• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Quotes from Delaware game

(Sorry guys for getting this up late. I had to take a call. I always want to win that Delaware game more than ever. The press box is great if you are 100 pounds and anorexic. No heat. No WiFi. They took my umbrella before the game and why the hell would I need one in the press box. But fortunately it was there when I walked out. So it's never a pleasant experience going up there with the short drive. So here are the quotes.)

Ambrose Opening statement
Congratulate Danny and Delaware. Heck of a ballgame. This is really just another Towson-Delaware game. We're hurting a little bit and we earned the right to hurt a little bit. We made too many mistakes against a really good football team.

On defense in second half
Didn't take care of the little things. Talked about it halftime and decided not to do it. What did we give up, 30-some\
points in the second half? I'd say we didn't take care of the little things.

On Red Zone issues
We did not make the best of our opportunities. We settled for field goals instead of touchdowns when we had a chance to 
score a lot of points. The goal is to score more than them. One guy made a mistake on each and every one of those plays. As an offense, you need 11 guys to do everything right and we didn't do it. We battened down the hatches a little bit and picked it up. It's gotta be important before it's important.

On Shane Simpson
He played lights out. Ran very hard. We did it with two tailbacks because Kobe Young was hurt. That put more pressure on him and he responded.

On Brent Richardson
Next play. Same thing you tell a corner when he gets beat. Next play. These are good kids, they'll respond accordingly.

On whether he was surprised they kicked to Simpson on the final kick
Yeah. I'm grateful. I wonder if he was trying to get a touchback.

On squib kick
There's 2 minutes left to go in the game and we're trying to run the clock. If we don't give up a triple. It takes a team to win the ballgame and takes a team to lose the ballgame. One play doesn't explain it all.

On weather
A little bit. For us, it was a factor. Going into this game, you would have never thought we be able to stifle their running game and they would have had a chance to beat us. That speaks well to their coaches. Their staff adapted really well and put their kids in position to win. Truth be told, I got outcoached today. I'll owe that.

On Flacco
They were only rushing three, dropping eight. That means you get to stand back there a long time but the holes are small.

On late in the game
It's the type of team we have. We're not going to be done playing until they tell us we're done. We have good players, we put them in to be successful. Sometimes the ball doesn't always bounce the way you want it to. It's not about what happens, it's how you respond.

On 2013 Delaware loss compared to this as an eye-opener
From my perspective, I hope so. It's a good football. It's a top 25 football team. The margin for error against teams that good is very small. When you are championship team, a very good team, you don't get tired about doing the little things. We don't have enough experience with that yet, but we're learning.

Hard to win on the road.  Even more difficult when the refs were bad and you didn’t play near your best game. 

Defense needs to step up and get some pressure (not getting held and tackled on every play would help) 

also I see the chicken fans are upset “Towson players walked off without shaking hands”. I left shortly after the last play but the entire Delaware team stormed the field and swarmed the end zone... their fans were also extremely inhospitbilie to say the least. But I guess we  can’t blame them this was that programs biggest win in a decade 

I thought the refs were bad both ways. We got some calls that Delaware fans couldn't believe since they used to get those at home. Not sure about the hold on Rusolillo, seems like they were trying to make up a few against them. As for not shaking hands, I don't know what you expect when you lose a game that way and everybody is going crazy as if they beat Alabama or ND State. But they beat us again, just like they did in 2013 when they stole one. Their GoHens.net boards were right about picking on our weakness, which was the secondary. 

I like this team but it's unrealistic to think you have to score 40 or 50 every game to win because you can't cover guys on D. If that's not rectified along with an improved pass rush, the Hens will be dancing and we'll be at home. There were also plays in the back of the end zone where Kehoe threw a perfect pass but the LBs or DBs couldn't get a freakin' hand on the ball. Why are we leaving guys open in the red zone but Delaware is covering everybody. It's not just that they are playing coverage or is it?

We had 9 penalties and they had 3. Now I see the disparity. The way the Hens' fans were complaining, you would have thought they had committed 20.

They were also 7 of 11 on third downs. Wow. Just awful.

Even Albany took advantage of our secondary; after this game, all of our opponents will try to do the same thing. We can't order up better players, so the DC needs to come up with a game plan to limit the damage.

You can work on all the defense you want.  The way this team is going to beat good teams is out scoring.  Anyone watching this game knew settling for those field goals was a looming problem.  We have been gashed with big plays the entire season by every single opponent.  However we have such a potent offense that we still prevail.  Nevertheless, that was an easy catch in the end zone to win the game.  A lot of pressure but a soft pass right on the money.  As much as we got gashed on defense, we still were there at the end with a pass on the money, in the end zone and the game would have been won.  We still have the talent to come back and win this game.  We should have won this right at the end and sometimes that happens.  Just a tough loss. 

I am more concerned with our offense breaking down in the red zone because that I think can be better.  I want the defense to be better however I can't look at this game and think we could win any other way but our offense just crushing them with points.  

As I said in another thread, I don’t understand how you can drop 7-8 in coverage in the red zone and still have guys running wide open.  After kicking a dumb squib and allowing UD to take over at the +35, why are corners giving 10 yard cushions with zero pressure/blitz?  That’s a personnel AND a scheme problem.  Hach was a TERRIBLE DC and yesterday, LJ’s defensive schemes reminded me of Hach’s.  Your offense puts 36 on the board, even with red zone issues, and you have to win EVERY.  SINGLE.  TIME. 

13 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Hard to win on the road.  Even more difficult when the refs were bad and you didn’t play near your best game. 

Defense needs to step up and get some pressure (not getting held and tackled on every play would help) 

also I see the chicken fans are upset “Towson players walked off without shaking hands”. I left shortly after the last play but the entire Delaware team stormed the field and swarmed the end zone... their fans were also extremely inhospitbilie to say the least. But I guess we  can’t blame them this was that programs biggest win in a decade 

That was Delaware's biggest program win since beating then #5 Elon, two weeks ago. 

19 minutes ago, MDBH said:

That was Delaware's biggest program win since beating then #5 Elon, two weeks ago. 

This one was bigger for obvious reasons