.......I still love the early 60's when they were chasing the Yanikees....but that was for them, a first step. My point here is that it is not Skerry's first step. I think we both are seeing the same thing, but one of us (and I congratulate you for being the one) is more tolerant than the other. ....lol

52 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I've learned on here that they OOC and the regular season conferenced games count, IF we win. If not, they are not important and it is just for March. It is fluid with these fans on here.  Whatever fits.

This debate, if there really is on, on the importance of OOC games and regular season conference games, is mildly amusing to me. OOC games are only important to the extent that they put $ in our coffers and perhaps get the team ready for conference play. Regular season conference games are important to the extent of determining tournament seeding. But, to mix metaphors, you play for show, you putt for dough. Meaning, that at the end of the day, in a 1-bid league, it really does boil down to 3-5 days in March, notwithstanding where you finish in the regular season 

21 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

This debate, if there really is on, on the importance of OOC games and regular season conference games, is mildly amusing to me. OOC games are only important to the extent that they put $ in our coffers and perhaps get the team ready for conference play. Regular season conference games are important to the extent of determining tournament seeding. But, to mix metaphors, you play for show, you putt for dough. Meaning, that at the end of the day, in a 1-bid league, it really does boil down to 3-5 days in March, notwithstanding where you finish in the regular season 

I'm in agreement with you on that.  With a normal program, the OOC prepares you for the conference regular season, which should help your seeding for the conference tournament. which should help you have, theoretically, and easier path to the bid. 

And while I’m at it, to those who worship at the altar of a 20 W season, 6 out the 14 schools in the conference (I wasn’t a math major, but I believe that’s close to half) finished with 20 or more W’s; 1 school finished with 19, and another with 18.

So, while 20 W’s is nice, it’s not the gold standard some make it out to be. Does it beat winning 12-13 games? Of course. But in and of itself, it’s of little significance if not part of a regular season crown 👑 or conference tournament title 

23 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

And while I’m at it, to those who worship at the altar of a 20 W season, 6 out the 14 schools in the conference (I wasn’t a math major, but I believe that’s close to half) finished with 20 or more W’s; 1 school finished with 19, and another with 18.

So, while 20 W’s is nice, it’s not the gold standard some make it out to be. Does it beat winning 12-13 games? Of course. But in and of itself, it’s of little significance if not part of a regular season crown 👑 or conference tournament title 

😂, shhhhh...

54 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I have two points where I would challenge your post. 

From 1996-97 through 2011-12 we finished higher than 7th in the conference twice, went to one conference tournament semifinal and were ever were above .500. Since 2012-13, we have finished over .500 10 times, have been fifth or better 10 times, and advanced to five semifinals. I completely agree with you all that none of it is acceptable without an NCAA Tournament berth. However, at least I have optimism that we can be a good team and try to avoid choking as opposed to knowing we would be one of the worst teams in the conference and would have not shot to be in the mix come conference tournament time. This is not meant to be sticking up Skerry, because I would agree while I appreciate what he has done we overdue for a tournament appearance (heck, I think he would admit it too). However, I am just saying from a fan's standpoint it has been much easier to root for and travel to see games know we at least have a decent to good squad most years. 

This last point would have more ground to stand on if our conference could ever win a conference tournament game, but admittedly at this point it is hypothetical exercise because how pathetic it has been. Based on your points of winning it all being the only result that matters, I would say conference play and non-conference play matter even more. If the goal is to get to an NCAA Tournament, then it should also be to be seeded as good as possible to have the best possible chance to win and accomplish as much as possible. The year Drexel and Delaware made it they had flimsy resumes and got 16 and 15 seeds where they got crushed. Charleston has managed to get 13 and 14, and even a 12 seed. This theoretically gives them a better chance to do well and if our conference wasn't such a joke in NCAA Tournament play this would make a difference. To get a better seed, you have to play well in the regular-season (especially in a one-bid-league). 

Again, I don't say this to stick up for any particular coach or administrator, or to "accept mediocrity". To me, it is just common sense that to get to where we want to be as fans, this program needs to play well in non-conference play, be good in CAA play, and win in the conference tournament. We are 1 for 3 for the most part  recently. Not acceptable, but better than 0-3. Whether it is with or without this coach, we need to figure out the other two elements. How we all perceive the journey to get there is merely a matter of opinion. 

44 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

This does not exist. You merely make this up that there are those (on this board at least) who celebrate this. It might be mentioned as a stat, and we might even say it is better than sucking. However, I don't think anyone views this as having arrived where we need to be as a program. This is where I think you put some of those words in people's mouths. We probably put words in your mouths that might not be fair too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

This does not exist. You merely make this up that there are those (on this board at least) who celebrate this. It might be mentioned as a stat, and we might even say it is better than sucking. However, I don't think anyone views this as having arrived where we need to be as a program. This is where I think you put some of those words in people's mouths. We probably put words in your mouths that might not be fair too. 

There are at least two posters who have recently posted, either explicitly or implicitly, that 20 W’s is a sign of success, regardless of how we do in the postseason.I’lll thank you to do your research better moving forward before you accuse me of making things up & putting words in peoples mouths 

• Like 1