• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football picked 10th in CAA

Good motivation for the program going into the year. I am not saying I expected us to be in the upper half, but No. 10 seemed low upon first glance. I guess I thought we would slide in around No. 8 ahead of Maine and Stony Brook as well. We were picked No. 11 in the conference in 2011. Hopefully, we can get back to having the chip on our shoulder that we had when everyone thought we sucked and we had to prove ourselves to the conference. 

I think we should have been rank about 8th or maybe even 7th but I think because of the fact that the teams we beat were not good last year everybody we lost games too were good I stand corrected Delaware wasn't that good

I'm cautiously optimistic. RA was as excited about the newcomers as I've ever seen him. Just think that most of these impact players on the offensive line (Zane V, Francis), at wide receiver (the three transfers, Richardson, Jabari Allen), running back, secondary, linebacker (Parker, Konate), etc are unknown to the media. The new defensive scheme and new DC is a big addition.

But it goes back to Mahalak. With him as starting quarterback, we're 4-1 last season (ok, he didn't finish the STF game). Most of those seven losses were close ones (Dartmouth, Stony Brook, Richmond) or we were at least competitive (Delaware, UNH). With Morgan, we probably win those close games. Now Ellis is a 260-pound tight end. Our offensive line is going to average around 315 pounds. Back to smash mouth football.

Don't follow football nearly as much as I do basketball, but it's definitely disappointing to see us picked 10th in the pre-season.  It's disappointing to see Maine, Stony Brook and Albany ranked ahead of us.  Gotta believe we spend more on football than Maine and Albany, but that doesn't always equate to more wins than losses.  Hoping to see us in top 5 and back in the post-season this year. I thought for sure that we'd be able remain a top contender in the conference for years to come after our trip to the final.  Let's hope we right the ship and get back on track.

I wouldn't worry about where we were picked. In 2011, we were picked 11th and won the league. But that was understandable due to our lack of success in the league. I'd rather be picked 10th then a more realistic 6th or 7th.