• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Tiger1stRow

Zane Martin asks for release

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but it appears Byron Hawkins is transferring from Murray State.  Clearly it's not just a TU problem, but more of an issue across the board.  

Being a college basketball coach must have been stressful enough convincing high school kids to come to your program, coaching them to win and overseeing your staff to make sure they kids are going to classes and not getting into trouble.  Now, you have to deal with grad transfers and everything else.

Definitely not a Towson specific issue.  

Souley Boum (all freshman WCC selection) is leaving the University of SF after a great freshman season where he averaged 11 a game on a 20+ win team with only one graduating senior and a home schedule next season that features Stanford & Arizona State in addition to of course Gonzaga.  

Who knows anymore what makes some of these kids tick!!??  Winning sure isn’t always the desire and that is blatantly evident more and more. 

If a coach gets fired or you just didn’t fit the program then by all means but in this situation it’s a kid who wants to play up for a bigger school and more importantly doesn’t want to risk not starting as a sophomore.

So again I have a lot of respect for college coaches these days. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

Worst thing that can happen if you’re a low-to-mid major is for a freshman to have a good season. You can bet, someone will whisper in his ear he’s too good for whatever school he’s at, & he should transfer. OTOH, if a freshman doesn’t get the PT he believes he’s entitled to, he will also look to transfer.

I think I heard there are something like 800 players who have announced they’re transferring from the school they were at least season. There are only like 330-350 D1 teams in the whole country. That means, on average over 2 kids are transferring from every D1 school in the country. 

You’re now seeing kids (Hawkins will probably be one; McGlynn & Astroth were others) playing for 3 different D1 schools. Ridiculous!! This grad transfer rule is a farce-while I don’t have the stats to back my theory up, I suspect very few of these kids are actually getting their masters degree. We all know it’s just a front for squeezing out another year to play ball at a different school. 

Part of the problem, IMHO, is this generation of kids-many are self-centered & have been pampered for years, due to their athletic skills. The second things don’t go the way they think it should, they’re going to sulk & pout  & transfer. Or, if they excel on the court, many will dump the program that nurtured them for greener pastures. Call me a curmudgeon, but that’s how I see it. Now you kids get off my lawn!!!

Edited by TSU88
  • Like 1

He also has 3 years of eligibility remaining, rather than a normal JUCO who has 2. Averaged over 13ppg & shot over 50% from the field. Per verbal commits, he has 8 offers/schools interested. Maybe a Marcus Damas type?

32 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

He also has 3 years of eligibility remaining, rather than a normal JUCO who has 2. Averaged over 13ppg & shot over 50% from the field. Per verbal commits, he has 8 offers/schools interested. Maybe a Marcus Damas type?

Hopefully a little better shooter. Damas was very raw when we got him but he was athletic and could really defend. He had some big games for us. At this point, I don't know if there are other better options out there.