• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

CAA title game lax blog

Spencer scores on another long shot past Brennan. Not sure he saw that one. 12-8 and season coming to an end very shortly.

Not a surprise. This is not an NCAA Tournament team. We're fortunate to be in the final. Attack is the weakest I've seen since covering the team since 1990. I think it's tough to win when you don't score in transition or don't even try.

Maloof throws it away with 3:41 left. That typifies the season. Although I think we only had 6 or 7 turnover sin this game. Offense was pretty offensive most of the year and that was the big issue. D was good enough to win with. Not great but good. Suspensions were devastating but give UMass credit, they were the best team. 

It's over. Congrats to UMass. They were the best team all year in the CAA. We need an upgrade on offense. Need more physical players on attack and more speed on midfield.

You're certainly right that this wasn't a tournament team this year.  One of the stats I checked out prior to the game was EMOs and found that the disparity between how much we scored versus how much we let up was pretty big.  I don't know what the median is for lacrosse as a whole but I've gotta think that scoring less than 30% of the time you're a man-up is a big crutch for your offense.

I respect Coach for sticking to his guns and instilling the discipline on the team.  Hope those who got dinged learned their lesson and can get it back for next season.

It was easy to jump on the Nadelen bandwagon last year. Getting this team to the finals reinforces how outstanding and principled a coach he is. Exceptionally lucky to have him represent the Tigers.

I don't know what our recruiting class looks like for next year, but we need offensive firepower. We didn't build on the platform Drenner/Seider et al. put in place. Hopefully, Nads and crew come back hungry. 

31 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

I don't know what our recruiting class looks like for next year, but we need offensive firepower. We didn't build on the platform Drenner/Seider et al. put in place. Hopefully, Nads and crew come back hungry. 

I wish there was a Scout or Rivals or lacrosse. We obviously missed Drenner and Seider, but Mike Lynch was very underrated. He was fast with strong shots from both sides. Tyler Young also brought great speed. Our middies are more big and lumbering and they need somebody to set them up.

The transfer route obviously didn't work this year. Thought Chetner got better as the season went on but Monahan really struggled. I would move him to attack. Chetner graduates. Johnny G. was ok at times but he's limited size-wise and athleticially. He sat out last season due to injury after coming over from Loyola. I didn't see enough from Brody Mclean, the Canadian transfer from StonyBrook. He's only a soph., so he has two years left. Seems like basically a crease attackman. 

If Mazza returns, I'd have Monahan, Mazza and some other attackman either a transfer or freshman. Wies has to get much stronger. He just gets pushed off the ball to easily. At midfield, Sovero, Sunday, and Maloof are fine. 

From what I hear, Logan Zimroch is a big-time player from St. Paul's.

https://www.connectlax.com/collegeteam/male-d1-at-towson_university

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/2794

Sean Mooney, another big athletic kid from Kent Island. I like that he's 6-1, 192 and played football. Also Alex Reid from Loyola Blakefield, though he's just 5-7, 165, 

https://wrww.hudl.com/profile/4874576/Sean-Mooney

A couple of more guys going to Towson next season

Ryan Swain, M, Breakers 2018 / Calvert Hall (Md.) 
I could not help but be impressed by Swain’s skills – he’s a nonstop player and controls the game all-over the field. Really showed a lot of versatility with his two goals. The first was a goalie outlet and ran the full length of the field and then scored, followed by a great dodge turned inside roll.

Garrett Zungailia '18, D, Calvert Hall (Md.) / @FCA_MD_Lax committed to @Towson_MLAX. 6-foot-4 lefty has been playing with confidence as of late: https://recruitingrundown.com/2017/11/21/breaking-down-over-40-standouts-from-the-fall-national-high-school-lacrosse-showcase/

Garrett Zungailia, D, 2018 – The tall lefty defenseman showed good instincts in covering his man and playing team defense. He showed an athletic play in the middle of the field by picking off a clearing attempt and bringing it back to initiate the CHC offense.