• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

The Seniors

Most of Pat's recruits have been high character guys. Pat Skerry, not Pat Kennedy obviously. I think the hope that Eddie would become that guy. Mike is quiet, Brian and DeShaun had only been here 2-3 years. Eddie is not quiet, but he's spent too much time arguing with the refs and his teammates. That's my disappointment. Not just the lack of leadership but lack of sacrifice on both ends. I had them third in the CAA, which looked pretty good and something happened late in the 10-game winning streak. I don't know if was all that travel and too much togetherness but I'll have another post about their conference issues.

• Like 1

Could of & should of is loser’s talk, but we could have potentially been 13-5 in conference, rather than 8-10. I’m referring to the Elon, UNCW, & JMU road games, & the Hofstra & JMU home games. And this from a team with so-so PG play, very little inside scoring presence, and the loss during the season of 2 players from what was a very deep 10-man rotation. 

This is one of the reasons I’m bullish on the potential of next season, though I agree with TU2012, who has pointed out that the overwhelming number of top players on other teams in the conference are underclassmen, meaning we’ve really got to step our game up 

13 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Could of & should of is loser’s talk, but we could have potentially been 13-5 in conference, rather than 8-10. I’m referring to the Elon, UNCW, & JMU road games, & the Hofstra & JMU home games. And this from a team with so-so PG play, very little inside scoring presence, and the loss during the season of 2 players from what was a very deep 10-man rotation. 

This is one of the reasons I’m bullish on the potential of next season, though I agree with TU2012, who has pointed out that the overwhelming number of top players on other teams in the conference are underclassmen, meaning we’ve really got to step our game up 

You could say the same thing every year about the returning players. That's what he'll harp on but this year was supposed to be different with UNCW losing everybody and their coach. Hofstra and NE were the only teams that really overachieved (W&M slightly though we knew Knight would be a beast). You can't tell me that Elon wasn't as disappointing if not more than us. Delaware would have been better had Daly stayed healthy and Anderson was also off the team.

And that's why this class was disappointing. The most in my time covering the team and yes, the Benimon squad choked in the semis in Baltimore but still went on to win two more postseason games. One thing that team didn't have was depth. This team did and still can go 8 with Starr in there with McNeill, Thomas/Keith and Tunstall off the bench.

No question Elon was the biggest flop this year, which makes losing to them 2X really disappointing. Aren’t they opening a new arena next year? Wonder if their coach might be on the hot seat 💺?  Also wonder if C of C’s coach might get poached.

Good point about Elon but I think they give Matheny another year or two. He's done a nice after their move from the Southern Conference and they had a great home record. I do think the CofC could lose Earl Grant if they win the trny. They went from 25 wins last season and the NIT to a possible NCAA bid. He's also just 40.

Come to think of it, isn’t Skerry the 3rd most tenured coach in the conference, behind only Shaver & Coen? Just goes to show how mercurial & nomadic of a job D1 basketball coaching is

WM Greatly overachieved. They lost two of their best players in school history plus some late transfers. They also got blown out opening night by high point. 

If teams schedule well for next year, the caa will be the best since odu Vcu and mason left. 

Matheny is under 500 in his career. Something like 12 years. He probably gets canned. The must have money and their AD fired football coach after just 3 years.  Must be nice!

You’re absolutely right about W&M. They lost Pruett & Dixon & Malinowski & Whitman (over 40 points a game!!) & were picked to finish near the bottom of the conference. Instead, they’re one of the highest scoring & best shooting teams in the nation, & they have a nice recruiting class coming in. 

I’m naturally a glass half empty guy, at least when it comes to TU sports. I just don’t see us beating them 3X in one season. 

As for Elon, it’s a wealthy private school, so they probably do have the $

Again, W&M has a system and they had Knight along with players that hadn't really had a chance to play, just waiting for the shot. They are going to compete every year with Shaver. They just need to add a few defenders. You could say Northeastern is similar with their system. They get big guards and they defend well. Either way, give credit to those squads along with Hofstra for overachieving.

Have no idea what Elon is going to do but just looking at how they've played down the stretch, even with Dawkins is back, that could be fire-worthy. Losing five straight and not even competing.

I truly thank our seniors for making the commitment to play at Towson.  It may sound cliche but they had other choices but they chose us.  Sure we are disappointed but they served and are counted for.  

We have talented underclassman and when I spoke to Clark in the Towson Center about the freshman Dottin coming in next season being an impact PG right away and he winked and said he’s really gonna be in the mix.  

Like what Matt pointed out about getting another 2 guard and moving Zane to the 3.  Absolutely.   

If we lacked some leadership this season then maybe we need a graduate transfer from a BCS school whose had success in their conference tournament and if lucky has been to the dance.  And I’m not saying this has to be a scorer of any sorts.  A glue guy who takes charges and sets hard screens and passes the ball and wants to win and irritates the opposing team.  Parker was like that... tenacious..  gave 110% all the time.  EK showed signs of it each season.  Hope this makes sense.

The theme from day one this season was that we were super deep and that guys would have to sacrifice minutes and points for the better of the team.  We did early on but then kinda fell apart.  

We need that Joe Dumars type of player that can score when we need him to but also is happy to play off of Zane and others.

These “2” ships could really make or break us for the next 3 seasons as crazy as that sounds.  

Laetner or Grant Hill is knocking walking through that door but we need a player who wants to win at all costs and brings an air of confidence to the floor.