• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

TOWSON 41, ELON 10 (story up)

https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/11/10/-20-football-earns-31-point-win-in-top-5-victory-at-elon.aspx

That was allegedly the #5 team in the nation?  A road win like that should look awfully good on the resume.  Too bad it wasn't the last game of the season and our last piece of evidence to the committee.

I've been tough on the defense most of the season but especially the last 2 weeks.  That was an excellent effort on their part.  They got to the QB consistently, stopped the regular running game, and came up with a number of key stops.  Offensively, the line was a bit porous on a few pass plays and it forced Flacco into some bad situations.  We're very lucky that the first pick went out of bounds instead of back to our 15 when the game was tight.  We're fortunate that the refs called Flacco's forward progress dead (rightfully so) and it didn't lead to a scoop & score when it was 24-10.  Hopefully, we've put away the ghosts of the previous 2 weeks and carry THIS performance into a really big game next week that could be for a share of the conference championship as well as that playoff berth we want so badly.

We definitely got some breaks today but even though the offense stumbled at times inside the 35 and Flacco took too many sacks, we moved the ball at will. Had 486 yards against one of the best defenses in the CAA. Flacco threw for 326 yards with three TDs and a pick. 

You have to give it to these kids. Most of us had the dead and buried though I thought we had a better chance in this game due to their quarterback situation. Greene was terrible today at 5-for-19 for 30 yards and while he did run for 73 yards, we held freshman sensation Jaylen Thomas to just 73 yards on 15 carries. He had over 200 last week. So the run defense was absolutely key.

It was a dominant performance even though it didn't seem like it until we scored two late rushing TDs and no, we didn't rub it in but just ran the ball and hell, we might need that 41-10 win if we lose next week. Is that going to be enough to get by. Logically yes, when you beat the No. 5/7 team on the road but we are Towson so...

Probably not. I don't know. That win today was so impressive on the scoreboard, how could they not put us in the playoffs with one of the better QBs in FCS? I guess the point is that they would put Delaware in over us because they beat us. But then the Stony Brook win would look as good.

I’m biased, but I think W’s over SB & Elon (on the road) gets us in, regardless of JMU next week. Even our 2 conference losses have been “good” (close L’s vs good teams). 

And I think the fact we have a high octane offense should help us in the eyes of the selection committee 

One thing we don't think about is the human element in this whole situation. While everybody is calling for RA's job after last week, he got this team back on track. Maybe he didn't do a good enough job getting them up after the Delaware loss but last week was another devastating last minute defeat. I don't recall ever witnessing those two type of losses in back-to-back weeks since I've covered the program. And we came back to kick ass today. Ambrose was on the post game and practically in tears. Knew that game meant everything to the program, to the team and to the coaches. 

Maybe that means postseason. But all you can ask is that they can play meaningful games in November in most years. We're going to have that next week and probably next season, assuming most key guys return.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m biased, but I think W’s over SB & Elon (on the road) gets us in, regardless of JMU next week. Even our 2 conference losses have been “good” (close L’s vs good teams). 

And I think the fact we have a high octane offense should help us in the eyes of the selection committee 

I hope so. The resume' is pretty damn good and both losses were in the last second. If BR catches that pass at the Delaware game, we might be undefeated in the league because we're showing up for that Maine game in the first half.

If I’m reading this correctly, we’ll be tied with JMU for 3rd (assuming they hold onto their 13 point halftime lead vs URI). 

Do 6 CAA teams get in? Even if only 5 (Maine, UD, JMU, Elon and ?) shouldn’t we get in as the 5th, over 7-4 SB?