• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General Basketball Thread for 2024-25

IUPUI transfer announced today on the website. Averaged 6.4 ppg and 3.3 rpg. Not very impressive stats. But of course PS raves about him as a “great addition” to the program. Sounds to me like a lot of other offensively challenged players we’ve brought in.

37 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

IUPUI transfer announced today on the website. Averaged 6.4 ppg and 3.3 rpg. Not very impressive stats. But of course PS raves about him as a “great addition” to the program. Sounds to me like a lot of other offensively challenged players we’ve brought in.

Maybe he’s George Hill 2.0 😉

It’s a money 💰 grab right now to land many transfers.  We have a budget and this kid assuming fell into that specific budget. 

I think it is a safe bet this kid works out for us.  We are due 😉

18 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Maybe he’s George Hill 2.0 😉

It’s a money 💰 grab right now to land many transfers.  We have a budget and this kid assuming fell into that specific budget. 

I think it is a safe bet this kid works out for us.  We are due 😉

I think it’s important to keep in perspective what the expectations are of this kid. Realistically, his role is going to be to backup Embaya. If the incoming freshman is as advertised, Samb is maybe going to play around 15mpg. Anyone expecting him to come in an avg double digits is probably in for a disappointment.  Time for a reality check…the days of us bringing in a double digit D1 scorer through the portal (like Cam Holden) are over, absent an infusion of NIL money. The new formula is going to have to be hit on the freshman recruits and dumpster diving in the portal. Of course, if we do hit on a freshman, it’s highly debatable he’ll stay with us for more than 2 seasons, maximum. Sorry, but welcome to the post-NIL landscape for schools who are cash strapped as far as NIL funding goes 

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I think it’s important to keep in perspective what the expectations are of this kid. Realistically, his role is going to be to backup Embaya. If the incoming freshman is as advertised, Samb is maybe going to play around 15mpg. Anyone expecting him to come in an avg double digits is probably in for a disappointment.  Time for a reality check…the days of us bringing in a double digit D1 scorer through the portal (like Cam Holden) are over, absent an infusion of NIL money. The new formula is going to have to be hit on the freshman recruits and dumpster diving in the portal. Of course, if we do hit on a freshman, it’s highly debatable he’ll stay with us for more than 2 seasons, maximum. Sorry, but welcome to the post-NIL landscape for schools who are cash strapped as far as NIL funding goes 

Unless skerry is really turning over a new leaf, I wouldn’t expect the freshmen to start atleast not for a while. 
I don’t think this is a good pick up at all but he’s not replacing a star. (Yes he was a leader and had intangibles etc) but if he can average 6-7 points and 6 rebounds, block a few shots here and there and defend and hedge.  It’s fine 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

if he can average 6-7 points and 6 rebounds, block a few shots here and there and defend and hedge.  It’s fine 

Exactly 

6 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Unless skerry is really turning over a new leaf, I wouldn’t expect the freshmen to start atleast not for a while. 

DWill, Lowery and Tejada all played significant minutes last season. While I have no idea if Ndefo will follow suit this season, the expectation is for Embeya to be a plug and play, from day 1. 

53 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

DWill, Lowery and Tejada all played significant minutes last season. While I have no idea if Ndefo will follow suit this season, the expectation is for Embeya to be a plug and play, from day 1. 

Bigs usually take longer so I’d love to see Embeya from day 1 but I’m not expecting him to play the minutes our diaper dandies played in the non conference part of the schedule this past season.  
PS- Has anyone booked their flight ✈️ yet for Dayton on March 17th???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

The first two had to play due to Injury. Not saying they wouldn’t have anyway but.  Again I’ll believe it when I see it (like with Tejada)

16 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Bigs usually take longer so I’d love to see Embeya from day 1 but I’m not expecting him to play the minutes our diaper dandies played in the non conference part of the schedule this past season.  
PS- Has anyone booked their flight ✈️ yet for Dayton on March 17th???

Yup, they do. 

caa will be a PIG special when cougars leave

• Like 1

Tejada-Rookie of the Year. Williamson on All-Rookie team. Ndefo doesn't need to start but Embeya will play significant minutes barring something unforeseen like an injury. It's a new era due to NIL and some freshmen will start depending on the situation and if they're ready. We're just not going to get starting-quality transfers until there is enough NIL.

• Like 1