• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls at No. 5 UVa, 73-42 (official story up)

I’m just pointing out that while people say we have no shooters and I pull out juco free throw numbers and we still suck. I give up. Watch the team and hope they improve.

Bottom line is that those juco kids are the best shooters on the team. The freshmen have a lot of work to do in terms of shooting. I understand the criticisms in terms of recruiting freshmen shooters  and they are valid. The good news is that they already appear better than last years dismal class. Just look at Drayton not even playing until garbage time.

1 hour ago, Tigerone94 said:

Maybe I drink too much black and gold cool-aid from time to time but I really believe that this team will be different than most Skerry teams.  Not saying our won-loss record will be something to brag about.  It's only one game and between last night and this Sunday, we'll really not know for certain what kind of team we have.  This team will be unselfish, will make the extra pass and will shoot well (including FTs).  They'll rebound just as well as Skerry teams of the past.  Defense and point production from down low is what will trouble this team the most, especially with so much young talent on the court.  I believe every rookie played, which means no red shirts.  Not sure how I feel about.  Even a W&M poster on their board commented that he thought Towson would surprise a few after watching some of last night's game.  I'm looking forward to seeing the team live against Vermont and Morgan and hoping I won't be yelling "pass the ball" much any more.

Too early to tell about the extra pass but they were making that in the scrimmage. Last night, they took away most of the passing lanes and we basically just attacked the basket.

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

Based on Virginia, arguably one of the greatest defensive programs ever. 

Yes Virginia has a great defensive program, so if that is the reason why it does not appear that we do not have any shooters, I will trust you since you see more of them than I do.  As I mentioned in the chat last night though, there is no defense during a free throw.  I'll take 44% from the 3 point line but not the foul line

1 hour ago, Blazer49 said:

Yes Virginia has a great defensive program, so if that is the reason why it does not appear that we do not have any shooters, I will trust you since you see more of them than I do.  As I mentioned in the chat last night though, there is no defense during a free throw.  I'll take 44% from the 3 point line but not the foul line

Yeah we can make excuses all day or say it was one game.. but I hope the UVA crowd had an impact ... Because if we dont shoot atleast 65-70% from the line - Season is over before it began!!! Again tho - Ill be at the Vermont game - should be exciting. 

I was encouraged by what I saw from these Tigers. The one thing that bothers me and has bothered me is the lack of running offense to get shooters open in the halfcourt. I think this can be a good shooting team but it appears the only way they’ll get good looks against good defensive teams will be in transition. As for the freethrows I believe they’ll improve as the season goes on and they settle down. Think nerves played a big part of the poor performance. I’ve been there. Only thing that matters is getting better for CAA. 

• I am also very encouraged by this team. I saw them play in person at the scrimmage and at Virginia. I would like

to see more transition points as well as the guards driving to the lane and kicking it out to Fobbs, Bertrand, and Timberlake 

for a few more uncontested shots. Our press almost got their hands on a few steals which they should get better at as season goes on. I thought Skerry had these guys ready to play. I believe that venue anyone would consider a hard place to play. That arena must hold 1400 seats and they were almost full. Very good program at Virginia. Not going to write them off soon