• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Will a 4-1 Canadian trip lead to something bigger?

Ok, McGill looked pretty bad tonight. Hard to believe they took SMU to two overtimes the other night but I guess they just hit everything in sight. Their coach complained about playing 4 games in 5 nights. We played 5 games in 5 nights.  He also mentioned what a senior-laden team we have but with no Morman, it's really just Morsell, Starr and Keith. But those guys really weren't the difference. It was the sophomores.

Finally got a chance to watch this team tonight on the stream and sure, there are some issues. If we are going to play an athletic, pressing lineup (and we just mainly zone pressed tonight), we might not have our best shooters on the floor. Morsell is still Morsell. When he's on the floor with Zane, it almost seems like he defers to the sophomore.

When Zane becomes more of a 3-point threat, he'll be nearly impossible to guard. And I think he's close. He has to start but who sits? Starr is the point guard, if Martin is the 2, then who is the 3? Morsell? Morman? McNeill? A lot of options there but I think it's either Morman or Morsell off the bench. Still not sure about EK at the 4. Not bad as a high post passer but he's not a good enough threat as a shooter for teams to guard him tightly. Tonight, he was going against a small, finesse team so he didn't really have much impact on the game.

But Justin Gorham did. At 6-7, 234ish, he's got much more strength to post up and has a decent face-up game. Also active defensively. Just need to see him crash the boards more like Tunstall, who was wreaking havoc all night on D. Big Al Thomas was more active than I've seen him but he's not an instinctive post player. He's better facing the basket from the foul line. While Gorham is more confortable with that jump hook (he made 3 tonight). He was also active on D, which is important.

If Van Rolle, who was pretty good tonight, plays backup point guard, not sure where that leads Prophete, who didn't play tonight. Thought Ingram played well and fits this system because he's so darn athletic. McNeill also had a nice trip and Starr was solid.

PG Starr, Rolle, Prophete

SG Martin, Morman, Ingram

SF Morsell, McNeill, Drayton

PF Keith, Gorham

C Thomas, Tunstall

• Like 1

Matt, while EK has the weight, a 4 that's 6'5" is going to be handicapped, wouldn't you say?..

Meanwhile somebody needs to give Tunstall a season gift certificate to Pizza Palace (or if they're gone, LOTSA) as it sure wouldn't hurt for him to boost his wt.. John James was pretty good his senior year at 6'-8" / 180#; but that was Div I from 27 years ago; kids are bigger today, I fear for an injury..

Tunstall is 6-8, 215. Needs about 10 more pounds or he will play 10-15 minutes per game. Maybe a little more but Gorham needs to play about 20 and Keith, who knows. Not sold on his frame playing as a stretch 4 with a baby Barkley type of body. He didn't show much tonight but they didn't really have much size. I think he can take advantage of bigger power forwards by dribbling past them or shooting from the arc. If Gorham continues to improve, I think he'll ultimately start or get most of the minutes at the 4.

I was able to watch some of the game. Looks like we can possibly be a sleeper team by the time the season rolls around. The Coppin transfer surprised me with his play and Zane's potential is through the roof. I raved about him when I seen his high school highlights and can possibly be "the guy".

So, I see where Carleton, who we beat by 12 I believe, beat Bama by 13. And it's already been noted that we blew out McGill, who lost in OT to SMU.  Sounds encouraging, but I suspect some of our CAA opponents will be improved this year