• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Layups and free throws win basketball games. Retrievers struggled in both categories. However, as hungry a team as you ever want to see. Bet they can get some good OOC games.

10 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I was right when I said 1st team to 45 wins. Kudos to UMBC. So ends the Odom era. Maybe one day we’ll go dancing

I didn't realize Lyles was at Robert Morris for a second. We need a guy like that to get us to the next level, even though he's not a true point guard. He's a veteran who loved the pressure but missed those two free throws late. UMBC went out fighting at least needed Lyles to carry them. He just didn't have anything left.

I wonder where Odom will go. Who the hell would want Pittsburgh now.

8 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

Layups and free throws win basketball games. Retrievers struggled in both categories. However, as hungry a team as you ever want to see. Bet they can get some good OOC games.

Kansas State was more than beatable. That defensive effort was fantastic but I think they left it all on that side of the floor. Lyle had nothing left. I knew they were up till 5am after the game Friday and it showed. 

Odom is in an interesting position. He may never be such a hot commodity again as he is now. If he stays at UMBC, he might not catch lightning in a bottle again. Sort of reminds me of where we were with Ambrose a few years ago. If Odom stays, he should be able to land some better recruits, assuming they have any openings left to fill

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Kansas State was more than beatable. That defensive effort was fantastic but I think they left it all on that side of the floor. Lyle had nothing left. I knew they were up till 5am after the game Friday and it showed. 

Could not agree more. Poor free throw shooting was the difference. No question, the tank was on empty. Even missing open threes, they could have won with good free throw shooting

They were within 1 or 3 of K State for 6 or 7 minutes and they couldn't buy a bucket.  They gave in to the epidemic throughout college basketball today of getting into the lane and then pitching it out instead of pulling up for a nice 12-foot jumper.  Instead, they're chucking 3s.  Great effort but it was certainly there for them tonite.

15 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Watching Lyles at the charity stripe tonight, I thought I was watching ZM for a minute. He missed 3 

He's an 80% FT shooter, not a 70%. Big difference was that he had no legs. Had cramps late in Friday's game and I don't think he recovered.

8 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

They were within 1 or 3 of K State for 6 or 7 minutes and they couldn't buy a bucket.  They gave in to the epidemic throughout college basketball today of getting into the lane and then pitching it out instead of pulling up for a nice 12-foot jumper.  Instead, they're chucking 3s.  Great effort but it was certainly there for them tonite.

That's today's game, love it or hate it. Metrics say that a corner three is better than a post up. A long 2 is not a good shot. Nobody really practices a mid-range shot. It's a 3-pointer or drive.